Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Of the two, I'd give Fleury the edge just cause he's a highly regarded locker room guy alone whereas Smith is the opposite.
I'm only replying because it's you UC, but Smith is also very well regarded in the locker room. People have taken his intensity on the ice and his frustrated comments at the end and of the season and painted him as this guy his teammates hate, when every comment from former teammates and even the vast majority of Coyote fans have said he was very well liked in the room. Treliving and Maloney know Smith extremely well and would not have brought him in if he wasn't a good guy in the room.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm only replying because it's you UC, but Smith is also very well regarded in the locker room. People have taken his intensity on the ice and his frustrated comments at the end and of the season and painted him as this guy his teammates hate, when every comment from former teammates and even the vast majority of Coyote fans have said he was very well liked in the room. Treliving and Maloney know Smith extremely well and would not have brought him in if he wasn't a good guy in the room.

Smith just wants to win... He'll get what he wants if he provides solid goaltending. He's pretty underrated on HF. He's the only reason why the Coyotes made it to the WCF in 2012. Since then the Coyotes have been crap.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Actually, I was thinking more of when he was giving his teammates **** between plays and stuff, but you make a good point about Tre and Maloney knowing his history.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I just saw that on twitter and personally was really disappointed.

I know I will be in the minority as he somehow got to a cult-like level of love here from many fans but he was without a doubt one of my least favorite guys to ever play for the team and always comes off as a jerk when I see him interviewed.

Aug 3, 2010

I know I will be in the minority as he somehow got to a cult-like level of love here from many fans but he was without a doubt one of my least favorite guys to ever play for the team and always comes off as a jerk when I see him interviewed.

Maybe you should try and meet the guy.

It's fine not to like the role he played on the ice or how he performed as a whole while wearing a Calgary sweater. But off-ice, clearly many players (some of whom have struggled with addiction and other demons) as well as the general hockey community speak highly of his guidance and mentorship through difficult times.

Give him a chance. Or don't, I'm not your mother.

I like this signing a lot. There's a lot of new kids on the team who are experiencing elevated amounts of fame and money at a very early point in their lives, and all the vices that can come with those benefits. Very forward-thinking hire here; hoping he helps keeps the players focused on hockey and developing strong personal ties to those around them. I'm not saying players aren't allowed to party but everything in moderation.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Ignoring his on ice stuff because that is not indicative of how he does he job, a few items (Name beside guys he has done this with already):

- Great guy to have in regards to addictions education and how to get the help and support you need (Ferland, Poirier)
- Can teach guys how to maintain a proper NHL diet (Monahan)
- Can teach guys how to protect one's self (Monahan)
- Can explain to kids how to deal with demotion (Self)

It's fair to dislike his on ice stuff as Signature said. But he seems very qualified for the off ice work he does.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

What an ignorant and uninformed post, really. Grats has always been respected and loved by his teammates, he has been an instrumental person in getting both Ferland and Poirier sober. He's a good family man, has always been about the team, yet you claim he's a jerk. This hire is totally logical and makes so much sense, the public has been asking when he was going to officially re-join the team. Grats reminds me a lot of Diamond Dallas Page how he helped Jake the Snake and Scott Hall get clean.

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, so I would love to hear of the specific examples where he came off like a jerk.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What an ignorant and uninformed post, really. Grats has always been respected and loved by his teammates, he has been an instrumental person in getting both Ferland and Poirier sober. He's a good family man, has always been about the team, yet you claim he's a jerk. This hire is totally logical and makes so much sense, the public has been asking when he was going to officially re-join the team. Grats reminds me a lot of Diamond Dallas Page how he helped Jake the Snake and Scott Hall get clean.

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, so I would love to hear of the specific examples where he came off like a jerk.

Like I said whenever I have seen him in interviews, those stupid fat suits and other garbage he did when guys are being interviewed, his stupid reaction to Damien Cox.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
And remember, that's just who we know from this organization. He's had players from other organizations reach out to him for help and advice with substance abuse.

Tootoo and a few others IIRC.

Like I said whenever I have seen him in interviews, those stupid fat suits and other garbage he did when guys are being interviewed, his stupid reaction to Damien Cox.

http://www.diehardsport.com/nhl/flames-players-interrupt-cbc-hours-cowboy-hats-sumo-suits/

This?

How is this any different than Hudler with Pizza or Hamilton drive bys? Look, it's fine not to like McGrattan as much as the next guy, but your examples are just weird.

Probably better we all just agree to disagree.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd love to hear an explanation of how his reaction to Cox' comments was 'stupid'.

I had to look this up because I didn't recall the Damien Cox thing.

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/...y-brian-mcgrattan-goes-down-hard-in-ahl-fight

So he essentially flips out because he doesn't like how Damien Cox uses the word "suicidal", something that McGrattan is passionate about. I hardly consider that being evidence of being a jerk. Non professional, sure. But jerk? Cox touched a nerve and set Big Ern off. It happens.

Completely weird example of someone being a jerk.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'd love to hear an explanation of how his reaction to Cox' comments was 'stupid'.

Calling Cox a coward for sitting behind a keyboard and pen was pretty weak in my view. Also the way overreaction for the use of suicidal and then talking about Landsberg was a hero move in my view trying to show everyone how much he "cares" about the issue.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Tootoo and a few others IIRC.

http://www.diehardsport.com/nhl/flames-players-interrupt-cbc-hours-cowboy-hats-sumo-suits/

This?

How is this any different than Hudler with Pizza or Hamilton drive bys? Look, it's fine not to like McGrattan as much as the next guy, but your examples are just weird.

Probably better we all just agree to disagree.

I thought the Hudler stuff was dumb as well.

And yes probably best to agree to disagree as I doubt either one of us will change the others mind.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Maybe you should try and meet the guy.

It's fine not to like the role he played on the ice or how he performed as a whole while wearing a Calgary sweater. But off-ice, clearly many players (some of whom have struggled with addiction and other demons) as well as the general hockey community speak highly of his guidance and mentorship through difficult times.

Give him a chance. Or don't, I'm not your mother.

I like this signing a lot. There's a lot of new kids on the team who are experiencing elevated amounts of fame and money at a very early point in their lives, and all the vices that can come with those benefits. Very forward-thinking hire here; hoping he helps keeps the players focused on hockey and developing strong personal ties to those around them. I'm not saying players aren't allowed to party but everything in moderation.

And remember, that's just who we know from this organization. He's had players from other organizations reach out to him for help and advice with substance abuse.

These posts sum up my thoughts on the situation. I think this is a great signing. He could do wonders for Ferland and Poirier, and he was well respected in the locker room. I'd love to see Stajan in a role like this eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad