Are we ready to admit that Reinhart is a bust?

Bust?

• Total voters

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Full disclaimer: I've never been a Sam Reinhart fan. Two years ago I got into several debates on this forum by saying I didn't think he was going to be very good. However, I'm a big Sabres fan so even despite my doubts, I've always hoped for success. However, at this point, I'm just not seeing it. Here are some reasons I doubt he will ever be anything more than an average NHL player:

1. He has no "special" quality about him. Skating, speed, even his highly touted "Hockey IQ" and passing ability haven't been able to translate to the NHL game. Sure, he can make good passes from time to time, but he's not consistently dazzling us with his ability to fit a puck into a tight spot.

2. Go look up every single goal Sam Reinhart has scored in the NHL. Tell me how many of them are not a tip in, deflection, shooting into a wide open net or otherwise flukey goal. If it's more than 5 of his career goals I'll Venmo you $10. His shot is simply not NHL quality. You can argue that others have been able to have fine NHL careers without a good shot, but it's amazing to me that he's hardly had ANY goals in the NHL that come in from one of his actual shots.

3. He's been demoted from Center at least twice. This really says something. His "natural" position apparently isn't so natural to him, and he's been forced to the wing to help minimize his impact on the game.

4. He's had maturity/discipline problems. I highly doubt it was the full story when he got benched for a game for missing a practice. Typically when things like that happen, a player has a history of it, or has already had at least one warning. In addition to this, he's made up excuses for why he hasn't been able to be in the gym as much in the past.

5. Poor "hockey bloodline". Sure, his father was a good NHL player - but his two brothers have not amounted to much either. While some say this is nonsense, it's not terribly uncommon. Dylan Strome is currently following the disappointing path of his older brother, and Sam looks like he's on the same pace that Griffin was.

6. Lack of progression. This was the first red flag to me, even going back to his overage year in Juniors. He didn't improve his PPG pace then (a very worrisome sign for almost any NHL prospect and the crux of my argument a couple years ago). Since then, his NHL pace has improved just slightly. He didn't make a big leap at all from year 1 to year 2. Sure, he did score 5 more points, but he scored 6 less goals, and scored 7 more points on the Power Play from the year prior, which negates some of the "improvement" that is there to begin with. Aside from point totals, he hasn't offered anything additional when it comes to play in his own end, leadership, or shot creation.

7. Draft status. Face it, he was drafted 2nd overall and simply has not performed like a 2nd overall player. Apart from other obvious "busts" going into his 4th NHL season, he does not stack up favorably at all to his peers drafted in the same spot.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I was willing to indulge you in actual hockey dialogue until point #5...now I'll just laugh, say he's 21 with basically 2 50 point campaigns under his belt and you're outright wrong.

Could we have selected a better player? Yes...obviously. is he a bust or bad player no, your grasping very hard. He's a quality player.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I was willing to indulge you in actual hockey dialogue until point #5...now I'll just laugh, say he's 21 with basically 2 50 point campaigns under his belt and you're outright wrong.

Could we have selected a better player? Yes...obviously. is he a bust or bad player no, your grasping very hard. He's a quality player.
You have a lot more patience than me. I was done after #1.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I am starting to get worried about Reinhart being the true impact player we need him to be.

But it's not fair to call this Reinhart's 4th season. He got 9 games his first season then went back to juniors. He is going into his 3rd NHL season the way I see it. He's played 2 full NHL seasons and is starting his 3rd.

We definitely need more from him, though. I'd like to see him carrying the puck and driving the play much more often. He's not having the impact you expect from a 2nd overall pick.

Right now I'd take Draisaitl or Nylander over Sam in a heart beat.

I haven't given up on him though and am not ready to call him a bust.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Let's put a bow on this shit pile in the form of a poll. Lets get everyone on the record!!! two choices:

*bust
*not

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I try not to form an opinion of a player until 23 years old. Not sure why, but it's a rule I have. I consider Reinhart a #1 overall pick, he hasn't played like one yet.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I should make a thread "are we ready to admit Reinhart is better than Eichel" just for the fun of it ;)

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I should make a thread "are we ready to admit Reinhart is better than Eichel" just for the fun of it ;)
He's better at some things, but the Sabres have a grand total of 0 goals with Reinhart on the ice. Not many games won scoring 0.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
He's not a bust, he's a big disappointment. He will be a decent NHLer, just not an impact one that we need him to be and what you normally expect from a 2nd overall pick. I think it's quite clear by now that this is the unfortunate reality. I agree with some of your points. I am not voting in the poll as I don't agree with either option to be honest.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He's not a bust, he's a big disappointment. He will be a decent NHLer, just not an impact one that we need him to be and what you normally expect from a 2nd overall pick. I think it's quite clear by now that this is the unfortunate reality. I agree with some of your points. I am not voting in the poll as I don't agree with either option to be honest.
Would you say this about Eichel?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You would have done better with options like

a) hasn't yet lived up to expectations I have for a #2 pick, never will and is a huge disappointment
b) hasn't lived up to expectations of a #2 yet, don't think he will but he is still going to be a solid NHLer and contributor on this team
c) His game has time to grow and has played well his first two year. The best is yet to come.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You would have done better with options like

a) hasn't yet lived up to expectations I have for a #2 pick, never will and is a huge disappointment
b) hasn't lived up to expectations of a #2 yet, don't think he will but he is still going to be a solid NHLer and contributor on this team
c) His game has time to grow and has played well his first two year. The best is yet to come.

Hey, you have thread edit powers. :biglaugh:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Would you say this about Eichel?
Not yet - he is explosive, he can do things with the puck, he has a pass, he has a shot. Yes, he's bad defensively, but that can be thought. Yes, he has some effort and attitude issues - but that normally should improve with age. Sam is missing the things you can't teach or adapt to unfortunately. I've said it for a while, and what I see from him this year is not news for me. I do think him being moved to wing again is a mistake. I think he's more effective at Center than wing and he's not great at center by any means for me. Not a bust by any stretch of the imagination - Yakupov is a bust....Sam is no where near the bust level of Yakupov but he will never be a big impact player in te NHL IMO for numerous reasons.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Not yet - he is explosive, he can do things with the puck, he has a pass, he has a shot. Yes, he's bad defensively, but that can be thought. Yes, he has some effort and attitude issues - but that normally should improve with age. Sam is missing the things you can't teach or adapt to unfortunately. I've said it for a while, and what I see from him this year is not news for me. I do think him being moved to wing again is a mistake. I think he's more effective at Center than wing and he's not great at center by any means for me. Not a bust by any stretch of the imagination - Yakupov is a bust....Sam is no where near the bust level of Yakupov but he will never be a big impact player in te NHL IMO for numerous reasons.
You can't teach hockey sense.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
You can't teach hockey sense.
The league is moving to faster players-look how Bratt made us look bad. And Mete has looked better than Juolevi. I do not see Sam being the star I thought he could be but he will be a useful player with the right line mates. He is a bit of a tweener as far as position. I wanted Ekblad but he was gone and I bought into him being the next best guy--but I did not see him play live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad