HF Habs: Anyone else completely losing interest in the Team?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Watching bits, here and there, when games are on, but most of the time I just do something else instead. Regained a bit of interest lately cause of the kids playing well in that lost season, but I'm waiting for the draft to rekindle a spark for that mess of a team.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Literally everyone of those players aside from Lindgren and Scherbak are slated to be bottom pairing D-men/Bottom 6 Forwards. Scherbak has an outside chance at being a 2nd line winger. Lindgren is the only player in this list that has any potential to be an impact player.
Ok??

And that's supposed to mean what exactly?

That I can't be interested watching them? I have to have a constant morbidity to watching the Habs like a lot of folks here?

Pass...I enjoy watching young players get playing time and establish themselves, no matter what their ultimate role ends up being.

If you feel differently, you're certainly entitled to it.

Reactions: Redux91 and sharks9

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Every fan has a right to do whatever they want but I will always enjoy watching the Habs play. I think we are not as doomed as a lot of people think. After Price (age 30) and Weber (age 32), we have a decent age 25 and under core. If we can add a few key pieces around them in the next draft, I think the direction of the team will be solid moving forward. We might still have another year or two of struggle but I can see our team being a much better team in a few years.

- 6 top 70 picks in the next draft is a big deal. If you are not happy about this and how this will reinforce our prospect pool, you don`t know how hockey teams are built. All Habs fans should be extremely excited about the 2018 draft. We are going to walk away with 3 or 4 solid future assets and possibly more in this draft. Lets hope we are able to get some Centers and depth on LD.

- Price rebounding next year is important though. I think he will but if he can`t, this is major reason for concern. No need to panic at this stage yet though.

- Weber is 33 next year. All this talk about declining is BS IMO. This talk should start happening around age 35 or when his stats (goal scoring) take major dips and they have not yet. Personally, I`m not worry about Weber and I hope he is our next captain. Don`t give it to Gallagher please. Let Gallagher be Gallagher and do this thing. Last thing he needs is the media and fan base putting extra pressure on him. Weber is a good choice IMO.

- Drouin, Galchenyuk, Mete, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Juulsen, Scherbak, Hudon, Lindgren, Poehling: Looking forward to watching them mature in the next few years and making impacts on our roster.

- Bitten, Brook, Evans, Vejemo, Fleury, McNiven, Primeau, Ikonen, Addison, Lernout: Who knows from these guys but I expect a few surprises and a few disappointments. The key is quantity and we have a lot of B type prospects. Expecting all of these prospects to turn into Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, etc is not reasonable and it`s unnecessary negative IMO.

This season is a blessing in disguise and the pressure to win has been decreased while we get another top 10 pick people! This is a big deal for our team!

You're optimist about the team. I'd say that's a good thing.

But I'm not.

Cause, see, I thought that 2012 was a blessing in disguise, too.

And I also thought that 2016 was one...

Now, I'm really happy about the next draft, we have tons of possibly meaningful picks, and I also like those last 2 drafts.

But the problem is, the 'assets' are not the problem, it's the way those assets are badly mismanaged.

Bergevin ate major crows this season. And while some may argue that he's not responsible for every bad steps that happened in this organization this season (or the last few), he's responsible for maintaining some majorly incompetent staff in place for whatever reasons. And, he said it himself anyway...

sbnation-share__5_.0.png

Can he learn from his mistakes ? Well, I believe everyone can learn, at any time, to fix his own mistakes.

But one needs 'character' to look himself in the mirror to be able to do that.

And I'm not sure Bergevin has the 'character' to do that.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Every fan has a right to do whatever they want but I will always enjoy watching the Habs play. I think we are not as doomed as a lot of people think. After Price (age 30) and Weber (age 32), we have a decent age 25 and under core. If we can add a few key pieces around them in the next draft, I think the direction of the team will be solid moving forward. We might still have another year or two of struggle but I can see our team being a much better team in a few years.

- 6 top 70 picks in the next draft is a big deal. If you are not happy about this and how this will reinforce our prospect pool, you don`t know how hockey teams are built. All Habs fans should be extremely excited about the 2018 draft. We are going to walk away with 3 or 4 solid future assets and possibly more in this draft. Lets hope we are able to get some Centers and depth on LD.

- Price rebounding next year is important though. I think he will but if he can`t, this is major reason for concern. No need to panic at this stage yet though.

- Weber is 33 next year. All this talk about declining is BS IMO. This talk should start happening around age 35 or when his stats (goal scoring) take major dips and they have not yet. Personally, I`m not worry about Weber and I hope he is our next captain. Don`t give it to Gallagher please. Let Gallagher be Gallagher and do this thing. Last thing he needs is the media and fan base putting extra pressure on him. Weber is a good choice IMO.

- Drouin, Galchenyuk, Mete, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Juulsen, Scherbak, Hudon, Lindgren, Poehling: Looking forward to watching them mature in the next few years and making impacts on our roster.

- Bitten, Brook, Evans, Vejemo, Fleury, McNiven, Primeau, Ikonen, Addison, Lernout: Who knows from these guys but I expect a few surprises and a few disappointments. The key is quantity and we have a lot of B type prospects. Expecting all of these prospects to turn into Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, etc is not reasonable and it`s unnecessary negative IMO.

This season is a blessing in disguise and the pressure to win has been decreased while we get another top 10 pick people! This is a big deal for our team!

In theory you are correct, but with the misfits running the team, the draft won't amount to much. Our scouting department is suspect, and I wouldn't put it past Bergy to trade the first round pick, and a couple of seconds, for a really bad contract and older player at the draft. The draft worries me more than anything, knowing what a joke our scouting department is. You know, the same guys that said Martinsen, King and Ott would really help us going into the playoffs last year? The same guys that said Hemsky was a good risk, Semin was a good risk and all the other goofy players we have taken on like John Scott. Its a bloody mess from top to bottom, the draft won't help with this old boys club in place.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Don't let anyone here rain on your Habs parade...if you're still enthusiastic about watching the Habs, you're allowed man!

Enjoy the game tonight

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Until Bergevin is fired I have no hope for us having a good team.

But, I like a lot of our young players and hope they will taste success under a new GM. My favorite young players, in order:

Scherbak, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Drouin, Juulsen, Mete, Danault, Hudon, Lehkonen, Carr, Lindgren, Deslaurier, Byron, Reilly, Valieve, Froese.

And, I like our vets: Price, Petry, Weber, Pacioretty,

Not a fan of Alzner and Shaw.

As usual. Meaningless name dropping that actually compares poorly to most other NHL groups.

Our roster is terrible but the prospect/youth pool might be even worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Don't let anyone here rain on your Habs parade...if you're still enthusiastic about watching the Habs, you're allowed man!

Enjoy the game tonight

[MOD]

And yes, we've all been there. And if it weren't for this crappy management having the reverse midas touch where everything turns to shit, i'd still be as optimistic as she is, especially about young players. But that's just it. Everybody knows now; Bergevin and Molson are both highly inadequate in their functions. This needs to change and it's hard being optimistic until it does change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Lost interest a coupla years ago when Bergy burrowed into that foxhole as the team died instead of manning up and firing Therrien. He's a chesty shmuck and a disgrace to the tricoleur will be glad when he's gone.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
It's been a frustrating few years, the 15/16 collapse led to MB doubling down on "character". I probably won't ever be over the Subban trade but what's most frustrating is they made that trade and did nothing with Weber's first year which will almost certainly prove to be his most valuable year with the Habs. I still wouldn't have loved it but if Shaw/Weber/Radulov happened in summer 2016 and then they did Sergachev+ for Drouin or Duchene at the 2017 deadline to make a run I would have accepted that they made an honest shot at the cup and failed.

Instead they made a massive "win now" trade and then sat on their hands while Price and Pacioretty's contracts ticked down, Weber and Petry age into their 30s, and Radulov/Markov played key 1RW and 2D roles on expiring contracts, and now it's probably too late unless the stars align and the Habs get Dahlin and Tavares.

I'm glad they're playing more young players/prospects now and it's been fun watching Mete/Juulsen/Lehkonen/Hudon/Scherbak instead of Froese/Schlemko/Morrow etc. but they don't exactly put visions of a future contender in my head. I dunno, as a fan it just sucks that year 6 of the 5 year plan the core is expensive, too old, and the prospect pool is mediocre and the only core pieces he added were Petry and 1 year of Radulov. If Bergevin can't build a contender around a 23 year old Norris level D, 23 year old perennial 35G winger, and a 25 year old Vezina/Hart level goalie, what makes a fan believe he can build one around Drouin, Mete, and Lindgren?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ok??

And that's supposed to mean what exactly?

That I can't be interested watching them? I have to have a constant morbidity to watching the Habs like a lot of folks here?

Pass...I enjoy watching young players get playing time and establish themselves, no matter what their ultimate role ends up being.

If you feel differently, you're certainly entitled to it.
I enjoy watching young players get playing time and establish themselves too................. thats why I watch the Jets, Lightening, Bruins, Knights and alot. ;)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's been a frustrating few years, the 15/16 collapse led to MB doubling down on "character". I probably won't ever be over the Subban trade but what's most frustrating is they made that trade and did nothing with Weber's first year which will almost certainly prove to be his most valuable year with the Habs. I still wouldn't have loved it but if Shaw/Weber/Radulov happened in summer 2016 and then they did Sergachev+ for Drouin or Duchene at the 2017 deadline to make a run I would have accepted that they made an honest shot at the cup and failed.

Instead they made a massive "win now" trade and then sat on their hands while Price and Pacioretty's contracts ticked down, Weber and Petry age into their 30s, and Radulov/Markov played key 1RW and 2D roles on expiring contracts, and now it's probably too late unless the stars align and the Habs get Dahlin and Tavares.

I'm glad they're playing more young players/prospects now and it's been fun watching Mete/Juulsen/Lehkonen/Hudon/Scherbak instead of Froese/Schlemko/Morrow etc. but they don't exactly put visions of a future contender in my head. I dunno, as a fan it just sucks that year 6 of the 5 year plan the core is expensive, too old, and the prospect pool is mediocre and the only core pieces he added were Petry and 1 year of Radulov. If Bergevin can't build a contender around a 23 year old Norris level D, 23 year old perennial 35G winger, and a 25 year old Vezina/Hart level goalie, what makes a fan believe he can build one around Drouin, Mete, and Lindgren?
We know he cant. That is what is so repelling.

Reactions: groovejuice

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
[MOD]
And yes, we've all been there. And if it weren't for this crappy management having the reverse midas touch where everything turns to ****, i'd still be as optimistic as she is, especially about young players. But that's just it. Everybody knows now; Bergevin and Molson are both highly inadequate in their functions. This needs to change and it's hard being optimistic until it does change.
No doubt - again, I was right there 2 weeks ago.

But the trade deadline has brought new fresh faces that are still shiny for now, so i'm enjoying the last 20 games because the 60 or so prior haven't been fun to watch.

The good news is I've been able to watch a lot new shows i've been meaning to watch...currently "The Chi" has taken over my life to the point I don't want to watch the last episode I have due to the void it leave in my life that the Habs can no longer fill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I enjoy watching young players get playing time and establish themselves too................. thats why I watch the Jets, Lightening, Bruins, Knights and alot. ;)
I only have room in my heart for the Habs lol but no doubt, those teams have some fun players their fans can watch.

It leaves me more bitter than anything else.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You're optimist about the team. I'd say that's a good thing.

But I'm not.

Cause, see, I thought that 2012 was a blessing in disguise, too.

And I also thought that 2016 was one...

Now, I'm really happy about the next draft, we have tons of possibly meaningful picks, and I also like those last 2 drafts.

But the problem is, the 'assets' are not the problem, it's the way those assets are badly mismanaged.

Bergevin ate major crows this season. And while some may argue that he's not responsible for every bad steps that happened in this organization this season (or the last few), he's responsible for maintaining some majorly incompetent staff in place for whatever reasons. And, he said it himself anyway...

Can he learn from his mistakes ? Well, I believe everyone can learn, at any time, to fix his own mistakes.

But one needs 'character' to look himself in the mirror to be able to do that.

And I'm not sure Bergevin has the 'character' to do that.

"Its on me"

I laughed when Biff stated that like it was a news flash.

As if anyone thought it wasn't on him :snide:

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That's exactly what Bergevin is going to pass on to the next GM, a torched roster.

Luckily there is always the CAP SPACE and TRADE to fill it. Some teams are going to struggle in this regard. Teams that want to bid on Tavares are going to have to move some pieces. Maybe you get a good one. What if Couture suddenly became available? Could you revisit Scandella for a 35 pick? A top 4 d like Hamonic came at a steep price. Is Pacioretty a lateral asset in this situation?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yep, not one of these fans that will drink the cool aid and thank the Gods we have team. It's a two way street and right now the way this team is being managed, I just dont care. I watch 1 or 2 games a month, and it's also usually in the background. I always get my notifications on game results though otherwise I have no interest in following a management staff that has an arrogant attitude and takes the fan base for a bunch of idiots. I will never stop being a fan but I dont have to go around an parade like Im the biggest fan in the world to prove it. As long as Bergevin is there I'll keep my distance, I've had enough of this circus.

Most of the posts in this thread suggest a loss of interest in games, not the team.

Posters for the most part, aren't giving up on the team, just on this version of the team as characterized by this particular management group.

They're also giving up on watching meaningless games where the coach (and/or Bergevin) are continuing with failed experiments like having Drouin play center, playing Niemi over Lindgren, not giving games to Galchenyuk at C, inexplicably sitting the likes of Hudon, not putting Alzner on third pairing -- basically, not using these meaningless games to prepare next year. Insult to injury after Bergevin was unable to do anything with a bloated, carried over cap room and no moves of consequence at the TDL.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Most of the posts in this thread suggest a loss of interest in games, not the team.

Posters for the most part, aren't giving up on the team, just on this version of the team as characterized by this particular management group.

They're also giving up on watching meaningless games where the coach (and/or Bergevin) are continuing with failed experiments like having Drouin play center, playing Niemi over Lindgren, not giving games to Galchenyuk at C, inexplicably sitting the likes of Hudon, not putting Alzner on third pairing -- basically, not using these meaningless games to prepare next year. Insult to injury after Bergevin was unable to do anything with a bloated, carried over cap room and no moves of consequence at the TDL.
If you're referring to tonight, I believe Julien said Hudon blocked a shot with his hand last game and is out as a result of it

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Luckily there is always the CAP SPACE and TRADE to fill it. Teams that want to bid on Tavares are going to have to move some pieces. Maybe you get a good one. What if Couture suddenly became available? A top 4 d like Hamonic came at a steep price. Is Pacioretty a lateral asset in this situation?

You're assuming Bergevin learned something from his UFA negotiations of last year. Or that the likes of Tavares actually wants to sign here. I'm afraid that if all fails we end up overpaying for Berglund or some other non-elite option at 1C. If the same management staff is allowed to continue as is until the draft, it would be foolish to expect a different result.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you're referring to tonight, I believe Julien said Hudon blocked a shot with his hand last game and is out as a result of it

If that's what it is, then it isn't "inexplicably". What about Deslauriers? I only heard that they were out of the lineup on 690, didn't see the rationale behind it. They just signed Deslauriers, he's sitting quite a bit. I know he's a bottom line player but he's being counted upon to be on next year's roster. Why not play him?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can't imagine watching a full game of this boring product.

There's ~ 10 exciting players in the NHL.

And we used to own two of them.

But, would be exciting to know if there are new people in place with a new vision, as soon as the season ends, no matter what Bergevin said at his PC.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
What sucks as well is when you look around at the other teams in our division, it's not getting any easier going forward.
So many teams are in much better shape then us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad