Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Jagrbombs all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Am I the only one that's extremely perplexed by the recent focus/insistence on RHS in the forward group? I totally get the justification that Gulu uses for the D pairs, but the forwards should be a bit more interchangeable, if anything playing off-wing gives the shooter a way better angle on the net (if away from a defender...)

In that vein, we should absolutely keep one of our best wing prospects instead of trading him. If he can't play RW for whatever reason, we have seen proof that johnny excels there, so bump him over. I would love to see a Mangiapane-Janko-Jagr line or something similar. Or:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Jagr
Mangiapane-Lazar-Hathaway

IMO Mangi looks like he could be just as good or better than Versteeg. We won't know until he's here for sure, but he looks great this year.

If that's the case then we need a RHS LWer aka Alex Nylander, Perron, Forsberg, etc. type.

Reactions: Flameshomer

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Not surprising. The bottom six is contributing nothing while the 3M line seems to be producing slightly below normal. Lucky for the Flames that Gaudreau's on pace for a career year otherwise things would be dire.

This is why the Flames kind of really needed Bennett to pan out; Versteeg's cold, cold and occasionally warm, Jagr's old while Jankowski's going to take a while to acclimate offensively. Gulutzan seems to be in love with fringe fourth liners that contribute nothing offensively so not much hope there.

This is also why the obsession with stacking the top line is really, really dumb. The top line's not the problem; it's the bottom six and it's lack of offense that's going to cost the Flames the the division and almost certainly a deep playoff run. Unfortunately Treliving already spent a ton of assets on improving the defense, so any solutions will almost certainly have to come from within.

There are quite a few fixes I would be looking to implement:

1)4LW is a hole on this team that people have been a bit lazy in identifying. We've been pidgeon-holing RWers (Freddie, Versteeg) and plugs (Glass) in there when we have the AHL's leading scorer who happens to be a solid two-way player and penalty killer just waiting to be called up. Mangiapane can fix that, and if he gets cold you lose nothing sending him back down as he is still on his ELC and waiver exempt. Reward his play as this will inspire other players like Poirier and Foo with belief.

2) Move Bennett back to center and split up Johnny/Mony, who should both be capable of generating offense without each other. It's time people realized that no, playing center was not what was causing him to slump - he was just slumping and Gaudreau is easily our best option to break that slump. I would be looking at a 5v5 lineup of:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Monahan(/Jankowski)-Jankowski(/Monahan)-Jagr
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Mangiapane-Stajan/Lazar-Brouwer(/Versteeg)

3) Get a left hand shot on the right circle of PP1 for one-timers from Brodie(or Hamilton). Bennett and Jankowski have both shown proficient in this role in the past, and this will also give them confidence going forward. Giordano is also a very good default option.

4) Get a right hand shot on the left circle of PP2 for one-timers from the left circle. Stone is the obvious choice. I would be thinking

PP1)
Hamilton (Point)
Gaudreau (Half Wall) - Monahan (Bumper) - Jankowski (Right Circle One-Timers)
Tkachuk (Net Front)

PP2
Versteeg/Stone (Left Circle One-Timers/Left Point) - Brodie/Giordano (Right to center point)
Backlund/Bennett (Bumper) - Backlund/Bennett (Right-Side Half-Wall)
Ferland/Bennett/Jagr (Net Front)

5) Split up Stajan and Brouwer on the PK. Not really "offense" related but moreso a common sense thing. They are toxic to each other and cause each other to second guess themselves with their lack of foot speed, terrible puck recovery, and terrible defensive recovery. Alone, either might be a good PKer but together, both become awful. I think it would actually produce a few short handed goals though to have more pressure on the PK. I'm also of the optinion that Bennett should be given a chance with Backlund, especially with his seeming improvement on faceoffs:

Bennett - Backlund
Jankowski - Brouwer
Stajan/Lazar - Frolik
Mangiapane/Familton - Monahan

This should be our 6 to 8 man rotation on the PK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calculon

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Don't like the idea of splitting up Gaudreau/Monahan when they've been the only consistent forwards. Bennett has looked much better and more comfortable on the wing. I'd keep him there.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Just realized the Flames are 3rd last in goals for. Nashville has 1 less goal, but one less game. Oilers have 6 less goals, but two less games.
OyjluUj.gif

;)

While I'm tempted to excuse the issue as above, it's still a cause for concern. There's been what - one goal from the bottom six forwards? (Versteeg) That's simply not acceptable.

Perhaps the Halloween party will loosen the guys up a bit.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
OyjluUj.gif

;)

While I'm tempted to excuse the issue as above, it's still a cause for concern. There's been what - one goal from the bottom six forwards? (Versteeg) That's simply not acceptable.

Perhaps the Halloween party will loosen the guys up a bit.

Sick reference. #StannisTheMannis

But yes, the bottom 6 needs to wake the f*** up.

Reactions: Volica

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Remember when I recommended we get Josh Anderson, and many were afraid of him being Bouma #2? Well before tonight's game he was on pace for 24 goals and 24 assists and that's with a very sustainable and even worse shooting percentage than what he had in 2016-2017. Tonight he has 5 goals and 3 assists in 11 games, and maybe even more.

Reactions: WeegarUnderwood

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Even the 2012 Kings scored more goals per game than us thus far... Well here's hoping Smith plays like the Smith of 2011-2012.

This team isn’t clicking yet. Give them 50 games to pass a true judgement. I think we will end up similar to the team that entered the playoff last year. +Smith/Hamonic and hopefully a few young guys start stepping up

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Would anyone else entertain Kylington for Ho Sang? The kid has undeniable talent. I think we have the right group of vets to step up, and punch him in the face, when he needs it. Honestly, he seems like the only kid, that could potentially be available, that would offer the kind of combination of skill and spark this team needs right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Would anyone else entertain Kylington for Ho Sang? The kid has undeniable talent. I think we have the right group of vets to step up, and punch him in the face, when he needs it. Honestly, he seems like the only kid, that could potentially be available, that would offer the kind of combination of skill and spark this team needs right now.
Yeah but I don’t think that gets it done

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Re-signing Turris would essentially mean bye bye Backlund.
Between Stajan finally coming off the books, replacing Versteeg with a rookie or lesser contract, and potentially finding a taker for Brouwer I think we could make it work but it would be hard. I would still do it

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Between Stajan finally coming off the books, replacing Versteeg with a rookie or lesser contract, and potentially finding a taker for Brouwer I think we could make it work but it would be hard. I would still do it

Finding a taker for Brouwer is pretty unrealistic at this point. I like Turris, I just don't think the Flames need him. I'd rather spend that cap on a legitimate top 6 RW, and keep Jankowski/Lazar as the 3/4 C

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

No thanks.

Ho Sang isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is and isn't worth the headaches he brings with so little talent.

Reactions: Lazar Beams

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'd love to get this deal:

:flames
Troy Brouwer (4.5M x 3Y)
Travis Hamonic (3.85M x 3Y)

:flyers
Andrew MacDonald (5.0M x 3Y)
Radko Gudas (3.35M x 3Y)

done.

Seems lateral at first but
1) It throws a ripple towards our underperforming 4th line
2) It improves team depth. McDonald > Bartkowski
3) I believe it improves both teams' middle pairs relative to their needs.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
As much as I want Brouwer gone I can't see why you give up a great defensman like Hamonic just to get rid of him?

That deal makes our team much worse with no financial gain and now we need to look for a top 4 defenseman, at least 1 bottom pairing defenseman and a top 6 winger.

It is a deal that makes zero sense.

Gudas and Macdonald are bad NHL defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad