OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Horvat shoots left though.

bo-horvat-canucks-nhl-1300.jpg

Well I'll be.
Mind=Blown

I wonder why I had in my head he was a right shot.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist
Aug 21, 2014
I don't see the point of moving Brouwer unless we get picks or prospects for Brouwer straight up. The only important UFA this season is Backlund and at most he's getting his current salary + Stajans. Next season might get a little hairy when Tkachuk, Bennett and Ferland are FAs.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I know OKG is against it, but anyone up for Brouwer and Kulak for Shaw?

Nope. As I said in your main boards thread, I like Shaw but I don't like tying up a roster spot on a complimentary player for as long as his contract goes (5 more years), especially with Dube, Jankowski and Mangiapane all NHL ready within a year in my opinion, and wildcards like Foo in the wings as well.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Nope. As I said in your main boards thread, I like Shaw but I don't like tying up a roster spot on a complimentary player for as long as his contract goes (5 more years), especially with Dube, Jankowski and Mangiapane all NHL ready within a year in my opinion, and wildcards like Foo in the wings as well.
Yeah, that would be awfully moronic

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
While enjoying the ride so far, I really hope Gully lets things settle and reduces the time he sends the lines through a blender.

That being said, I decided early that I wouldn't bother extrapolating what I see until game 10.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
While enjoying the ride so far, I really hope Gully lets things settle and reduces the time he sends the lines through a blender.

That being said, I decided early that I wouldn't bother extrapolating what I see until game 10.

Biggest part of the blender routine is juggling the lines during and after our copious amounts of penalties. If the team slows down in that regard, it will certainly help a bit.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Biggest part of the blender routine is juggling the lines during and after our copious amounts of penalties. If the team slows down in that regard, it will certainly help a bit.

One thing I was telling my buddy is that IMO the blender thing isn't a huge issue as it probably allows better chemistry if lines are juggled late season due to injuries, trades etc. It's something that IMO will benefit more later in the season than now. Currently IMO, the juggling is adding to the systems re-learn. Our team has more to fine tune at first than some of the other rosters. However, learning how to do it will benefit us greatly longer term.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
One thing I was telling my buddy is that IMO the blender thing isn't a huge issue as it probably allows better chemistry if lines are juggled late season due to injuries, trades etc. It's something that IMO will benefit more later in the season than now. Currently IMO, the juggling is adding to the systems re-learn. Our team has more to fine tune at first than some of the other rosters. However, learning how to do it will benefit us greatly longer term.

I agree that this is a benefit, but I also think it can't be understated that it also gives matchup problems to opposing teams. If you have Monahan and Gaudreau together for a game it makes the pairings easy to match up. If they split up halfway, one of them or the 3M line is getting significant 3rd pairing opposition, which I think has been helping Johnny immensely so far this season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I agree that this is a benefit, but I also think it can't be understated that it also gives matchup problems to opposing teams. If you have Monahan and Gaudreau together for a game it makes the pairings easy to match up. If they split up halfway, one of them or the 3M line is getting significant 3rd pairing opposition, which I think has been helping Johnny immensely so far this season.

I don't disagree. But I also think it's a double edged sword. It gives a matchup problem for the opposing team, but they likely have a chemistry established line vs what we send out. Our lines need to figure out on the fly what they have with one another, then play to those strengths. Our group is fine tuning playing with all sorts of different lines as well as the new puck moving goalie system Gully has invented. I'm also further interested to see what the systems looks like when Lack plays, but that's another thing to fine tune and learn against other NHL teams. On paper we should have a slow start. But with a bit of puck luck, it's been a fantastical couple runs of chaos IMO. I haven't had this much fun since Bob's cardiac kids run. But unlike that group, a heck of a lot of confusing stuff has been seen on ice as well.

A coach probably looks at a line of JG - Stajan - Brouwer and gets confused whether to send a 4th line against them (shredded to pieces) or a a middle 6+ line against them. Our line either matches the talent thrown at it or flounders. A smart coach looks at that disjointed line and sends his best to see if he can shred that line to pieces which I think we've seen so far.

I guess it's just pros and cons, eh? But IMO it also means the group (knowing one another deeper by playing on lines with one another) is closer and can play off each other in ways that other teams can only imagine later in the season due to them doing this "blender exercise" or whatever you want to call it. Once they master it though, it'll be like different settings we can tweak mid game. Some coaches don't do enough to tweak, IMO Gully does too much to tweak. But Gully knows when to abandon or mod a tweak (ie: last season simplifying after the Ottawa game to get the team to buy in) and since he has a good point padding right now, I say let him experiment and see if he can find some more interesting line combos to deploy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the line juggling is being made a bigger deal than it really is. Most lines don’t stay together longer than 1-2 seasons unless it is a really special combo. Juggling lines is a good thing, when a line goes cold (which every line does), it can spark a guy or at the very least it sends a message to a player to pick up his play. It makes it harder for opposing teams to game plan against and if a combo catches fire, that can really turn around a season for players that are struggling. It would be nice if Johnny and Monahan or Backlund Frolik just always played amazing together, but it’s not realistic over 82 games. Lines are juggled, then re-juggled and then put back together again.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Some rumors of Sam Reinhart being shopped. Would you do Bennett for Reinhart if it were offered? Reinhart has better numbers, but he's also been in their top 6 primarily.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Some rumors of Sam Reinhart being shopped. Would you do Bennett for Reinhart if it were offered? Reinhart has better numbers, but he's also been in their top 6 primarily.

I would have to think long about that one. I do think Bennett has a higher ceiling but I like what I am getting in Reinhart right now. I think he could play on the right side on that top line and fit in well with them because of his IQ.
Although that line would be pretty soft and have defensive issues but they have defensive issues now and with Hudler so no real change there.

I think it would really have to depend on Jankowski and if he can fill that 3rd role so that line wouldn't also be a bit of a black hole like the 3rd line. Also with O'rielly and eichel I am not sure Bennett would be what Buffalo would be looking for.

Ultimately I probably would be too worried it would bite me in the ass and just hold on to Bennett but it is an intriguing idea.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm not saying I'd jump at the offer, as both players have flaws. It's interesting though. Reinhart is a RHS, which is something the Flames could really use, and he could likely slot into the top 6. Again, I'd only consider it if either Jankowski or Lazar could fill that 3C role (and I wouldn't hold my breath for Lazar.)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Reinhart is a RHS so yes. But the Flames would probably have add something relatively small.

But Reinhart is in that same category of 'is he a centre or a winger'.

Reactions: Dack

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Reinhart is a RHS so yes. But the Flames would probably have add something relatively small.

But Reinhart is in that same category of 'is he a centre or a winger'.

But it doesn't matter, he's a RHS and both players get closer to home in a change of scene move.

That being said, I really doubt the plus is "small". I think the plus necessary makes us bail pretty quickly.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Trade proposal -

Bennett, ferland to leafs

Kapanen, grundstrom, 2018 2nd

Kapanen goes right into our lineup. Jankowski replaces other roster player. We get two nice pieces for future. Key here is Bennett VS kapanen. Risky for sure

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Trade proposal -

Bennett, ferland to leafs

Kapanen, grundstrom, 2018 2nd

Kapanen goes right into our lineup. Jankowski replaces other roster player. We get two nice pieces for future. Key here is Bennett VS kapanen. Risky for sure

I'd rather hang onto Ferland. This group is a bit soft as is, and I think if Ferland is kept in that 3rd line role, he'll start showing that tenacity again.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I wouldn’t mind Bennett, Fox + Brouwer for Neal + Suzuki.

Makes a spot for Jankowski and Lazar, gives us time to evaluate Neal and decide if he’s worth the money it will cost to retain him next year. Plus gives us a great long term option in Suzuki.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I wouldn’t mind Bennett, Fox + Brouwer for Neal + Suzuki.

Makes a spot for Jankowski and Lazar, gives us time to evaluate Neal and decide if he’s worth the money it will cost to retain him next year. Plus gives us a great long term option in Suzuki.

I'm usually against trading Fox but I really like Suzuki. I'd probably do it.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'm usually against trading Fox but I really like Suzuki. I'd probably do it.
I find it sad that at this point I hesitate with trading Fox more than I do Bennett. I don't think Vegas would accept that unless they really like Bennett or Fox.

Plus Suzuki is really good. I think a lot of people here wanted him at 16 me included. Vegas has some great early returns on their first draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->