Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I honestly cannot imagine a worse bottom six on this team by simply calling up the right kids from the farm. Unless we plan on trading half the team or filling it with a bunch of overpriced FAs the kids will need to step up next year or we're hooped. Bounces is right in a way, we need cheap talent to round out our forward group next year in addition to landing a top 6 talent of some kind via FA or a trade. I'd rather sink with our kids then get saddled with more Brouwer type contracts on this team.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pro-scouting needs to step it up. On top of the top six talent they desperately require, they also need to find at least one cheap stop gap bottom six'er through a minor trade or free agency that can put up somewhere around 15-15 while playing third or fourth line minutes. The farms hands are insurance and depth; they can't all be promoted at once. Keep one spot free for the lot of them to compete over; the best stays up while the rest are sent down.

Possible UFA candidates: Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Michael Grabner, Matt Calvert, or Jannik Hansen

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Pro-scouting needs to step it up. On top of the top six talent they desperately require, they also need to find at least one cheap stop gap bottom six'er through a minor trade or free agency that can put up somewhere around 15-15 while playing third or fourth line minutes. The farms hands are insurance and depth; they can't all be promoted at once. Keep one spot free for the lot of them to compete over; the best stays up while the rest are sent down.

Possible UFA candidates: Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Michael Grabner, Matt Calvert, or Jannik Hansen

I'd be ecstatic to get Riley Nash.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He had career highs in goals, assists and points, all by a decent amount too. I'm not sure how anyone could say he was **** this year.

Word was their kid Heinen carrier that line with him and Backes. I don’t know, beacause I didn’t watch Boston much... but I stayaway from UFAs from career years.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
All of: Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington, Dube, Mangiapagne, Klimchuk and Foo have legitimate shots at being on the roster next year. Unless the Flames sign a topline player, they have literally no reasons to sign anyone else. This comes after a season after graduating Janks, Kulak and I’ll even say Lazar.

Out of the group, maybe 1, at most 2 may make minor contribution this year. I wouldnt count much on them.

But I agree, the Flames need to sign a real FA, not another Brouwer type.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Word was their kid Heinen carrier that line with him and Backes. I don’t know, beacause I didn’t watch Boston much... but I stayaway from UFAs from career years.
Regardless of whether he carried the line or not, 41 points for a guy with a previous career high of 25 points is impressive. As for whether we should be interested in Nash, it would all depend on the contract IMO. Like you I wouldn't pay him for his career year, but if he would do 2x2, I would have interest as I see him as a versatile bottom 6 forward (C & RW) good for 20-25 points, reliable defensively and moderately physical.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Out of the group, maybe 1, at most 2 may make minor contribution this year. I wouldnt count much on them.

But I agree, the Flames need to sign a real FA, not another Brouwer type.

For sure, a “minor contribution”. Those 4th line, bottom pairing minutes should all come from players like the ones I mentioned. We’re talking 8-10 minutes a night with maybe 1 or 2 of those guys really surprising.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hopefully they can get Johnny some help. Dude looks like he is mentally broke down in the last few months.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
31st in goals Tkachuk, Monahan and Backlund are the only forwards who finish above 45 points. Pretty much this season but even worse.
He said without Gaudreau. Backlund wouldn’t have hit 45 without Tkachuk, this year at least. Worse than the Sabres or just as bad. Brings up an interesting debate though. If you can clean up on futures with Gaudreau, plus a couple of top draft years, is the team better off or worse? The absolute last thing I want to see this team be is mediocre for the next decade, especially considering the Oil have probably the best player in the game.

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He said without Gaudreau. Backlund wouldn’t have hit 45 without Tkachuk, this year at least. Worse than the Sabres or just as bad. Brings up an interesting debate though. If you can clean up on futures with Gaudreau, plus a couple of top draft years, is the team better off or worse? The absolute last thing I want to see this team be is mediocre for the next decade, especially considering the Oil have probably the best player in the game.
Given that a re-rebuild, even if successful, would set the team back roughly 3 years, you can say goodbye to top tier dman Giordano and you also have to either pay up on Hamilton's UFA contract or trade him in his last season, I'd guess it would be worse rather than better. Especially because the kids you get from a Gaudreau trade will likely not be as good as Gaudreau is.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I wonder if we could get a discount on a good player who had a bad playoffs.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Backlund captains team Sweden to the IIHF championship. Haters in shambles!

Time for Gio to step aside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce