Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Letters are noting but ceremonial. All they do is allow you to speak to officials about calls. The Flames certainly need to address leadership, because they are mentally fragile but which players wear the letters doesn't mean f*** all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I watched the LV broadcacst last game, and they said Flames are top3 (or top5, can't remember) in how many times they've given up multiple goals within 2 minute period. Familiar problem for anyone who's watched any games this season, but I have no idea what's causing it and how to fix it.
I don't remember for sure how many times in 2 minutes (I think it was 20), but it was 28 times in 3 minutes for sure

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Out of all the guys to point fingers at for not playing well enough this season, Monahan doesn't even make the top ten.

Monahan exceeded expectations in every facet of his game this year. Start with virtually any other player

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Monahan exceeded expectations in every facet of his game this year. Start with virtually any other player

I mean you can nitpick his production at times. He's got 5 points in 8 games in March while we are playing key games. I get that but it's too abstract. If you go from the start of February to tonight he has 20 points in 23 games. But if he produced more it would help sure, but if he produced more he'd be more in the conversation for the Eichel tier of centers in the NHL.

He's matched his career high in 9 less games, and improved defensively this year. Yet some people will always want more.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I mean you can nitpick his production at times. He's got 5 points in 8 games in March while we are playing key games. I get that but it's too abstract. If you go from the start of February to tonight he has 20 points in 23 games. But if he produced more it would help sure, but if he produced more he'd be more in the conversation for the Eichel tier of centers in the NHL.

He's matched his career high in 9 less games, and improved defensively this year. Yet some people will always want more.

Has also been injured all March. Nobody appreciates the guy.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'll never understand this obsession with having an elite 1C on this team. It would certainly be awesome, but we don't need it to win a cup. The Monahan/Gaudreau pairing is an elite offensive unit, 3M is a very solid shut down line with some offense. These players are not our problem, our problem is depth scoring from the bottom six. Whether we rectify that by upgrading our bottom six or pushing someone down with a top 6 upgrade, it doesn't change the fact that scoring depth is our biggest problem. If we keep Bennett and Janko, they need to show more next year. Add in a forward upgrade or two without taking away from our core guys and we'll have a very solid playoff looking roster. Then find a real NHL coach so that paper roster translates into tangible results.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

No to mention speculation that he needs surgery

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'll never understand this obsession with having an elite 1C on this team. It would certainly be awesome, but we don't need it to win a cup. The Monahan/Gaudreau pairing is an elite offensive unit, 3M is a very solid shut down line with some offense. These players are not our problem, our problem is depth scoring from the bottom six. Whether we rectify that by upgrading our bottom six or pushing someone down with a top 6 upgrade, it doesn't change the fact that scoring depth is our biggest problem. If we keep Bennett and Janko, they need to show more next year. Add in a forward upgrade or two without taking away from our core guys and we'll have a very solid playoff looking roster. Then find a real NHL coach so that paper roster translates into tangible results.
The last team to win a cup without a center better than Monahan was? It's probably doable but having a guy that can actually takeover a game has kind of been a prerequisite for the past 15 years.

Everything is a problem right now the bottom six is trash, the 2nd line only has two second line players (Tkachuk is probably a first line guy actually) our first line has a bottom six player on it and only has one elite player .

To add to this despite getting fantastic goaltending and spending a first and 2 seconds to upgrade our D this season we're allowing more goals against ( 5v5 both in rate and league ranking) then we did last year with below average goaltending.

Also is there any comparable for Bennett of a player that took 3+ seasons before producing over 0.5 points per game actuly turning into something useful. I'm genuinely interested because as much as him turning out would be great it seems super unlikely. Karlsson kind of fits but he's shooting 20% and had only played 2 seasons and some change prior to breaking out.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Has also been injured all March. Nobody appreciates the guy.

That’s because the general fan prefers flash and not results. I remember Monahan lost a poll to Drouin in the fall. Drouin.

And to the people who question his clutch factor... he leads the league in GWG. :dunno:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
That’s because the general fan prefers flash and not results. I remember Monahan lost a poll to Drouin in the fall. Drouin.

And to the people who question his clutch factor... he leads the league in GWG. :dunno:
Those are all fluke 3rd line winger goals..

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Fact: Sean Monahan has never scored a real goal in the NHL. Checkmate, Flames fans

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Let's be honest, any success we've had this year starts and ends with Smith. As I keep saying, it's not our roster though, it's our coach. I know that is always an easy scapegoat for fans, but I don't even have enough fingers to count the number of times GG has lost us a game due to horrible deployment decisions.

This is so true. Had we had average NHL goaltending this season, we would be right next the Oilers in the standings.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The last team to win a cup without a center better than Monahan was? It's probably doable but having a guy that can actually takeover a game has kind of been a prerequisite for the past 15 years.

Everything is a problem right now the bottom six is trash, the 2nd line only has two second line players (Tkachuk is probably a first line guy actually) our first line has a bottom six player on it and only has one elite player .

To add to this despite getting fantastic goaltending and spending a first and 2 seconds to upgrade our D this season we're allowing more goals against ( 5v5 both in rate and league ranking) then we did last year with below average goaltending.

Also is there any comparable for Bennett of a player that took 3+ seasons before producing over 0.5 points per game actuly turning into something useful. I'm genuinely interested because as much as him turning out would be great it seems super unlikely. Karlsson kind of fits but he's shooting 20% and had only played 2 seasons and some change prior to breaking out.

You act as though those teams rode an Elite 1C to the finals. Guess what they had, great depth in all positions, and clutch scoring from all 4 lines. We may not have an elite 1C, but he's pretty damn close. If you think near PPG Monahan with 33 goals is our problem, I'm truly lost for words. No, he's not a physically dominating player like Kopitar, probably because he's to busy sniping goals at will. You don't paint those players as the problem, you add to them. A guy like E. Kane would've been perfect on that line.

I don't see any of the 3M line being a problem. So basically we have the same problem that we've all blabbed about since before the first regulation game of the season. A top 6 RW, and to a lesser extent, additional scoring depth.

Beyond that, you can likely attribute a lot of our problems to GG and the coaching staff. An anemic and predictable system is not getting this team anywhere. We have very talented and mobile defensemen, and based on our top prospects, it's only going to get better. We should be utilizing that strength, but we simply do not. I'm so sick of watching our dmen pass back and fourth 2-3 times before even moving their feet. The style of play is far to conservative and neuters the biggest asset this team has, a mobile dcore.

again...

1) Coaching overhaul
2) Sign E. Kane or Neal, or trade for Hoffman maybe.
3) trade Stone for picks
4) buyout Brouwer and do not resign Stajan.
5) upgrade the bottoms six via FA or from within.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Had we traded for Kane, we would all be doing this right now.

raining_money_kane.gif

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
You act as though those teams rode an Elite 1C to the finals. Guess what they had, great depth in all positions, and clutch scoring from all 4 lines. We may not have an elite 1C, but he's pretty damn close. If you think near PPG Monahan with 33 goals is our problem, I'm truly lost for words. No, he's not a physically dominating player like Kopitar, probably because he's to busy sniping goals at will. You don't paint those players as the problem, you add to them. A guy like E. Kane would've been perfect on that line.

I don't see any of the 3M line being a problem. So basically we have the same problem that we've all blabbed about since before the first regulation game of the season. A top 6 RW, and to a lesser extent, additional scoring depth.

Beyond that, you can likely attribute a lot of our problems to GG and the coaching staff. An anemic and predictable system is not getting this team anywhere. We have very talented and mobile defensemen, and based on our top prospects, it's only going to get better. We should be utilizing that strength, but we simply do not. I'm so sick of watching our dmen pass back and fourth 2-3 times before even moving their feet. The style of play is far to conservative and neuters the biggest asset this team has, a mobile dcore.

again...

1) Coaching overhaul
2) Sign E. Kane or Neal, or trade for Hoffman maybe.
3) trade Stone for picks
4) buyout Brouwer and do not resign Stajan.
5) upgrade the bottoms six via FA or from within.
Obviously you need depth and I realize we have none I've been botching about it since Jankowski and Bennett stopped producing early this year.

No Monahan is no where near an elite 1C there is maybe 10-15 in the league and he's not part of that group.

I really don't think most of the problems are GG. He's not a good coach but I don't think coaching will make a big enough difference that improving it will make the current roster anymore than a slightly better bubble team.

I agree with you on the to do list but I'm just damn disappointed and unlike past years there really isn't much to look forward to this off-season and at the same time we have some massive holes and almost no assets it's awful.

Last edited:

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
The last thing that needs to be blamed is Monahan. Bennett and Jankowski have been mia this whole season. Those two, especially Bennett was supposed to take the next step. Monahan improved alot this year and did work. Bennett regressed and Jankowski was just meh. Having only virtually 2 lines consistently won't get you anywhere. Today's NHL you need the depth, the forwards on the third and forth lines that can produce consistently every third game.

Edit: Also we need more speedy players. I'm tired of all these slow players skating 5 mph. Speed is key.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016

He lost a poll to Wennberg and Horvat too. I believe. I'm pretty sure he's one of the most underrated players on HF. If not he's well on his way there.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly if we’re gonna go there and blame Monahan, put Backlund on the list beside him. Yeah he’s been his steady self and been solid, but I think more was expected out of him this season especially to produce more. Personally I’m not pointing fingers at anyone really except mostly the coaches, the season as a whole has been very disappointing.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
No reason to blame the top six at all. The top line produced well, and the second line provided excellent checking in spite of having difficulty producing. Except maybe Frolik; he has actually been less good than normal this season.

The biggest issues from a roster perspective are a bad bottom six: Bennett is flakier than a delicious pie, Jankowski is a rookie with limited offensive upside, and everyone else in the bottom six is seemingly allergic to producing goals (and in most cases playing decent defence). Additionally, PLAY BRODIE ON THE RIGHT GOD DAMNED SIDE OF THE ICE.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Brayden Schenn, Ryan Johansen.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I wonder if we could get a 2nd or 3rd from Dallas to take on Spezza’s contract? We’ll have the cap space next year and he’s still got 40-50 points left in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad