Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I actually doubt that the coaching staff will be fired even though I'm mostly for it.

Same. Even if they miss and miss pretty badly.

Only way I see that changing is if Trotz or Quenneville are made available and even then I see GG and co given another season. I do really hope they get rid of Cameron though, the PP has cost this team an absurd amount of games.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
We don’t have enough quantity of quality, only at RD, and we gotta make sure to sign fox. Adding the forwards makes Calgary a team with a bottom 6 that won’t disappear half as much. The coach could actually move guys around too.

Domi - Monahan - Dube
JG - Bennett - Ferland
Tkachuk - backlund - Fischer
Frolik - Shore - lazar

Andersson is an NHLer next year and sign a decent 4/5 dman. Losing Hamilton is worth that offence. I also forgot about Jankowski.

I think that Gaudreau line asks a lot of him to carry the whole offense on his own and you likely end up with a big drop off in terms of production. It still has Tkachuk in a defensive role neutering his effectiveness and I don't think Fischer works there at all being expected to be a top defensive guy. I also am not a fan of Dube going right to the top line or even a top line with zero pro experience at all, that seems like too much of a jump.

Even re-working the lines doesn't seem worth it to cripple our defense and have us totally reliant on Brodie getting back to his peak play for them to be close to effective.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we rolled into next year with just a few minor changes.

Stone for Leivo + 3rd

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Leivo
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Frolik
Ferland-Shore-Lazar

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Andersson
Kulak(unless Valimaki steals it)-Hamonic

Yes, I’d play Mang over Ferland, I think he’s more creative and will be the better player. I also wouldn’t be opposed to packaging Ferland, Mangiapane and defensive prospect for Patches(replacing Mangiapane, Dube replacing Ferland). Love Ferly, I just don’t wanna be the team that pays him.

I’d also rather not move big assets or pay a FA RW until the goaltending situation is set. Smith has another run in him, maybe 2 but I’d be very hesitant in giving him another contract.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Leivo
Pacioretty-Jankowski-Frolik
Dube-Shore-Lazar

Last edited:
Reactions: snipetype and Dack

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So it should be clear now that the Flames hugely missed on Kane.

No he’s not going score a hat trick every night, but watching him last night it’s clear what he adds. The guy took the game over and was flat out dominant. He was skating all over the ice, laying his big frame on our players, he was a menace, creating havoc around the crease and he has such a nice shot. He even beat Monahan on a draw.

I really hope the Flames are smart enough to hopefully right this wrong this off-season and sign this guy long term. I don’t think his character issues are a concern, he looks like he’s fitting in just fine in SJ and he’s going to be a huge reason they secure a playoff spot.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

No he’s not going score a hat trick every night, but watching him last night it’s clear what he adds. The guy took the game over and was flat out dominant. He was skating all over the ice, laying his big frame on our players, he was a menace, creating havoc around the crease and he has such a nice shot. He even beat Monahan on a draw.

I really hope the Flames are smart enough to hopefully right this wrong this off-season and sign this guy long term. I don’t think his character issues are a concern, he looks like he’s fitting in just fine in SJ and he’s going to be a huge reason they secure a playoff spot.
I’d much rather add a center than Kane. Backlund would be very luck to have 40 points this year, without Tkachuk and that simply isn’t good enough, regardless of how he is defensively. Not bashing Backlund, I think there’s a similar situation on the top line too, just stating facts

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
643573DF-22C6-4225-9538-5A82D7AF8321.jpeg
Also for those that think he would be a bad teammate, him and Burns look like buds.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I’d much rather add a center than Kane. Backlund would be very luck to have 40 points this year, without Tkachuk and that simply isn’t good enough, regardless of how he is defensively. Not bashing Backlund, I think there’s a similar situation on the top line too, just stating facts

Backlund has scored at 40+ point pace for the last 6 seasons in a row, even when saddled with the worst linemates imaginable like Bouma and David Jones. To call it luck is completely ridiculous, especially when you watch what he can create offensively.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d be okay with a Dougie for Marner trade.

The more I think about it, the more I realize we need that guy who can create offense. I have belief in our D prospects.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Backlund has scored at 40+ point pace for the last 6 seasons in a row, even when saddled with the worst linemates imaginable like Bouma and David Jones. To call it luck is completely ridiculous, especially when you watch what he can create offensively.
I never said anything about prior years. I said Backlund, along with a long list of other Flames, simply wasn’t good enough this year. While he may have created, with lesser players in past years, about 2/3rds of the offence created by that line has been a direct product of Tkachuk, and I think that’s pretty undeniable. So unless you think sub 40 point seasons are acceptable production from a 2C, I think center was very much part of the problem this year, that most people overlook.

I see Monahan, removed from Gaudreau, as a lower end 1C, in a similar range as Turris or Duchene. Backlund, to me, is an elite two way 3C, who struggles to produce at a 2C level offensively. Jankowski has a lot of work to do. He turns like a dump truck. There’s an incredible amount of improvement to make on lateral movement and foot speed, in order to take the next step.
Long story short, we’re basically on the low end of center quality at every level....weak down the middle. I think we’d get more bang for our buck if we target a Henrique or even Brassard to push Jankowski into a 4C role and balance our shortcomings down the middle, opposed to targeting a RW.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I’d be okay with a Dougie for Marner trade.

The more I think about it, the more I realize we need that guy who can create offense. I have belief in our D prospects.

If Calgary could land Marner, I'd go with these for the lines;

Tkachuk - Monahan - Marner
Gaudreau - Bennett - Ferland
Shore - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Jankowski - Brouwer

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I assume at this point it is bit of a character you are playing with the support of Kane because it makes no sense at all.

He wasn't close to dominant at all last night and didn't take anything over.

Also can't see how missing out on a LHS, LW that is worse than the two guys we already have in the top 6 and not an upgrade over our 3rd line LW is missing out.

If we add Kane in the offseason it likely indicates another lost season and probably worth fans boycotting the team based on what he brings off the ice and what he doesn't bring on it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I assume at this point it is bit of a character you are playing with the support of Kane because it makes no sense at all.

He wasn't close to dominant at all last night and didn't take anything over.

Also can't see how missing out on a LHS, LW that is worse than the two guys we already have in the top 6 and not an upgrade over our 3rd line LW is missing out.

If we add Kane in the offseason it likely indicates another lost season and probably worth fans boycotting the team based on what he brings off the ice and what he doesn't bring on it.

Playing a character? I don’t get it.

You would be the only one who thinks Kane wasn’t dominant last night, he got performer of the night and player of the game. And yes he really did play a strong game, he was the most dominant player on either team it really wasn’t close.

I don’t get what’s wrong with a fan (me) wanting a player who’s literally the perfect fit for this team. We need a trigger man who can score goals and make us a hard team to play against.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Playing a character? I don’t get it.

You would be the only one who thinks Kane wasn’t dominant last night, he got performer of the night and player of the game. And yes he really did play a strong game, he was the most dominant player on either team it really wasn’t close.

I don’t get what’s wrong with a fan (me) wanting a player who’s literally the perfect fit for this team. We need a trigger man who can score goals and make us a hard team to play against.

But he isn't the perfect fit for this team at all and it has been pointed out many times.

Right off the bat he is a LHS, that isn't perfect. He is also a LW that is far from perfect.

He is a streaky scorer on a team that needs a solid top 6 player to help provide secondary scoring. Unless his long cold streaks line-up perfectly with the top line he just makes us as reliant on the top line as we are now.

The Flames are a team that values character off the ice and he is a guy that values sexually assautling women. We have a lot of money tied up in players now he is money grubbing loser that will demand top dollar and a long term deal. He is a god awful teammate and sorry sack of a human being.

He isn't close to a good or even ok fit on this team, let alone a perfect fit. Adding him to this team for free makes us a worse team, paying him money or giving up assets for him should be a fireable offense.

He got performer of the night because Smith let in 3 terrible goals that should have never gone in and Pavelski set him up for a tap in that I could have scored.In terms of quality of play he had very little impact on the game. The player of the game was Smith for the Sharks. He was the sole reason they won, the sole reason they were able to get to 7 goals. Take away Smith and replace him with a competent goalie and nobody is talking about Kane because he didn't look impressive.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If you could post the link of where Kane sexually assaulted women and was convicted of it, that would be great.

I also have not heard or seen of anything of Kane since his time in Buffalo to suggest that he would be a bad teammate, in fact I’ve seen the opposite. Maybe it’s due to some personal changes I’ve made in life, but I’d love to see the guy get a chance here and thrive.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
If you could post the link of where Kane sexually assaulted women and was convicted of it, that would be great.
Because, as we all know, sexual crimes are incredibly easy to find evidence for and thus the conviction rate for offenders is excellent.

I'm not saying Kane specifically is guilty of sexual assault, but to say "no conviction therefore he's innocent" is a bit silly when it comes to sex crimes.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Because, as we all know, sexual crimes are incredibly easy to find evidence for and thus the conviction rate for offenders is excellent.

I'm not saying Kane specifically is guilty of sexual assault, but to say "no conviction therefore he's innocent" is a bit silly when it comes to sex crimes.

Except for the purposes of conversation on here, we cannot argue or infer that Kane is guilty of anything. And the suggestion of otherwise on the basis of opinion is against site rules. As such any conversation that’s implying he’s guilty is essentially over before it starts. This isn’t a political site so I also can’t get into sexual assault crimes in gerneral and their conviction rate.

All I will say is that there have been atheletes falsely accused of crimes in general in the past (see Patrick Kane), so it’s entirely possible that Evander was as well. What I choose to focus on is his performance on the ice and comments that his teammates have about him in recent times when it comes to character. He was very well liked in Buffalo and it appears as though his teammates in SJ are getting along just fine with him.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Except for the purposes of conversation on here, we cannot argue or infer that Kane is guilty of anything. And the suggestion of otherwise on the basis of opinion is against site rules. As such any conversation that’s implying he’s guilty is essentially over before it starts. This isn’t a political site so I also can’t get into sexual assault crimes in gerneral and their conviction rate.

All I will say is that there have been atheletes falsely accused of crimes in general in the past (see Patrick Kane), so it’s entirely possible that Evander was as well. What I choose to focus on is his performance on the ice and comments that his teammates have about him in recent times when it comes to character. He was very well liked in Buffalo and it appears as though his teammates in SJ are getting along just fine with him.

What if it is based on fact? And how is that even a rule based on opinion that is a pretty terrible rule.

As for the well liked in Buffalo, if that is true and I doubt, it would speak more poorly about the players they have there than say anything good about Kane as a teammate.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
We have 2 potential top 4 rhd on the way... this is a perfect trade.

You don’t trade away a legit, cornerstone #1 RHD because you have potential replacements. You consider trading him when you have his heir apparent challenging him for that spot. Even then it’s a tough call.

Of the entire roster, the players closest to being untouchable are Gaudreau, Hamilton, Monahan and Tkachuk (in that order)

Reactions: Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What if it is based on fact? And how is that even a rule based on opinion that is a pretty terrible rule.

As for the well liked in Buffalo, if that is true and I doubt, it would speak more poorly about the players they have there than say anything good about Kane as a teammate.

Every single thing you post about Kane is your opinion and based on speculation.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would disagree based on what has been reported in the newspapers.

Yet again, Kane has never been charged with any kind of sexual assault. Feel to post otherwise. You cant, which brings us back to it being speculative on your part.

You don’t like Kane as a person, that's fine. Lots don’t. As a fan I would love to have him on the team because of what he does on the ice.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I never said anything about prior years. I said Backlund, along with a long list of other Flames, simply wasn’t good enough this year. While he may have created, with lesser players in past years, about 2/3rds of the offence created by that line has been a direct product of Tkachuk, and I think that’s pretty undeniable.
What? In what way is your entirely subjective and unsupported posit regarding who is more responsible for offence creation "undeniable?"

Even if I didn't watch Flames hockey, I'd look at all the facts and have a lot of doubt with regards to this statement because of the fact that it would be out of character for the player. Even if I didn't watch Flames hockey I'd tell you that when Tkachuk got to play on Backlund's line, he would be privileged to have that opportunity, and that it would help a player like that look really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->