HF Habs: Anyone else completely losing interest in the Team?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yep, not one of these fans that will drink the cool aid and thank the Gods we have team. It's a two way street and right now the way this team is being managed, I just dont care. I watch 1 or 2 games a month, and it's also usually in the background. I always get my notifications on game results though otherwise I have no interest in following a management staff that has an arrogant attitude and takes the fan base for a bunch of idiots. I will never stop being a fan but I dont have to go around an parade like Im the biggest fan in the world to prove it. As long as Bergevin is there I'll keep my distance, I've had enough of this circus.
Same here.

But i have watched a ton of games this season that blow away any game I have seen the Habs involved with in years.

There is a great race for the play offs this year, a great race for the cup, superstars playing every night, young future superstars throughout the league, ......its just that Bergevins Canadiens are not a part of any of this. So why watch?

Too boot, MB has pressers that tell of a PLAN to maybe one day become part of that. :laugh:

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Before the upgrade we uswd to be able to see how many members/guests were at a thread/ forum, but no longer. Too bad, used to like that.

Seems to me though that numbers are down.

I went through the horrible Houle years. Then BG came in and did lots of good but also lots of bad and the team could have been so much better.

With this team I find that I am emotionally spent. I have seen MB do good things but also so much bad. Including errors I have seen with the past regime and new issues particular to MB.

I dont have confidence in MB. He has a chance to rebuild or at least heavily retool. If he doesnt, and takes the play offs now approach, I foresee a team that constantly is at the edges of the play offs, but certainly not a Cup contender. If it goes that way, while I will always be a Habs fan, I just wont have the energy to follow as passionately as I have. Which is a loss for me.

mtl_felix

Sep 10, 2006
Lavaltrie, Quebec
The games are boring as f*** and there's not much to look forward to, so why waste hours every week? I rather go to the gym or something during that time.

Reactions: PaulD

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
It's actually the opposite for me. I want to see them lose, but I can't help but like what I'm seeing. The team is full of young and exciting players.

The games have been more entertaining as of late.

Habs remade their left defense from last year and made it worse. Now it's gone through another makeover now, but a change in the right direction this time around.
I am wondering if they are playing better because they have nothing to lose,no pressure.The fossil behind the bench is probably giving them a little more rope.When next season starts he will probably reel them in again and we will be back to the same boring,losing defense first style.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I have absolutely lost interest. I still watch every game, but I really don't care. I do other things while the game is on, my gf comes in the room changes the channel and I don't bat an eye... The Marc Bergevin era has really put this team back in my mind of things I care deeply about. It has nothing to do with losing, but everything to do with poor decisions by unqualified personnel.

As a die hard fan, watching your team be managed into the ground is down right depressing. This team is not in dark times, this team is in the event horizon and I pray that whatever the black hole decides to spit out has swallowed the small minded fools running this team.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
It's hard wanting your team to lose. Add the fact that the management team has no idea what they are doing.
Yet I still watch all the games maybe mostly out of habit.
It would not take much to bring me back in at 110% new management and a clear plan. And a new coach that would have the players play like its 2018.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I am wondering if they are playing better because they have nothing to lose,no pressure.The fossil behind the bench is probably giving them a little more rope.When next season starts he will probably reel them in again and we will be back to the same boring,losing defense first style.

Good points. However we shall see for next year how things will pan out. At this moment, I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.

But something that must be kept in mind, while there is truth they may be playing with nothing to lose, many teams they play against are playing with something to win (playoff spots).

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I can't imagine watching a full game of this boring product.

There's ~ 10 exciting players in the NHL. The Habs were lucky to have one, but traded him away.

The Habs best player's job is to stand still most of the game and stop pucks. He's often praised for his economical movements. Hardly exciting. Not worth setting the PVR for. He's often injured, and when healthy, plays only 3/4 of the games. He's overpaid.

Habs management is incompetent. Not likeable. They seem to prioritize friendships and language over hockey when making decisions. 2 of the last 3 seasons have seen fans cheering for losses instead of wins. The GM is condescending, gets facts wrong, is quick with excuses - even in advance to set low expectations. He's building is team to suit a bygone era of heavy hockey.

Despite lack of success, the prospect pool remains thin. One of the worst in the league. There are much, much better teams with way more depth in their prospect ranks. There isn't a single prospect that can be earmarked for a top line or d-pairing. There's no prospect that fans are hoping to see in the lineup down the stretch as they look to the future. Scherbak and Mete aren't top line players.

Reactions: justafan22 and Roke

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1. Nashville Predators and PK Subban
2. Washington Capitals and Lars Eller + Alex Ovechkin
3. Tampa Bay Lightning and Sergachyov + Kucherov
4. Toronto Maple Leafs and Plekanec + Matthews
5. Winnipeg Jets and Laine + Ehlers
6. Dallas Stars and Radulov + Benn/Seguin

There's six teams to easily cheer for and watch over the Habs, and the majority of them feature an ex Habs who should have never left and we've replaced with far worse players.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sad to say but yeah, it's hard to watch. When you have only the draft to look forward to it's pretty sad.

Saddest thing though is knowing that things aren't going to get better anytime soon. There's no plan.

Reactions: Roke

Scottish Hab

Mar 2, 2018
Glasgow
Long time lurker on here, thought I'd sign up to chuck my 2 cents in.

As the username suggests, I am from Scotland. I have ended up a Habs fan due to repeated visits to the city over a number of years, however the primary sport I follow over here is naturally, Football (Soccer!).

With that in mind, its seems very alien to me for fans to be able to consider simply abandoning their club, let alone talk about following another as some have suggested on this thread and others. Its in direct contrast to the mentality here.

While the last few years have ranged from frustrating to utter shite due to mismanagement and that does breed some cynicism - I certainly have not been staying up here to 3 & 5AM to watch every single match like in say 2013 - but I don't feel any less passionate about the club and still look forward to staying up to watch some games or the next trip over for a live one. I wouldn't really consider that being an uberfan either.

Not staying in Montreal permanently, (I usually make it over to about 1 game a season at the Bell Centre) I am not really in a position to have make a choice either way on the argument that Molson won't change anything at the Habs till he is hit in the pocket and therefore simply turning your back on the team is the only option.

But considering that, while its a logical assessment that money-men only react when hit in the pocket, at the same time don't you think its every bit your club as it is Molson's?

If point of no return arrives with the mismanagement and I guess for some it has already arrived, there are still ways to get at Molson while also backing the team on the ice, especially players like Delauriers, Mete etc. Coordinated fan boycotts publicly directed at the ownership alone are not uncommon here in European football and in my soccer clubs case, it has actually played a significant part in ousting mismanaging owners entirely in the past. They also have benefit of keeping the fans united towards a common cause while avoiding a disconnect with the club.

Anyway a bit long winded but just an opinion from a different perspective.
Hopefully such choices are not required as we will all be a wee bit happier after MB has an outstanding draft... a stopped clock is still right twice a day isn't it?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The most depressing thing is knowing he's going to be back..

- He's likely going to trade Galchenyuk for a worse player, even though Julien has rounded out his game even more and eventually he's going to click his offensive game in.

- He's going to trade Pacioretty for a second rate player like Ryan Nugent Hopkins instead of moving Patches for futures that will actually help kick start the rebuild.

- He's going to throw some money at very mediocre UFA players, (see: Alzner, Karl) in order to try to push the team forward to merely contend for the play-offs.

- Whoever we draft in the top 10 of this draft, if it isn't Brady Tkachuk, will be traded or mishandled (Hi Galchenyuk.. Hi Sergachyov)

- He will use our bevvy of 2nd round picks as currency to make a trade for a garbage player (a declining Hawks player? Milan Lucic?)

Reactions: OldManGroin

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A fan who stops watching/giving interest during dark times, don't deserve to be subjected to the good times.
I'm okay with my team going through dark times. That's par for the course with any team.

What I'm not okay with though is watching my promising up and coming club get dismantled by an incompetent and then watch said incompetent get extended for five years (two years before his current agreement has expired.)

As I said above though, the real problem is that there's no plan to fix the mess we're in. THAT is not a team worth watching.

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Damn this thread is depressing. I'm wishing you guys a speedy rebuild. Our division is way WAY more fun when it's got Montreal near the top.

LOL. I know we have hit a low when other teams fans miss us as a competitor.

I know what you mean though. Those play off battles especially, when the emotions and excitement are off the scales. Not quite the same thing playing Tampa etc when you have a history going back almost a century.

You will either see us back in a couple of years or it will be much longer, depending what our leader does.

Thanks and Good luck, and enjoy your post season.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
The important question to ask is, if the Habs change management, commit to a rebuild/reset/retool and they suck for another 2 or 3 seasons, will you continue to watch or not? There are some who still contend that people are abandoning the club because they're playing badly. I think it's because they're playing badly AND there's no hope for any future success. NONE.

Don't let this thread be an impetus for them to try to go all-in again on a faulty core of players, just because they think the fans won't put up with a rebuild. We will! What's more, WE DEMAND IT!

Reactions: Redux91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
- He's likely going to trade Galchenyuk for a worse player, even though Julien has rounded out his game even more and eventually he's going to click his offensive game in.
This has been a constant mantra on this board for the last 2-3yrs, if I were to list the names of "worse players" Bergevin was about to trade Galchenyuk for, it would make your head spin.

Truth is, based on everything we've read about Galchenyuk and the Habs shopping him, its that Bergevin actually values him much more than what is assumed here. He is, afterall, his first ever draft pick, I don't think it makes sense to assume he wants to discard him as soon as he can.

- He's going to trade Pacioretty for a second rate player like Ryan Nugent Hopkins instead of moving Patches for futures that will actually help kick start the rebuild.
Again, if this was true, wouldn't Pacioretty be gone already? You don't think teams tried to make a squeeze play on Bergevin for Pacioretty?

- He's going to throw some money at very mediocre UFA players, (see: Alzner, Karl) in order to try to push the team forward to merely contend for the play-offs.
Finally, a fear rooted in reality...yes, this is certainly a possibility.

- Whoever we draft in the top 10 of this draft, if it isn't Brady Tkachuk, will be traded or mishandled (Hi Galchenyuk.. Hi Sergachyov)
I'd be more worried he actually trades our 1st this year to speed up his "re-tooling" process

- He will use our bevvy of 2nd round picks as currency to make a trade for a garbage player (a declining Hawks player? Milan Lucic?)
Now we're talking...agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad