Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Honestly I'd love see Tkachuk, Bennett and Frolik. I think you could put Janko and Brouwer on Backlund's wing.

As good as that line would be, I think breaking up Backlund and Frolik is a mistake. Adding Frolik to them would take some of the heavy lifting off of Backlund though. Problem is I can't think of any two players that are left that would work well with Backlund.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ???
??? - Backlund - Frolik
??? - Bennett - ???

I think that much is basically written in stone. I do like the idea of Tkachuk and Brouwer with Bennett. I'm fine with Jankowski starting on the wing of Backlund as well. Gets harder minutes, and has Backlund/Frolik as role models.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Brouwer

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
http://www.tsn.ca/video/after-off-season-acquisitions-treliving-wants-focus-to-be-on-the-ice~1205226

- Bob asks if the success the Oilers are having is at all a motivating factor. Tre says watching 97 is either scary or motivating 1 of the 2. Says they have their own business and plan as to how to assemble their team but says you would be naive to not see what's going on around the league especially with 1 of your rivals. Build your team to play against everyone but it's not by accident that we bolstered our defence, however can't get lost in the noise. The Flames are focused on what the Flames are doing, says it's great for everyone to have the BOA back.
- Bob asks if the team how it's currently constructed can take the next step and contend for the cup this season. Tre says they're trying to stay out of expectations. Building a standard that they want to practice/play at everyday. First step for that is to get into the playoffs. Knows the group is very excited. If they can get the standard right, things have a tendency for looking after themselves.
- Says he likes our team, haven't exactly defined who we are, goal is to get us playing past the regular season and then take it from there.

My favourite 3 points out of the whole thing. The Flames should be focused on their own business first and foremost. Other teams will continue to improve but you can't get wrapped up in what everyone else is doing; you have to have your own plan and execute it as best you can. Sounds like Brad is all about that, thank god.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In regards to the post in the thread that was locked, I agree that Treliving is one of the top GM's in the league. I think he's learned from past mistakes, no Raymond or Brouwer was signed this offseason. But I think Jagr is a different animal because you know he's a top 6 winger. I think if the stars align just right, Jagr will be a Flame.

@Skobs, I agree that those guys are all likely in stone for being paired to start the year. But Backlund can play with anyone and so can Frolik, for that season I'd explore trying different combinations at some point. Also history shows us that chemistry between linemates doesn't always last it's more likely than not that we will see some players broken up at some point this year. Gaudreau will not play every shift with Monahan and neither will Frolik with Backlund.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This isn't really news, but I saw the Hamiltons eating at Cleaver (made uncomfortable amount of eye contact with Freddie as I tried to figure out how I recognized him) and I had to share because my friends and family don't care. lol

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
No

No more Brouwer with Bennett.

Pls Gulutzan, no Brouwer with Bennett. Put Brouwer on the 4th line and keep him away from the power play.

Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg needs to happen though (or Jagr instead of Versteeg).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
After Trelivings interview, it really sounded like he wants to give the kids a chance to make the team, and if they don't, then he'll look at an option like Jagr.

If scoring goals is his concern looking at our roster, then Jagr makes sense as an addition.

Aug 3, 2010
I posted this in the main thread:

Despite all the rumours speculation, it's definitely the route Calgary seems to be taking, and it's hard to argue as they do have prospects legitimately knocking on the door.

Jagr @ ~3.5m for ~50 points

vs

Prospect with potential @ 650-900k for ~30-40 points

I've mentioned many times I'd love to see Jagr in Calgary but the reality is that there's very little future potential with him and teams have to reward their youth if they can make noise, especially when they can save a few million in caphit for the rest of the season.

I don't mind either scenario occurring but with the amount of cap remaining (~5m) and expecting Jagr to sign around 3.5-4.5m, it's basically buying a
trade deadline acquisition in September. Hard to argue that if Foo or another forward surprises in camp, Treliving would rather take the low caphit player and wait until at least December before spending up to the cap.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I posted this in the main thread:

I don't mind either scenario occurring but with the amount of cap remaining (~5m) and expecting Jagr to sign around 3.5-4.5m, it's basically buying a
trade deadline acquisition in September. Hard to argue that if Foo or another forward surprises in camp, Treliving would rather take the low caphit player and wait until at least December before spending up to the cap.

If the Flames sign Jagr, I would bet he's with Bennett, and if he's going to be on the 3rd line, I doubt he gets 50 points. I think 30-40 is more realistic given his age.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-making-sense-matt-duchenes-situation/
24. Johnny Gaudreau was in a great mood, until he was asked if he’s re-watched last season’s series loss to Anaheim. “I did that my first playoffs, last year not so much. I was frustrated with how it turned out. The first game in Anaheim, I had a chance to tie it with 30 seconds left.” You could see him replaying it in his head as he discussed it. “I brought it to my backhand and all I had to do was lift it up…had an empty net. And (John) Gibson stuck his leg out and saved it. I just look back at it and it could have been a difference-maker.” What made it worse for Gaudreau is he liked the way Calgary was playing down the stretch. “I was excited to play the Ducks, we were finally going to win in Anaheim. Frustrating.” Gaudreau added he expects to be better in the defensive zone. “I was not as good as I could be…I want to be on the ice in the last two-or-three minutes, a guy (the Flames) rely on.”

Nice to see that Johnny is eager to improve on the defensive side.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Hope last season was a bit of a learning experience for Gaudreau as this was probably the first time he's faced real adversity in his otherwise dominant career. Fingers crossed he comes out with something to prove. He's going to need to since management didn't get him any help up front.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Poor Fleury. When he saw the expansion list he's probably like hey they won't be that bad.

Nope, they are worse then bad :laugh: pure class but I think Smith is a better goalie/more clutch

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Really wouldn't have made sense to acquire him at the deadline.

1. Elliott was playing much better
2. Johnson was a solid backup
3. Fleury was having a poor year

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Really wouldn't have made sense to acquire him at the deadline.

1. Elliott was playing much better
2. Johnson was a solid backup
3. Fleury was having a poor year

It would have been a good attempt though... Because we would have needed a goalie in the keeper's draft. Johnson + 2nd for Fleury would have been a decent trade. Pens trade our 2nd and something else to Vegas to not have them pick anyone (since Vegas was enticed to do almost whatever incentive came their way). And I'm sure we would have put Fleury in against Anaheim after going down 2-0, or something like that, and Fleury could have pushed us to 6 games, still losing.

It doesn't matter anymore though as I value Smith and Fleury the same.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
It would have been a good attempt though... Because we would have needed a goalie in the keeper's draft. Johnson + 2nd for Fleury would have been a decent trade. Pens trade our 2nd and something else to Vegas to not have them pick anyone (since Vegas was enticed to do almost whatever incentive came their way). And I'm sure we would have put Fleury in against Anaheim after going down 2-0, or something like that, and Fleury could have pushed us to 6 games, still losing.

It doesn't matter anymore though as I value Smith and Fleury the same.

I don't think they could have done that. I am like 99.5% sure Vegas HAD to claim a player from each team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Of the two, I'd give Fleury the edge just cause he's a highly regarded locker room guy alone whereas Smith is the opposite.

Hmm... he seems like the type of guy who likes playful jibs at his team mates. I feel like he's the type of person to get to know someone well and perhaps due to that intimate relationship, goes a bit far in pushing them?

Maybe it rubs people the wrong way? I think Subban does something similar, doesn't he?

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/8...up-as-teammates-tinder-profiles-for-halloween

Seems like a playful guy. I want a Smith vs Hamilton showdown!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

From first round pick, to playing in the RHL (I bet you didn't know this even existed).
Big Lefty, last played with Florida in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad