Error 503
Good idea for a thread, Calculon.

Retitle as desired.
E3egaDz.gif

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's kind of weird how bad we are on the PK. I guess both the fancy-stats and eyeball-test best PKers on our team being removed from the equation has really hurt the team.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
We've never cracked the top 10 in special teams since 2011-12 when we were 9th in the league for PK. That was under Sutter and Kipper had a large role in that. But under Hartley we've never been above average at either.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We've never cracked the top 10 in special teams since 2011-12 when we were 9th in the league for PK. That was under Sutter and Kipper had a large role in that. But under Hartley we've never been above average at either.

72.1% is far below anything we've experienced before, though. It's really bad.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
72.1% is far below anything we've experienced before, though. It's really bad.

Oh yeah I agree, my comment was just intended to question the team's PP and PK under Hartley. I mean we shouldn't be this bad in the PK with the defensemen/defensive forwards on the team, it's probably because of employing the less effective tactics.

And we certainly don't have the worst PKers in the league, I'd say if you look at just the players' abilities, we have better/equal PKers than the Coyotes, Jackets, and Leafs who currently take up 10th, 11th, and 13th right now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Oh yeah I agree, my comment was just intended to question the team's PP and PK under Hartley. I mean we shouldn't be this bad in the PK with the defensemen/defensive forwards on the team, it's probably because of employing the less effective tactics.

And we certainly don't have the worst PKers in the league, I'd say if you look at just the players' abilities, we have better/equal PKers than the Coyotes, Jackets, and Leafs who currently take up 10th, 11th, and 13th right now.

That said, though, Hartley took over a rebuild roster.

But interestingly, if you look at the 2001 Avalanche (who won the Cup), their PK was ever so slightly below the league average.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
New lines

I actually like Joe on the top line with Monny/Johnny; I really thought he gave an element that was lacking to that line; a big bodied forward that could create space and protect the puck. If you added that same size, with finish, on that line... hooo boy.

Is it just me, or does that third line look like it'll be worth a goal against every game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Granlund at center? Even that idiot Huska was smart enough to put him on the wing!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I actually like Joe on the top line with Monny/Johnny; I really thought he gave an element that was lacking to that line; a big bodied forward that could create space and protect the puck. If you added that same size, with finish, on that line... hooo boy.

Is it just me, or does that third line look like it'll be worth a goal against every game.
There is no Joe with Gaudreau and Monahan. Unless you meant Jones, then nevermind.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Maybe he was referring to the third period last game.

Also worth noting that Jones has always had good chemistry with Gaudreau every time they've played together.
I missed the third last game because I had to head for work. :laugh:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
First-quarter stats paint interesting picture

Kris Russell, Calgary Flames

The Stat: 33.2 shifts per game, first in the NHL.

The seven players who have played the most shifts per game include three defensemen from each of the Calgary Flames and Toronto Maple Leafs, and the workhorse of the Los Angeles Kings, Drew Doughty.

Russell also leads the League with the most power-play ice time without his team scoring a goal, with 32:41.

The Calgary Flames

The Stat: Outscored 60-27 during the final two periods of games, the widest discrepancy in the NHL.

The Flames have outscored opponents 18-14 in the first period, but have been outscored by 33 goals through the second and third periods, the widest margin by 13 goals. This is in stark contrast to last season, when Calgary outscored opponents 99-68 in the third period.

Meowmix

Apr 10, 2015
the Netherlands
Should really consider calling up Nakladal to replace Russel or Wideman for a game or two. Guy has 5 assists and a team-leading +7 with the Heat, according to the AHL stats.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Should really consider calling up Nakladal to replace Russel or Wideman for a game or two. Guy has 5 assists and a team-leading +7 with the Heat, according to the AHL stats.
You can't just call someone up without sending someone down. Nakaldal isn't going to be any better than Russell or Wideman either, I like him alot and he has played well in Stockton, but he plugging him into a 4/5 role in the NHL is a recipe for failure.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wasn't Smid sent down for conditioning the other day? Or are conditioning stints not counted like that.
A conditioning stint has no effect on anything. It's the same as if they are with the team. It uses a roster spot and counts against the cap. That is why they chose this week for the conditioning stint, since the Flames are in California he will be easy to get to rejoin the team if needed.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is going to be a bit rambly... but let's be reality for a second here. I keep seeing people posting about Matthews after every loss, but I hope that people realize that a top first-rounder (which there's no reason to believe the Flames can get, anyway, as we've never picked higher than fourth) can't change a team single-handedly.

The question really comes down to whether the team is actually this bad or not. I personally don't believe they are. Confidence and momentum are huge factors. We're losing games because our players are losing battles and making terrible decisions, and that kind of thing is often related to confidence. It's amazing to think back to the playoffs and think about how our forecheck got to be such a big story against the Canucks- nowadays we spend almost no time forechecking because when we get the puck, we can't even support it up to the redline most times before having to chip it to the other team. And these are the same players now as were around for that series (plus Gio, Hamilton and Frolik).

So I'm not looking forward to the draft right now. If we play this way solidly until the draft, I expect that we'll be playing this way the next year too, and probably the next year after that until we've managed to replace 6-7 key players on this roster. What I'm looking forward to is seeing this team get a bit of a spark. The playoffs are basically out of the question right now, but a strong run of games in a row could make a huge difference for the team just in terms of what next year can be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->