Are we ready to admit that Reinhart is a bust?

Bust?

• Total voters

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
@OkimLom I'd say Calgary sees Bennet as not at the level where they thought he would be at this point in time, but they have work with what they have.

In my eyes Sam is playing below expectations from where he was projected to be as a two-way, high-end first line center. Simple as that. He's only 22 though, and a lot can change in a couple of years. I think he'll be a great player moving forward, but I don't know if he'll ever reach his projected ceiling at the time he was drafted.

If Sam was playing 2nd line center and put up 40-50 points this year while bringing an effective 2-way game, I'd have no reason to complain about him. But he just hasn't shown he has the ability to be that player that we thought he would be.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think he was calling out the clear context in which you called Reinhart a “bust” then retroactively watering it down based specifically on draft placement. Doesnt change what you had historically meant.

It’s kinda like saying lobster is the most delicious food ever, then later on saying “I only meant the most delicious seafood ever.”

Point is, it’s not what you said :)

See page 32 and 33 of Reinhart thread.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
There is almost no way you can classify Samson as a bust. He's a positive corsi player for his career, playing on one of the worst corsi differential teams in history. He scores 43 to 48 (and, if he hits 50 this year, 50 points) per year in his first three years.

Even if there are 8 or 9 guys who have better careers in the end, he's still likely the 9th or 10th best player from the entire draft class. That's not a "bust." That's a productive player.

I mean, if you're out here arguing that he sucks because he should have been drafted 4th (or 8th 0r 10th or whatever) instead of 2nd, that is...completely irrelevant at this point. If you're asking about a "bust," the question is, "How many guys are better than him?" For Samson, the answer is "not many." He's not Seguin but he's also not Yakupov. He's probably comparable to RNH, although he's a completely different player.

I worry about his skating long-term - I mean, look at ROR. He's effective, but skating is an issue. Can a 28-year old Sam Reinhart find a way to be effective? But there are reasons to be optimistic. Reinhart has done one thing very few players in his position have done, which is learned how to go to the top of the crease and score dirty goals in the NHL. Jason Pominville, god love him, doesn't do that shit. Not many guys want to do it. Sam decided that's how he could score goals in the NHL, and he's doing it. He's got phenomenal hand-eye, better than most. Unlike speed (which goes away, even from guys who are fast), that doesn't go away. He could do that at 40. So...he's an extremely interesting and somewhat unique player. Speaking of which, Carolina...ahem....

Carolina, hello.

Reactions: EichHart

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
There was a consensus top 3 forwards in the 2014 NHL draft. They were Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl. Only one of those 2 are better then Reinhart is and he plays with the best player I've ever seen play hockey. Can't really blame management at all for this pick.

In relation to his being the #2 overall pick in the NHL draft and his production. When this team turns the corner and is actually good I see him being a 2 way 60 pt forward in which yes, he will live up to his draft position. Tampa and the Leafs have scored almost 100 more goals than we have this year. Imagine those pts distributed among our players.

2014 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Good thing is he is trending up. Bad thing is its another season he could get past the 50 pt barrier. Getting 50 pts from 2nd overall pick that plays wing and was supposed to be a center is not particularly great achievement. Im hoping he actually statts well next season as I dont care that much about point totals in meaningless games and most of Sam's are like this this year. If he actually starts well for once and the team overall plays well he could become a 60 pt guy with his excellent PP production.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The story of Samson...

So far Sam has had loong stretches of being Average to good what I would call "Meh" for being a #2 pick... as well as a long stretch of being bad and now long stretch of being lights out and totally worth his #2 selection.

Next year is going to be a defining year for his career... lets see what happens.

Hoping he carries his lights out playing next year on a consistent basis.

If he continues to play like he has his last 40 or so games I'll be more than happy to smother that crow with Cattlemans Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce and devour it.

Reactions: stokes84

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3