Around the Dome 2016-2017: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I said on the main board a while back that Gaudreau is a top 10 forward in the NHL, right now. I wonder how much longer it's going to take before the rest of the league sees that. Hell if it was my vote, I'd probably try and put him top 5.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

tumblr_n9d0zeqbAk1ti6bhpo1_r3_400.gif

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
After the start the Flames had to this season, if you told me they'd be two points out of 2nd place in the division and were able to claw their way out of the bottom of the league in goal differential by Christmas, I'd ask if you bumped your head.

Not bad. Not too bad at all.

Imagine if the special teams didn't suck donkey butt.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
After the start the Flames had to this season, if you told me they'd be two points out of 2nd place in the division and were able to claw their way out of the bottom of the league in goal differential by Christmas, I'd ask if you bumped your head.

Not bad. Not too bad at all.

Imagine if the special teams didn't suck donkey butt.

Praise baby Jesus for little Jon.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames veteran Jiri Hudler struggles to find net as his time in Calgary winds down
“I’d be happier if I scored a couple more goals but we’re winning so nobody is all over me… until you write something,†laughed the soon-to-be 32-year-old in a rare interview with the Sun on Wednesday.

“Somebody told me I had eight more points last year at this time so obviously I want to score more, but roles on the team changed a bit. Obviously, we’ve got Johnny — I call him (Lionel) Messi. He’s running the show and he’s hot and I’m just trying to get in front and get traffic and let Johnny do his thing. I like to see them succeed, the young guys. Him and Monny score a goal and the faces they make afterwards are good for me.â€
He said he and the Flames have not talked contract and refused to comment when asked about re-signing here.

He’s as good as gone. The question is how much the Flames can get for him at this pace — a pace he isn’t panicking over despite the fact he clearly isn’t the same player he was last year.

“I never panic in my career and why start now?†said Hudler, who had 31 goals and 76 points last year, most of which came in the second half when his trio was the league’s most prolific.

“First, the season is not over yet. Also, it’s hard to repeat — even the superstars can’t repeat every year. Even the best players have months they’re not producing, but you just keep your head up.

“Am I happy with five goals? No. But can I go on a run and score some goals in a couple games? Yes. Am I thinking about it? No… until you brought it up — thanks for that.â€

Flames haven't talked contract with David Jones yet
"Anytime you're a UFA and your contract is expiring, you look at the possibility of being traded or sort of what's next. As far as this team, I haven't had any discussions with them. It's a matter of just going out and trying to win. Playoffs last year helps everyone and if we can get back there, I think it'll be good for everyone," said Jones.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't know if I like those comments about just hoping his linemates do all the work, but I also don't want to read too much into it. Obviously he's going to be trying to win hockey games however his instincts dictate is the best way to do so.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know if I like those comments about just hoping his linemates do all the work, but I also don't want to read too much into it. Obviously he's going to be trying to win hockey games however his instincts dictate is the best way to do so.
That's not how I took that comment at all. I took it as he didn't want to mess up what they were doing and wanted to add to it but is happy if they keep winning

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
His comment about Monny and Johnny is fine. But he seems way too relaxed and nonchalant about his lack of production.. Obviously you don't want him beating himself up too bad, but you'd think he's at least try to care? :dunno:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
His comment about Monny and Johnny is fine. But he seems way too relaxed and nonchalant about his lack of production.. Obviously you don't want him beating himself up too bad, but you'd think he's at least try to care? :dunno:

Of course he cares, the problem is unrealistic expectations. Hudler is in the midst of a season comparable to every other season he's had here except one. Last season was a blip on the radar, we all knew it, so why are we suddenly this down on him talking about his "lack of production" and saying he doesn't care?

I honestly don't understand how people come to these conclusions sometimes.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, like I say, you never really hope to get anything meaningful from players in interviews anyway, do you? There's always different ways to interpret anything, and they generally don't think too hard about what they say.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Of course he cares, the problem is unrealistic expectations. Hudler is in the midst of a season comparable to every other season he's had here except one. Last season was a blip on the radar, we all knew it, so why are we suddenly this down on him talking about his "lack of production" and saying he doesn't care?

Me neither - he's a fairly consistent 45-55 point winger. This year he's on pace for around 48 points. Appears to me that he's producing exactly as expected.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Agree. His lack of chemistry with JG has been a bit frustrating. Personally I hoped he could still put up 60 points this year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hudler is a different guy, so it's all about context. Sounds like by his panic comment, he hasn't changed a thing. It's just not going in this year for him and he obviously realizes it's Johnny's show and is doing his best to keep that going. Hopefully he does go on a run soon though, we could really use him and the increase of trade value would be sweet too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad