HF Habs: Anyone else completely losing interest in the Team?

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I cut my cable last year and only catch the occasional Habs game on a stream, like when Nashville came to town. I go out of my way to make sure this team and its owners don't get a dime from me.

But to answer the question, I'm not sure that I can really root for another team in the NHL as an actual fan... so I've changed sports, kinda. I've been way more interested in the NFL the past two seasons, and I've started consuming more e-sports as well. Both of those things are way more entertaining than the Habs, or even the no-hit-league in general these days.

I feel like the league overall was more entertaining circa 2009, around the time Komisarek was getting punked regularly by Lucic and the Habs would regularly lose their shit and get destroyed by the Bruins.... welp, yes I miss those times. But it's more about the actual intensity those games used to bring,and that intensity used to unite and make us all feel like we were a part of some greater collective fighting against the forces of evil.

I think that NHL kinda died after the year the Flyers and Pens had a series for the ages. I don't feel any of that today, even when I watch other teams, and I think that it's becoming much more of a skill trumps all league which is good in a lot ways, but I feel like the games are way less intense than they used to be.

All of that to say that the Habs not being worth anybody's time coupled with the NHL, to me at least, being a couple of pegs lower in the entertainment aspect than a couple of years ago, has made me lose interest in the overall product. It also doesn't help when my alternatives actually provide way more entertainment value per minute watched.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

davey999

Mar 9, 2004
This year, yes. I haven't watched more than a few minutes of a game for a couple of months.
I figure, if they don't seem to care, why should I? Many other things to watch, when I choose TV.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
To address the thread question...

It was difficult to watch this team this year, especially around November to February and right before the trade deadline...

I've found a renewed interest since the team called up Juulsen, Lindgren, Scherbak though...and the fact we're seeing guys like DLR, Mete, Lehkonen, Hudon play in expanded roles has been refreshing.

I don't mind the team losing - I do mind it when at the end of a game we got shutout Tomas Plekanec & Byron Froese led our centers in TOI, that's not something I could stomach.

Reactions: Runner77

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The games are boring as **** and there's not much to look forward to, so why waste hours every week? I rather go to the gym or something during that time.
For sure.
This aint saying much because the GM is such an incompetent. But I would have this team in the play offs and competing for the Cup. So would most hockey fanatics I know, as well as many on this board. I would do it for less than MB, without a long term contract and all my staff would be better hockey men than his. With the exception of Julien.

Give me these players (in or approaching their prime). Price, Subban, Patches, Chucky, Gallagher, Patteryn, Eler. A few vets like Markov, Pleks, Moen, Gionta, and Cole to trade for prospect and picks. Give me all that and I will build a team that contends for the Cup every season.

What you can bet your house on.....is that I wont take them to the basement of the league and build a team that fans don't even care to watch. ....... Only an idiot could do that.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Also fwiw you can boycott for personal reasons but boycotting sports teams does not work.
depends how you define "work"

Im enjoying the NHL (far more than I have enjoyed the Canadiens in years). So it works for me:laugh:......if not for the team.

Reactions: E82

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yes. Even if they were a bad team, but could score the odd goal, I may watch but I have given up for the rest of the year. Knowing that the spoiled rich kid owner has no issue with his idiot GM, and he's going to let him 'fix' this team, is reason enough to give up. Bad trades will ensue, another 5 years without a C, and i bet they do everything to get Pleks back, no matter what the salary is.

Reactions: cphabs

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I’m not losing interest, but I’ve grown to almost hate that which I used to love the most. I’ve watched the Habs for 4 decades now, and I’ve never felt so despondent or so angry with team management and direction. This team used to have an eye for talent and the ability to field the best of the best. We developed talent through a rich farm system, and we prospered. Famed alumni were brought back into the fold and helped develop the new talent - helping on and off the ice. Now, most of the old alumni are estranged and not welcomed back around the team. The farm system sucks and hasn’t produced much of anything over the past while... I just don’t see the pride in wearing the jersey anymore other than maybe 2 or 3 players. Even the organization doesn’t do tributes like it used to... it just seems there’s a focus on dollars and no longer on pride, tradition and the honour of being a Hab. I feel like Leafs fans felt during the Harold Ballard years.

Reactions: Runner77 and JLP

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
I have watched the least amount of hockey in 35 years this year. I am a die hard and never thought this could happen. They were out of it so early it makes the games less exciting to watch and the lack of goal scoring less entertaining... I watched the team through their thin years, every game. Now I jam, or play vids, or watch Netflix with the wife sometimes when games are on, I'd never do that 5 years ago.

This general malaise started after they didn't fire Therrien for missing the playoffs 2 years ago and dicking around our young players. Even when winning the division last year, I just wasn't into it, maybe I'm older, maybe it's Bergevin?

Reactions: Runner77 and PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Right lol. It doesn't effect the bottom line of the team is my point.
Me as a fan not caring if they win or lose or bothering to watch games......Molson not caring if they win or lose....Having a good GM , having an idiot for a GM......

Same effect on bottom line................you make a valid and proven point.

Thats why people are saying the Leafs and Habs have completely switched places in the league

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I have watched the least amount of hockey in 35 years this year. I am a die hard and never thought this could happen. They were out of it so early it makes the games less exciting to watch and the lack of goal scoring less entertaining... I watched the team through their thin years, every game. Now I jam, or play vids, or watch Netflix with the wife sometimes when games are on, I'd never do that 5 years ago.

This general malaise started after they didn't fire Therrien for missing the playoffs 2 years ago and dicking around our young players. Even when winning the division last year, I just wasn't into it, maybe I'm older, maybe it's Bergevin?
Im getting the feeling their are thousands of us just like you.

No GM in Canadiens history has had that kind of negative effect.

Its like pro wrest;ling where a guy goes from good guy to bad guy. (not a fan of WWF btw)

Im starting to hate the Canadiens. ha!

Watched the Bruins beat the Pens last night and enjoyed it. Would have watched that game even if the Habs were on.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I hate this organization, it's lack of pride and courage but I'm still obsessed with hockey and the Canadiens. It's still part of my identity, my attachement to the team is forever. More so, now that I lost hope of being a fan of a successful team for a few years, I can follow the team with lower expectations and enjoy watching the younger players grow. So no, still a fan, wishful for change.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
This year has been brutal but honestly since the pre-Subban trade collapse I've become less and less interested in supporting/watching this team play. I find the product boring, I really don't feel like ownership cares about winning and the management/coaches are unlikable and incompetent for the most part. Anyone else in my boat/looking for another team to follow?

Oddly, yes I am disinterested. I never missed games before this season. Now I'm missing most of them.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I’m not losing interest, but I’ve grown to almost hate that which I used to love the most. I’ve watched the Habs for 4 decades now, and I’ve never felt so despondent or so angry with team management and direction. This team used to have an eye for talent and the ability to field the best of the best. We developed talent through a rich farm system, and we prospered. Famed alumni were brought back into the fold and helped develop the new talent - helping on and off the ice. Now, most of the old alumni are estranged and not welcomed back around the team. The farm system sucks and hasn’t produced much of anything over the past while... I just don’t see the pride in wearing the jersey anymore other than maybe 2 or 3 players. Even the organization doesn’t do tributes like it used to... it just seems there’s a focus on dollars and no longer on pride, tradition and the honour of being a Hab. I feel like Leafs fans felt during the Harold Ballard years.
There is also a focus on a bunch of buddies getting in on the jobs and enjoying the ride.

No class.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I hate this organization, it's lack of pride and courage but I'm still obsessed with hockey and the Canadiens. It's still part of my identity, my attachement to the team is forever. More so, now that I lost hope of being a fan of a successful team for a few years, I can follow the team with lower expectations and enjoy watching the younger players grow. So no, still a fan, wishful for change.
I enjoy watching Molson, MB lose. Dont care who to?

My history with this great team is just that..... history. Does not automatically transfer to this outfit.

If I started watching hockey today.....lol. These arrogant idiots would be the enemy immediately.

Last edited:

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I've lost a considerable amount of interest over the last 2 years. A winning team that plays a boring style, I can watch. A losing team that plays an exciting style? I can watch. A losing team that plays a boring style...

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I haven't watched a full game since maybe game 10 of this season. Watched maybe half of the games last season, last season I made an effort to watch every game was when we still had Subban.

Our defence is atrocious and the length of Alzner's contract means it will be for a while longer.

Bergevin can't go soon enough.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I honestly lost a lot of interest in the team back when they hired Jacques Martin and let half the team go. Ever since then it hasn't been fun to watch and hasn't felt the same.

Reactions: PaulD, the and Seb

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
To address the thread question...

It was difficult to watch this team this year, especially around November to February and right before the trade deadline...

I've found a renewed interest since the team called up Juulsen, Lindgren, Scherbak though...and the fact we're seeing guys like DLR, Mete, Lehkonen, Hudon play in expanded roles has been refreshing.

I don't mind the team losing - I do mind it when at the end of a game we got shutout Tomas Plekanec & Byron Froese led our centers in TOI, that's not something I could stomach.

Literally everyone of those players aside from Lindgren and Scherbak are slated to be bottom pairing D-men/Bottom 6 Forwards. Scherbak has an outside chance at being a 2nd line winger. Lindgren is the only player in this list that has any potential to be an impact player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Every fan has a right to do whatever they want but I will always enjoy watching the Habs play. I think we are not as doomed as a lot of people think. After Price (age 30) and Weber (age 32), we have a decent age 25 and under core. If we can add a few key pieces around them in the next draft, I think the direction of the team will be solid moving forward. We might still have another year or two of struggle but I can see our team being a much better team in a few years.

- 6 top 70 picks in the next draft is a big deal. If you are not happy about this and how this will reinforce our prospect pool, you don`t know how hockey teams are built. All Habs fans should be extremely excited about the 2018 draft. We are going to walk away with 3 or 4 solid future assets and possibly more in this draft. Lets hope we are able to get some Centers and depth on LD.

- Price rebounding next year is important though. I think he will but if he can`t, this is major reason for concern. No need to panic at this stage yet though.

- Weber is 33 next year. All this talk about declining is BS IMO. This talk should start happening around age 35 or when his stats (goal scoring) take major dips and they have not yet. Personally, I`m not worry about Weber and I hope he is our next captain. Don`t give it to Gallagher please. Let Gallagher be Gallagher and do this thing. Last thing he needs is the media and fan base putting extra pressure on him. Weber is a good choice IMO.

- Drouin, Galchenyuk, Mete, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Juulsen, Scherbak, Hudon, Lindgren, Poehling: Looking forward to watching them mature in the next few years and making impacts on our roster.

- Bitten, Brook, Evans, Vejemo, Fleury, McNiven, Primeau, Ikonen, Addison, Lernout: Who knows from these guys but I expect a few surprises and a few disappointments. The key is quantity and we have a lot of B type prospects. Expecting all of these prospects to turn into Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, etc is not reasonable and it`s unnecessary negative IMO.

This season is a blessing in disguise and the pressure to win has been decreased while we get another top 10 pick people! This is a big deal for our team!

Reactions: Redux91 and sharks9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad