Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He was a terrible player that added nothing of value to the team. The fact that many fans tried to make into some sort of hero out there and now after his career makes it even worse.

Sure his time on the ice may not effect his role he currently has but it certainly soured me on him and I don't want a guy like that associated with our team.

So, to get this straight, you think he's a jerk because of his lack of hockey talent? Or you think he's a jerk because of how fans and media perceived him? Just trying to figure out the connection here to his personality.

Basically, with this statement, you're really making it clear that you just enjoy being edgy and subversive. You literally are choosing to hate him because he's well-liked.

Just looking at McGrattan in a vacuum, he's a guy who put his body on the line, selflessly accepted his role, and did everything off the ice he could to help other players. How things out of his control such as fan reaction and his talent level are supposed to trump those things in terms of personality is just laughable.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So, to get this straight, you think he's a jerk because of his lack of hockey talent? Or you think he's a jerk because of how fans and media perceived him? Just trying to figure out the connection here to his personality.

Like most things its a combination of things not just one simple thing. I was never of fan of him prior to his time with Calgary both on and off the ice. He always comes off as a jackass in interviews and with his comments. When he came to Calgary and was so god awful on the ice, a useless enforcer and then added to it with his stupid antics and stupid comments to Cox it just further cemented my dislike of him.

The fans reaction to him just makes it more frustrating but it certainly isn't a reason that I would use for my seeing him as a jackass.

Basically, with this statement, you're really making it clear that you just enjoy being edgy and subversive. You literally are choosing to hate him because he's well-liked.

Well other than the many other reasons that I have given I guess I could see how you would spin it that way. :shakehead

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He was a terrible player that added nothing of value to the team. The fact that many fans tried to make into some sort of hero out there and now after his career makes it even worse.

Sure his time on the ice may not effect his role he currently has but it certainly soured me on him and I don't want a guy like that associated with our team.

Terrible hockey player, have you heard of an enforcer? I mean, Grats was one of the last true great ones that remained in the game and in terms of value, while there maybe isn't a place for them today, there was a time that pretty every team in the NHL employed at least 1 if not more.

He's always been nothing but sheer class IMO, while playing a role that he understood and did perfectly. If you think he was a jerk, what in particular did he say to make you feel that way? I'd love to hear some actual quotes.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I have heard of enforcers and loved back when they were part of the game. Sandy McCarthy (prior to him fancying himself a sniper) was one of my favourite players, the night Oliwa fought 3 times with the Done crowd chanting his name is one of my favourite memories, the Ducks brawl and Nashville fight also are always worth a rewatch. I didn't find McGrattan to be particularly effective or impressive in that role while he was here.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I have heard of enforcers and loved back when they were part of the game. Sandy McCarthy (prior to him fancying himself a sniper) was one of my favourite players, the night Oliwa fought 3 times with the Done crowd chanting his name is one of my favourite memories, the Ducks brawl and Nashville fight also are always worth a rewatch. I didn't find McGrattan to be particularly effective or impressive in that role while he was here.

In Monahan's first season, the guy was undefeated on the ice. One of the only brights spots of what was a horrible season.

Aug 3, 2010
In Monahan's first season, the guy was undefeated on the ice. One of the only brights spots of what was a horrible season.

Not good enough, even though so many of the players especially younger ones publicly commented on how much they felt they could do their own roles on the ice because they knew McGrattan was on their side.

Worthless player and person. Did I mention how I think he's a jerk? Can't really explain why but he just seems like a toxic *********.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Not good enough, even though so many of the players especially younger ones publicly commented on how much they felt they could do their own roles on the ice because they knew McGrattan was on their side.

Worthless player and person. Did I mention how I think he's a jerk? Can't really explain why but he just seems like a toxic *********.

Holy ****. We are still doing this? I might as well throw in my 2 cents into this. My dad knows McGrattan on fairly personal basis and all I've ever heard from him is that McGrattan is one of the nicest and most genuine people around. He was always one the first person to offer to help a guy out. Not a mention of anything negative or toxic about the guy.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Holy ****. We are still doing this? I might as well throw in my 2 cents into this. My dad knows McGrattan on fairly personal basis and all I've ever heard from him is that McGrattan is one of the nicest and most genuine people around. He was always one the first person to offer to help a guy out. Not a mention of anything negative or toxic about the guy.

I think Signature was being sarcastic as I'm fairly certain he/she made an impassioned defense of McGrattan a page or two back.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I think Signature was being sarcastic as I'm fairly certain he/she made an impassioned defense of McGrattan a page or two back.

ah, okay. So I got all unreasonably angry for no reason. :laugh:

Either way, He's a stand up dude.

Aug 3, 2010
ah, okay. So I got all unreasonably angry for no reason. :laugh:

Either way, He's a stand up dude.

Ahaha well due to my trickery another story comes out about how McGrattan is a good dude.

Look, in the end I don't really care what any one poster thinks, positively or negatively, about this hire. The people who it matters most to (aka Flames' management and the players themselves) believe he will contribute and may lead to positive results on the ice, which is the best possible outcome.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I dont want to start GDT, so I'll ask it here. Any idea when the puck drops for the home opener? As in, will there be something more than the usual ceremonies etc after the announced starting time? Official starting time is 5AM here, I want to watch this live but wake up as late as possible also.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I dont want to start GDT, so I'll ask it here. Any idea when the puck drops for the home opener? As in, will there be something more than the usual ceremonies etc after the announced starting time? Official starting time is 5AM here, I want to watch this live but wake up as late as possible also.

Hard to say, but I would estimate the first half hour is all fluff. Why don't you just PVR the beginning, sleep until 5:30'ish then fast forward through the ceremony until you're caught up by the commercial break?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Hard to say, but I would estimate the first half hour is all fluff. Why don't you just PVR the beginning, sleep until 5:30'ish then fast forward through the ceremony until you're caught up by the commercial break?

I use a web-based service to watch the games (Viaplay) and you can actually watch the games for 48 hours after they've started. Quite often I start watching the game after I wake up in the weekends, but there's some problems if I start it when the game is still on. And I really want to watch this live.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Nice. Because of some customer meetings in the afternoon I'll be working* from home.

*watching hockey & answering to phone and email if there's something urgent

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Highly agree Calc.
Very excited to see Jagr, but it goes against all the always earned never given rhetoric we've been spouting for years to put brouwer or glass in ahead of Lazar. Decisions like this make me extremely nervous with Gulu going forward. He's either afraid to scratch the high earning underachieving vets because he's worried they'll cause room problems (which just means he's not strong enough) or he's enamored with the vets and unable to adapt quickly to their crumbling abilities (which means he's stupid)

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Lazar should be in. Not Glass or Brouwer. Excited to see Jagr play though. Jagr scores his first goal as a Flame tonight. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad