Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Jagrbombs all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm pretty sure we can find plenty of evidence in your posting history to suggest otherwise.

Be my guest. I'll tell you things I've said

- Kulak has more upside than Tyler Wotherspoon and Ryan Culkin (I don't think I was wrong)
- Kulak is a better defenseman than Deryk Engelland or 2017 Dennis Wideman. (I'm not wrong, not matter how much people make up narratives about Deryk Engelland being a warrior)
- Kulak is an NHL defenseman, while Jyrki Jokipakka and Matt Bartkowski were not in the same role (I still contend this)
- Kulak needs to work on discipline but his ability to skate, pass, and read plays makes him the optimal option on our 3rd pair (I still contend this)
- Kulak-Stone is an optimal 3rd defense pair (Although I'd prefer someone less expensive and better than Stone, like Colin Miller)

Apparently, all of the above means Kulak is the most overrated Flame ever... because some of us think he's an NHL defenseman and a team that doesn't have six NHL defenseman sans him should be playing him.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't get how Kulak is having this great impact when he a. is a bad hockey player and b. isn't any better or worse than Bartkowski?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
As a Devils fan, I can offer up Palmieri or Hall for Bennett + Fox.

God no to Palmieri, but Hall would be interesting.

I think as others have mentioned his contract would be a bit of a concern, but take out his Oiler history and he would be a good fit on that top line.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pretend?

So either

1) "Momentum" isn't a psychological factor in games
or
2) the Flames have had as many momentum swings in these games associated with our third pair getting trapped in their own zone, usually resulting in goals against, or penalties against, or desperate line changes on the fly. And yes - at times penalties have been taken with Bartkowski on the ice by other individuals because of Bartkowski's inability to deny zone entries or exit the defensive zone early and efficiently.

Nope. Neither of these follows from me rejecting your claim. This is a false dichotomy.

Here's the lemma which is required to make your logic valid:

NHL players can't get better or worse from game to game due to any reason other than personnel changes amongst the other players in the lineup.

If this is really what you think, so be it, I'll let you try and fight that fight. But I doubt that. As we can probably agree that this is false, then the distinct, and very likely possibility exists that the team, as a whole, started playing better due to the ass-kicking that Gulutzan gave them after the Hurricanes game. That the team would have been better these last two games even if Bartkowski was still in. I've already claimed that I agree that Kulak has been better than Bartkowski. What I find to be a ridiculous, self-aggrandizing claim is that Kulak has been the major factor responsible for the overall improvement of the team. There has been no visual evidence to suggest that we can oversimplify to that degree. You believe you can because it was what you were predicting. It's classic confirmation bias.

I think it's completely farcical to think that the third pairing being hemmed in for 2-3 more shifts during a game is what leads to better puck support on the rush, giving the puck carrier multiple passing options. Those kinds of things are team play things that require improvement from everyone. Given we got that collective improvement, one could even make the claim that Kulak has looked better than Bartkowski only because the team around him has done a better job supporting him and given him an easier task than they gave Bartkowski.

And if you dispute that, OKG, then either:

1) Puck support doesn't prevent players from turning the puck over and getting hemmed in
or
2) The Flames were hemmed in just as much these last two games

See how that works?

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Something around Bennett for Galchenyuk is what I think we should be pursuing right now. Bennett has looked better on the wing but I truly believe he needs to be free from our expectations/pressures if he's ever going to succeed. Ditto Galchenyuk- he could return to 30 goal form if put in a position to succeed.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Something around Bennett for Galchenyuk is what I think we should be pursuing right now. Bennett has looked better on the wing but I truly believe he needs to be free from our expectations/pressures if he's ever going to succeed. Ditto Galchenyuk- he could return to 30 goal form if put in a position to succeed.

Galchenyuk is a left shooting left winger (wanna be center) isn't he?

I think I would rather take a chance on Bennett than make a move for Galchenyuk who potentially has attitude/work ethic issues (based on it now being two coaches he hasn't worked well with) and doesn't really fit that RW need we have.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Galchenyuk is a left shooting left winger (wanna be center) isn't he?

I think I would rather take a chance on Bennett than make a move for Galchenyuk who potentially has attitude/work ethic issues (based on it now being two coaches he hasn't worked well with) and doesn't really fit that RW need we have.

We've seen Gaudreau at RW in the past, and the exact same things can be said about Bennett. Galchenyuk has just shown that the potential is real (30 goal season, 26 goal season, over 50 points twice), while bennett is still trying to prove that. At this point, I'm not sure Bennett can achieve this here, while Galchenyuk could certainly use a breath of fresh air from Montreal.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
We've seen Gaudreau at RW in the past, and the exact same things can be said about Bennett. Galchenyuk has just shown that the potential is real (30 goal season, 26 goal season, over 50 points twice), while bennett is still trying to prove that. At this point, I'm not sure Bennett can achieve this here, while Galchenyuk could certainly use a breath of fresh air from Montreal.

I am not sure that the same things can be said about Bennett because I haven't heard any comments from Hartley or Gulutzan about him or seen either of them demote him down to the 4th line.

I guess if we are moving Gaudreau to the RW to try and shoe horn Galchenyuk in there I would rather try it with Bennett first to see if it works with him. If they do that and it doesn't work then sure lets take a look at that deal.

I would hope that there would be a better fit out there for a Bennett deal (ideally right shot with some size) other than Galchenyuk which seems to be a bit too much like for like (left shot, maybe center more potential than production) deal.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I am not sure that the same things can be said about Bennett because I haven't heard any comments from Hartley or Gulutzan about him or seen either of them demote him down to the 4th line.

I guess if we are moving Gaudreau to the RW to try and shoe horn Galchenyuk in there I would rather try it with Bennett first to see if it works with him. If they do that and it doesn't work then sure lets take a look at that deal.

I would hope that there would be a better fit out there for a Bennett deal (ideally right shot with some size) other than Galchenyuk which seems to be a bit too much like for like (left shot, maybe center more potential than production) deal.

He's played on the fourth line for stretches of three separate games this season, including several shifts in the third yesterday. Further to that, all of the Galchenyuk bad attitude rumors have come from the toxic media environment in Montreal rather than from Team Sources (one report of him needing rehab came from a former coach known to go on drunken DUI rants about players, etc). Add to this that Gally was successful and a top 6 player until Claude Julien got there and the pieces start falling into place. Further, one of the biggest pluses for Gally in his draft here was that he was extremely coachable and smart (the opposite of what we're now hearing...)

I think you're buying into the media too much. Bennett hasn't even come close to sniffing Galchenyuk's jock strap yet in this league. The reason I'm proposing this is that it's a great buy low scenario. The problem is that we're also selling low. The player that you want just isn't available around the league, especially not for Sam Bennett. I also think that if our media was as vicious as Montreal's we'd be up to our knees in stories about Benny's attitude and personal life.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He's played on the fourth line for stretches of three separate games this season, including several shifts in the third yesterday. Further to that, all of the Galchenyuk bad attitude rumors have come from the toxic media environment in Montreal rather than from Team Sources (one report of him needing rehab came from a former coach known to go on drunken DUI rants about players, etc). Add to this that Gally was successful and a top 6 player until Claude Julien got there and the pieces start falling into place. Further, one of the biggest pluses for Gally in his draft here was that he was extremely coachable and smart (the opposite of what we're now hearing...)

I think you're buying into the media too much. Bennett hasn't even come close to sniffing Galchenyuk's jock strap yet in this league. The reason I'm proposing this is that it's a great buy low scenario. The problem is that we're also selling low. The player that you want just isn't available around the league, especially not for Sam Bennett. I also think that if our media was as vicious as Montreal's we'd be up to our knees in stories about Benny's attitude and personal life.

I did try to qualify my bad attitude comment but probably didn't go far enough. I only mentioned the attitude thing because he has had issues with two coaches now. Montreal badly needs scoring up front and yet two (qualified) head coaches have both decided it was better for Galchelnyuk to be on the 4th line rather than in a key role.

My concern with Galchenyuk is that in my viewings of Montreal they have been justified in their decision. He doesn't look good at all, doesn't seem willing to do the things needed to help a team out, doesn't seem to have progressed at all, in fact he has clearly regressed. Now it might just be bad luck, it might just need a change of scenery but with two coaches both coming to the same conclusion my concern is that it is more about Galchenyuk a. not wanting to do the work or b. sulking that he is being asked to be something other than a scoring 1st line center. Now I will gladly admit that is wild speculation on my part but it does raise a red flag for me none the less. I had no idea there were any off ice issues until I read them in this thread.

As for Bennett, as frustrating as he has been I have never questioned his effort or his willing to do anything needed to help the team win. I think he gets him self in trouble by reaching way to much and generally being "loose" with his stick. I think he needs to be taught that he can't get away with that kind of stuff like he did in junior. I think with hindsight he really could have used last year in the AHL to work on those exact things and he is at a bit of a disadvantage now having to try and refine his game in the NHL on a team that doesn't have the offensive depth to mask those issues right now. And as you say Bennett has had stints on the the 4th line but not for long periods of time and he seems to play himself off that when dropped down there.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree 100% with Baxterman. We don’t need a player with attitude and drinking issues. I’d rather roll the dice on Bennett who we know works his tail off and is liked in the room. I don’t have a problem taking a guy who’s turned his life around, but it looks like Alex is still struggling. Galchenyuk could totally disrupt the room and you have to wonder what the heck is the issue with the Habs right now?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Andersson/Kylington + shinkurak + brouwer for galchenyuk + 3rd

Maybe it would have to be Poirier instead of shinkurak.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Andersson/Kylington + shinkurak + brouwer for galchenyuk + 3rd

Maybe it would have to be Poirier instead of shinkurak.

Montreal is trying to win now and needs scoring help. I can't see them giving up Galchenyuk for a bunch of pieces that don't help them now and possibily never play for them at all.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Would rather not waste assets to pick up Galchenyuk when we're more or less fine at C.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Flames should be looking to trade Andrew Mangiapane. I love him but this is the perfect opportunity to trade from a position of strength (LHS wingers, since we have Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Ferland/Frolik who are basically our four best wingers) for a possession of weakness (RW). I think with the right team he could become the next Brad Marchand or Jake Guentzal so we have to be very careful to properly sell high on him. He won't flourish here but elsewhere he could explode.

I'd be looking at Daniel Sprong or Kasperi Kapanen personally.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I still think Bennett can be a good player he just needs to learn how to finish. Maybe as soon as he gets his first goal the floodgates will open its too early to make decisions. What i do know is this year and maybe next year if you stretch it are his only 2 seasons to prove hes a top 6 player in this league or else hes gonna be a journeyman.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Flames should be looking to trade Andrew Mangiapane. I love him but this is the perfect opportunity to trade from a position of strength (LHS wingers, since we have Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Ferland/Frolik who are basically our four best wingers) for a possession of weakness (RW). I think with the right team he could become the next Brad Marchand or Jake Guentzal so we have to be very careful to properly sell high on him. He won't flourish here but elsewhere he could explode.

I'd be looking at Daniel Sprong or Kasperi Kapanen personally.

I think Fischer from AZ would be a decent option too, however, I believe they have the same problem in RW depth.

Is there even a team that has a surplus of RW prospects/players? It seems like RW depth generally is the weakness for most teams.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think Fischer from AZ would be a decent option too, however, I believe they have the same problem in RW depth.

Is there even a team that has a surplus of RW prospects/players? It seems like RW depth generally is the weakness for most teams.

Nashville has more RWers and RHS players in general than they do LHS, Anaheim is half half. Carolina although is weak on RW, has a ton of RHS and RW prospects. Zykov, Necas, Roy, and Gauthier are some of them.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Puljujarvi and Bennett both struggle by January, anyone want to do rare Edmonton-Calgary trade? Gives us that RWer with elite potential. Gives McDavid one of his best buddies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Flames should be looking to trade Andrew Mangiapane. .

Unfortunately nobody is as high on Flames prospects as you are. Mangiapane has less trade value than a used puck.

Also, team just dont trade their good prospects for others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad