Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You have some weird obsession with Bennett....he is not that good.

The only value they are going to get out of Bennett is for some magic reason, he turns it around with the new coach.

Other than that he is a major disappointment if not a bust already around the league

Bennett has the greatest hairline of all time. I only speak the truth.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think I’d consider adding Bennett if they added Sprong.

Brodie, Bennett, Frolik for Kessel, Sprong and Maatta.
No way would they do tyat. We all know Bennett's value is in the shutter and Frolik's value is down due to a poor season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Bennett has more value than Sprong, Sprong has less than Sheary IMO. But it’s a steep ask. Brodie’s value is down as well.
It's steep but worth it IMO and Maatta could make a great shutdown pairing with Hamonic. Or if both Valimaki and Andersson make the team, he could play with Andersson and Valimaki with Hamonic. I thinking getting a young LD back in the deal is very good for us.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's steep but worth it IMO and Maatta could make a great shutdown pairing with Hamonic. Or if both Valimaki and Andersson make the team, he could play with Andersson and Valimaki with Hamonic. I thinking getting a young LD back in the deal is very good for us.

Gio - Hamonic
Maatta - Dougie
Valimaki/Kulak - Andersson

Looks pretty decent to me.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I dunno everytime I watch Maatta he looks like a slow soft give away machine to me. Never have been impressed with him other than his rookie year. Pretty consistently bailed out by his goalie or partner, has had a -CF rel for the last four years. But he did have good counting stats this year so who knows. Think there's a pretty big disparity between him and a not trash TJ Brodie.

Personally not a huge Kessel guy either. If any substantial moves are made I kind of hope Treliving gets some retribution for Lazar from Ottawa. Seems like there might be some more turnover there after the year they had. Dzingel, Stone, Hoffman, and Duchene are players I could see the Flames interested in.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Brodie, Frolik, Mangiapane to Pittsburgh for Kessel, Sheary
Stone to wherever for picks
Buy out Brouwer

Sign Tavares 7 years, $70,000,000
Sign Hickey 4 years, $12,000,000

Tkachuk - Tavares - Kessel
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Sheary - Backlund - Foo
Bennett - Jankowski - Lazar

Shore - Hathaway

Giordano - Hamilton
Hickey - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson

Kulak

Smith
Rittich

About $77.2 million cap hit.

Damn that top 6, and a really speedy bottom 6.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Let's say Treliving wants to get Kessel, I wonder what it'd be worth to Toronto to remove their retention on him for the last 4 years of the deal?

Maybe they send something to Pittsburgh which would reduce the cost to acquire Kessel for the Flames?

Something like:

To Pittsburgh: Frolik and Kapanen
To Calgary: Kessel @ $8 million AAV
To Toronto: Kessel's retention removed from their cap

Just a rough idea

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Let's say Treliving wants to get Kessel, I wonder what it'd be worth to Toronto to remove their retention on him for the last 4 years of the deal?

Maybe they send something to Pittsburgh which would reduce the cost to acquire Kessel for the Flames?

Something like:

To Pittsburgh: Frolik and Kapanen
To Calgary: Kessel @ $8 million AAV
To Toronto: Kessel's retention removed from their cap

Just a rough idea
Pretty sure that's not possible. Once salary is retained, it's for the life of the contract; there's no way to stop.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Pretty sure that's not possible. Once salary is retained, it's for the life of the contract; there's no way to stop.

I think you’re right. Closest thing we could do along those lines would be to somehow absorb retention on another of Toronto’s active contracts, but I don’t think there is anyway to do that in the current CBA.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Brodie, Frolik, Mangiapane to Pittsburgh for Kessel, Sheary
Stone to wherever for picks
Buy out Brouwer

Sign Tavares 7 years, $70,000,000
Sign Hickey 4 years, $12,000,000

Tkachuk - Tavares - Kessel
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Sheary - Backlund - Foo
Bennett - Jankowski - Lazar

Shore - Hathaway

Giordano - Hamilton
Hickey - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson

Kulak

Smith
Rittich

About $77.2 million cap hit.

Damn that top 6, and a really speedy bottom 6.
Good luck with that trade.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Treliving on verge of announcing assistant coaches

“Would we like to add a pick? Sure, but we’re not going to trade a player just so we can stand up there Friday night,” said Treliving who spent this week meeting with his pro scouting staff to assemble their rankings for the NHL Draft on June 22 in Dallas.
Without those picks, the Flames have worked hard at trying land college and European players through free agency.

To no avail.

“Still fishing in those waters,” said Treliving.

“We’ve been very active there – we haven’t reeled anything in at this point. There were three guys we were pushing hard on, and a couple went elsewhere. A couple decided to stay in Europe another year, too.”
“Speed – you need speed,” he said when asked what he’s gleaned from this spring’s tourney.

“The speed and tempo has never been higher, and we’ll probably say that again next year and the year after that. But like every year, you have to be careful of it – there are certain players who can get you to the playoffs and certain players who can help you win in the playoffs. You need to have a blend, to play in all different situations.

“You need that mix of speed and skill and competitiveness.”

Brad Treliving is on the verge of announcing his assistant coaches.

Following an exhaustive search that included interviews with a vast number of candidates, the Calgary Flames GM is confident he’s found the right men.

Flames fans will be happy to hear one hire is a veteran coach with a proven track record running power plays.

The other will oversee the defensive side of things.

Expect an announcement this week.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
From the same article:
Peters got a chance to sit down with backup goalie David Rittich and Backlund, who subsequently captained Sweden to gold.
“He was outstanding,” said Treliving of his second-line centre who was a surprise pick to wear the ‘C’ for Sweden at those worlds.
He had a leadership role there, and he was a big part of that team. He drove them in a lot of ways. The big picture is any time you win something, you take something from it.”
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Rumour is Kucherov won’t extend with Tampa

Extended Kucherov

For

Hamilton
Mangiapane
Kylington
Where did you see that?
Report: Kucherov's agent doesn't expect him to sign extension this summer - Sportsnet.ca
Milstein stressed that Kucherov wants to remain in Tampa Bay, though, but neither side is rushed to make a long-term deal given the fact that the 25-year-old is set to be an RFA as opposed to a UFA.
“He wants to stay in Tampa,” Milstein told Smith. “He doesn’t want to go anywhere. Worst-case, it’s arbitration, they’re not going to lose him. Both sides want him to be in Tampa.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad