Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Jagrbombs all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Anderson passes the eye test. He was a rookie last year and he really looks like a guy who has the potential for a breakout year.

That said, the fact that he's holding out is a negative.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
What would we even trade? Got no picks, none of the expendable players on the team are worth anything, and we really shouldn't move any of our good prospects (god knows they're few and far between for this organization)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What would we even trade? Got no picks, none of the expendable players on the team are worth anything, and we really shouldn't move any of our good prospects (god knows they're few and far between for this organization)
I don't get why you wouldn't move Dube+ for someone that actually proved something and helps with win now. Also fits a need.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't get why you wouldn't move Dube+ for someone that actually proved something and helps with win now. Also fits a need.
I usually hate the line of reasoning which places propsects above NHL players but Dube looks like the only offensive propsect worth a damn in this organization (we'll be lucky if Foo, Mangi, Poirier, Klimchuk ever become better than third liners). He could conceivably make the team as soon as next year and maybe make our top 6 somewhere down the line

Would rather roll the dice on him than Anderson

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Columbus is clearly jonesing for the sweet leadership of Troy Brouwer.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames are going to be tight against the cap pretty soon so trading any cheap ELC's that look like they could be contributors sooner than later is a really bad idea. Especially for players that want to be paid now. It's just bad cap management right from the Darryl Sutter playbook of how to mismanage a team.

Unfortunately, there's little else in the system unless the Blue Jackets want one of the Flames recent unsigned picks.

I'd move Lazar plus any of the essentially valueless prospects (i.e. Shinkaruk, Wotherspoon, Smith, McDonald) for Anderson but that's as far as I'd go. Would Columbus be interested in that? Probably not.

On the other hand, his agent seems like a pain to deal with so maybe it's better just to avoid the whole thing.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I don't get why you want to move a local kid who just had an excellent training camp and looks like he has just as high if not higher potential than Anderson, will be locked in on an ELC versus a guy holding out for more money?

Reactions: Method Man

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Dube for Anderson straight up wouldn't be bad, but that doesn't clear roster space for him. I think he's an unnecessary piece and a downgrade on Ferland.

Also, typing on the phone on new HFBoards is agonising holy shit

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Anderson seems like a Bouma-type situation... I wouldn't be paying anything until I could see the same production this season, even if it costs more. He may be a fit but I'm skeptical on that production.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Anderson seems like a Bouma-type situation... I wouldn't be paying anything until I could see the same production this season, even if it costs more. He may be a fit but I'm skeptical on that production.

Anderson has done more than Bouma in their entire careers prior to NHL, and didn't rely on Backlund. I do agree we need to see if he can keep it up.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I am not sure why Colombus would want to move Anderson for Dube. They seem to be in more of a win now mode than rebuilding so why go for a mabye (even a good looking maybe) that doesn't help them now for a guy that is clearly a top 9 or higher for them?

I would love Anderson but I just don't see how we fit him in with all the assets we have given up for Hamonic and Smith.

Not to stir up a hornets nest but it sure would have been nice to have Ceci (instead of someone who shall not be named) and use the Hamonic assets on Duchene or to a lesser extent Anderson.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I would wonder if there isn't a fit with Colorado. I know there has been talk of a deal around Ryan Murray for Duchene but most agree that isn't enough for Ducehne so does Anderson and Murray for Duchene work?

I am usually terrible at fake trades so could be way off here.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I feel nasty agreeing with Sushi here but I think we should be going for Josh Anderson. He helps balance the lines a lot, even if he only brings slightly more than Ferland. I also think that the people comparing him to Bouma really didn't watch him last year. Bouma was very unimpressive when he got the 16 goals- I remember being shocked that he piled up that many. Anderson actually looked competent.

Dube is good bait. Anderson is not much older and is proven already in the league. Dube looked great in the preseason, but frankly we don't really need another medium to undersized forward... Also mobi, take the prospect blinders off. The reason our forward crop doesn't seem that strong is because we have Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, and now Janko who have all graduated. All are still young and none look like they're in danger of leaving. I firmly disagree that we will be in a bind if we lose someone like Dube.

To the above, Lindbohm is interesting- could be better than Bartowski!

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not enough goal scoring. Didn't really see the point in bringing in these PTOs, none of them had anything the roster was lacking. The Flames could really use another 20G scorer, unless they feel 2 of Versteeg, Tkachuk, and Ferland can get there. Jagr or Iginla on a cheapish 1 year deal would be my choice.

As for the 6D spot, rather than Bartkowski I'd move a couple lesser prospects to Vegas for one of their depth D like Miller or McNabb.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I feel nasty agreeing with Sushi here but I think we should be going for Josh Anderson. He helps balance the lines a lot, even if he only brings slightly more than Ferland. I also think that the people comparing him to Bouma really didn't watch him last year. Bouma was very unimpressive when he got the 16 goals- I remember being shocked that he piled up that many. Anderson actually looked competent.

Dube is good bait. Anderson is not much older and is proven already in the league. Dube looked great in the preseason, but frankly we don't really need another medium to undersized forward... Also mobi, take the prospect blinders off. The reason our forward crop doesn't seem that strong is because we have Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, and now Janko who have all graduated. All are still young and none look like they're in danger of leaving. I firmly disagree that we will be in a bind if we lose someone like Dube.

To the above, Lindbohm is interesting- could be better than Bartowski!

Bouma also seemed to trend downwards every season, whereas Anderson has only trended upwards every season when he started playing kiddy hockey, and still did far better in the CHL than Bouma did (And he progressed every season, whereas Bouma declined every season).

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
It might just be me, but I would not at all be confident in trading for a guy who just shot 14.3%, had an oiSH% of 9.5 and a PDO of 103.2 to go along with very worrying possession numbers

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It might just be me, but I would not at all be confident in trading for a guy who just shot 14.3%, had an oiSH% of 9.5 and a PDO of 103.2 to go along with very worrying possession numbers
14.3% is perfectly normal, and PDO there is, if anything, a positive factor, as it would indicate that he creates better quality chances than he gives up.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Would much rather sign Jagr then spend our depleted assets on anything unless it's proven and cost efficient. I.E wouldn't say no to Duchene if the cost wasn't what it'll probably end up being.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Kylington + Klimchuk/Mangiapane for Anderson

I'd lose my mind if the Flames made this offer.

Josh Anderson is not that good people. He is literally Lance Bouma 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad