Around the Dome 2016-2017: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
24. As Calgary’s defence starts moving back towards its 2014-15 levels, Giordano said he never felt there was carryover from the arm injury that prematurely ended his season.

“It wasn’t physical, more mental. We were putting so much pressure on ourselves. None of us were producing, none of us were hitting our spots,” he explained last week. “Everyone thinks things turned around when we beat Dallas (4-3 in a shootout on Dec. 1), but I think it was Boston (three nights later). We fell behind on a penalty shot with a minute to go, but found a way to tie it and win in overtime. Now you’re on a little roll and your confidence grows. I’m glad we kept a positive attitude. It’s funny, in other years, the losing might not have been as big a deal, big expectations were up because of last season. If it goes badly, it can get negative pretty quick. We didn’t do that.”

Teams adjusted to Calgary’s home-run approach, forcing them into turnovers or missed plays. “We’ve been moving up and down the ice together, creating more. That makes us tough to beat. We were guilty of stretch plays…too many long passes, making us too easy to defend. When there’s no play to be made, we’ve done a lot better at swinging with everyone together, chipping the puck, using our speed to get it.”
25. Giordano on partner T.J. Brodie: “In the offensive zone, he jumps through seams. I’m open because he takes a forward with him.”

Have you guys talked about being paired together on Canada’s World Cup team?

“You know what, we haven’t. The way things have gone this year, it’s not on our minds. Honestly, I think (T.J.) deserves a lot of recognition. He’s taken another step, in my mind top five in the NHL for sure.”

Should Team Canada be forced to take both of you or neither? Giordano laughed.

“Yes, tell them we are a package deal. You can’t have one without the other.”

30 Thoughts - Elliotte Friedman

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
How Giordano, Brodie provide championship calibre defence AKA How Brodie is basically the Flames' system
They have become one of the safest 25 minutes in hockey, a tandem that many across the league really can’t tell you much about.

The undrafted Mark Giordano, who has long since become an elite NHL defenceman. And T.J. Brodie, a fourth-round pick plucked off the family farm near Chatham Ont., who is becoming a genuine No. 1 defenceman in his own right.

They’re Keith and Seabrook good right now, of Doughty and Muzzin pedigree, and have become the caboose of a Calgary team that simply doesn’t spend enough time in its own zone to lose many games these days. With a modicum of goaltending

“When they’re on their game, we’re winning games. They really drive our team,” said winger Sam Bennett, after a dominant 3-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning Tuesday evening. “Our whole team relies on them. It’s how you win championships, with (pairs) like that.”

On a team that was having trouble scoring, Giordano (4-7-11) and Brodie (seven assists) have turned up the offence over the past eight games. That’s 18 points in eight games from two defenceman who give head coach Bob Hartley 25 minutes every night — and Brodie really doesn’t see much power-play time, at 2:35 per night.

Brodie, they’re well aware of here. Soon enough, the rest of the National Hockey League will be aware as well.

“I think he’s the best defenceman in the league at creating deception,” said Giordano, who went on to explain that quote when asked. “So, other teams are forechecking. He’ll spin off them, look like he’s going to pass one way, and then skate it the other (way). He’ll basically break the puck out himself.

“Offensively, on the blue-line, he’s really good at fakes and opening up lanes for other guys. I benefit a lot from that — he opens lanes for me and I am able to get shots.”
Watch Brodie play from above, with Giordano’s explanation in mind, and you can see it plain as day. The entire forecheck shades to the left wing boards as his body language, his stick, and his eyes steer them that way.

Then, he jerks back to the right wing. There, he has an open lane to pass to a winger, who now has so much more time to collect the puck and make a play of his own.

“It’s so much easier than rimming it around the boards and having a winger trying to pound it out,” said winger David Jones. “Brods, the way he cuts back… I don’t think he ever makes the first play. He pulls a guy in, pulls back, and creates a play somewhere else.”

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Has anyone glanced at the schedule for this month? It's actually quite favourable for the Flames. A whole lot of winnable games. Just need to take advantage:

-Arizona at Home
-San Jose at Home
-Florida at Home
-Edmonton on Road
-New Jersey on Road
-Columbus on Road
-Carolina on Road
-Dallas on Road
-Nashville at Home

Obviously we won't win them all, but compared to prior months I feel like this is a big opportunity for wins.

This is not meant to be a jinx post.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wanted: Winger to play with Johnny and Monny
The job posting is not on LinkedIn and you certainly won’t be hearing from your recruitment agent regarding the vacancy.

But if you do, somehow, manage to get an interview and are lucky enough to finally get a parking stall and stack of business cards, it’s a well-known fact that the person — player — that fills this position has a short probationary period.

Like, literally, one period.

Because everyone in these parts know that the ideal candidate to play on the Calgary Flames top line with forwards Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan must contribute (or help contribute) on the scoresheet.
“I think that’s why we’ve had a revolving door over on that side,†forward Joe Colborne was saying on Sunday at the Scotiabank Saddledome as the team prepared for Monday’s clash against the San Jose Sharks. “If the results aren’t there, it’s changed right away. Those two are driving forces behind our offence. When they’re not scoring, usually we’re not having as much success.

“With the way they play, it’s quite a bit different than playing with the rest of our team. We’re a pretty conservative offensive group throughout the rest of the lineup.

“But, with those two, they’re trying to push the boundaries and create as much offensively as they possibly can.â€
“There’s a mental challenge to it, too,†said forward Josh Jooris. “They’re such elite players that sometimes you overthink when you have the puck.

“I think you have to curb that mental aspect of it and treat it as any other linemates on your team.â€
The daily duties of the ideal candidate?

“Go to the net, be a physical presence, get in on the forecheck,†Colborne suggested. “I’d get the puck and get it in their hands. That was pretty much it — put it into either of those two guys’ hands.â€

Simple, right?

“But it’s not always the easiest,†Colborne warned. “Those guys like to have the puck on their sticks, too. You have to be willing to play without the puck a lot and just know it could come to you at any second.â€
“Obviously, we’re trying to find ways to create a balance in our lines,†he said. “But, at the same time, (the objective is) to get production … we have to get goals, that’s the object of the game. It’s like a little bit like American Idol, I guess — auditions.â€
Martin Gelinas has seen this show before.

“If I was playing with Johnny and Monny, I’d drive the net, drive to the corners, go for the loose pucks and give it to them,†said the assistant coach and former Flames centreman. “If I played with those two guys, hey have enough skill on that line that someone’s gotta get the puck, get in the blue paint in front of that goalie and do the dirty work.

“I did it for Jarome.â€

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
^^
It seems so simple; don't let the play die on your stick, go to the net, dig pucks; do the dirty work... But no one's really run with it. Please Ferland or Bennett for an extended period. Please.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
^^
It seems so simple; don't let the play die on your stick, go to the net, dig pucks; do the dirty work... But no one's really run with it. Please Ferland or Bennett for an extended period. Please.

Ferland theoretically should be a good fit. He rarely keeps the puck on his stick for long, and he lives in the dirty areas and the corners. Whether he can keep pace is another question, though.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
To be fair Colborne isn't/hasn't been bad. He just probably isn't really a top 6 guy. Good 3rd liner who can jump up when you need him too.

Yeah except I was expecting him to play, and stick, on the top line as I though his board play would really compliment Monahan/Gaudreau. Classroom remembers my prediction had he been able to do so, and he reminds me of it quite often.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
@Fan960Steinberg: #Flames lines today: Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland; Bennett-Backlund-Hudler; Colborne-Granlund-Frolik; Bollig-Stajan-Jooris

@Fan960Steinberg: Frolik likely won't play tomorrow. Might be good to return in Edmonton. Hudler will play tomorrow, though. #Flames

@Fan960Steinberg: Bouma out for "quite a bit of time" with a lower body injury. Hartley says out a few weeks. #Flames

@Fan960Steinberg: Bouma suffered a cut late in the third period last night, so there’s your lower body injury. #Flames

Hopefully Huds/Bennett/Backlund can find a spark. Can't frickin wait for Frolik to be back though. And man, what a rough season for Bouma.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brad Treliving evaluating the first half of the season (radio interview)

Some highlights:
-Record indicative of play; inconsistent
-Most nights, count heavily on very young players; development ebb and flow
-Still building the team; still going through a transition period
-Wants more offense throughout the lineup; not just one line
-Mobile defence key to modern defence

-Brodie is the prodigal son (paraphrased)

-Granlund a 'tweener'; partly due to, in previous call ups, going from playing top minutes in all situations in the AHL to limited minutes on the fourth line in the NHL
-"So one of the things we've talked about is making sure we put players in the best position to have success" Hartley got told
-Granlund latest recall has him playing in a more offensive role; quality of competition he faces has increased; difference between NHL and AHL is that NHL'ers need to bring it every day

-"This a still a long view approach; I'll be very clear on that"
-"There is no appetite for short term fixes . . . at all"

-Zero appetite for throwing out picks and prospects for 15 games of a player
-Have internal decisions on what to do with free agents; will deal with those as they move forward
-"Manage the short term but continue to look longterm"
-Want to make the playoffs but also have to manage the team correctly for a longterm view

-Will be in touch with the players and their representatives to see where they're at, where the Flames are at
-Decisions can be made in the summer; UFA players can be kept
-Regarding the Cammalleri non-trade; supports Burke; not going to be known as the team that pedals for the sake of pedaling
-But at the same time, given where the organization is at, only so many chips you have at the card table; have to replenish that cupboard of picks and prospects

-Gaudreau and Monahan won't be extended tomorrow

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
^^^
Thanks for posting that man, I missed this interview and wanted to hear the highlights. Was looking for some info on the other thread before it was hijacked into a Ferland debate and who's a realist :laugh:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Listened to most of it, I really love Treliving. I truly believe we have a top 5 GM.

Agreed. Comes across as incredibly analytical and level-headed. Most teams are lucky if their GM is even one of those two things.

Also, those highlights sound a lot like BT last season, so based on that I definitely expect at least one pending UFA to be shipped out for picks/prospects. Hopefully Russell, at least.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
the poor little guy must have sustained more concussions than we thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad