Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
There was nothing wrong with the hit...both players were moving, and Pateryn's head/helmet made contact with Shaw's face/jaw on impact. The hit itself was legal.

It was an unfortunate series of events that ultimately culminated in Shaw perhaps not being at full capacity when he decided to engage Pateryn.

This really isn't about the money Shaw is making or the fact Bergevin acquired him for 2 draft picks some people have convinced themselves would of been DeBrincat and Girard.

If you followed at all what Shaw went through last year after his concussion, you put aside that petty stuff and just realize that he's a young man with a family.

This is ridiculous man

Good post!

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
You're bias, extremely bias. Shaw hit him in the chest and left shoulder. He never touched his head. You want to continue with this BS go ahead but there's video out there for people to check. If that was a head shot then we might as well shut down the league and have the Ice Capades take over the schedule.

Well yes their heads did collide. That's how Shaw knocked himself out. Was it a hit to the head? No. But saying he never touched his head is blatantly false.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Well yes their heads did collide. That's how Shaw knocked himself out. Was it a hit to the head? No. But saying he never touched his head is blatantly false.

In a previous post I said they knocked helmets. WTK is claiming that Shaw targeted Pateryn's head. That's what I meant when I said that.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There was nothing wrong with the hit...both players were moving, and Pateryn's head/helmet made contact with Shaw's face/jaw on impact. The hit itself was legal.

It was an unfortunate series of events that ultimately culminated in Shaw perhaps not being at full capacity when he decided to engage Pateryn.

This really isn't about the money Shaw is making or the fact Bergevin acquired him for 2 draft picks some people have convinced themselves would of been DeBrincat and Girard.

If you followed at all what Shaw went through last year after his concussion, you put aside that petty stuff and just realize that he's a young man with a family.

This is ridiculous man

He should retire. If he steps back onto the ice and smashes his head again trying to deliver a big hit, I'm not going to have sympathy for him. That's just being stupid at this point. There's only so much you can say for an individual if they willingly continue to do the same things that got them injured in the first place.

You can see in the video where Shaw is targeting, Pateryn sees the hit coming and comes up a bit to protect himself, which creates the whiplash effect that has Shaw's helmet hit Pateryn's helmet. But he was clearly hunting and the trajectory of the hit was to kill, not to hit. Him getting injured on the play was the result of him being reckless with the path he took and the intentions he had with the hit.

I'm not going to feel bad about a guy who doesn't care that other people that he's tried to injure and has injured in the past, are also young men with families.

I'm not going to give Shaw the respect that he doesn't give to the other players on the ice.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Their heads collided as a result of both players being in movement and the impact of their bodies colliding resulted in a whiplash effect.

This is like blaming someone for getting a concussion during a car accident because their head hit the steering wheel after being crashed into.

are you guys serious right now?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He should retire. If he steps back onto the ice and smashes his head again trying to deliver a big hit, I'm not going to have sympathy for him. That's just being stupid at this point. There's only so much you can say for an individual if they willingly continue to do the same things that got them injured in the first place.

You can see in the video where Shaw is targeting, Pateryn sees the hit coming and comes up a bit to protect himself, which creates the whiplash effect that has Shaw's helmet hit Pateryn's helmet. But he was clearly hunting and the trajectory of the hit was to kill, not to hit. Him getting injured on the play was the result of him being reckless with the path he took and the intentions he had with the hit.

I'm not going to feel bad about a guy who doesn't care that other people that he's tried to injure and has injured in the past, are also young men with families.

I'm not going to give Shaw the respect that he doesn't give to the other players on the ice.

It's not even respect at this point - it's just decency.

You're clearly letting your personal feelings about the player and what he was acquired for and what he was ultimately signed too, cloud your judgement.

Like at least wait a few days or just don't comment at all....no offense WTK, you're a good dude but this isn't your finest moment.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Their heads collided as a result of both players being in movement and the impact of their bodies colliding resulted in a whiplash effect.

This is like blaming someone for getting a concussion during a car accident because their head hit the steering wheel after being crashed into.

Serious about what? I am not blaming Shaw about anything. Shaw threw a hit. Shaw's head collided with Pateryn's head giving him a concussion. Where am I blaming Shaw? Habs Icing said he never touched his head and video evidence shows Shaw's head hitting Pateryn's head. That is fact.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's not even respect at this point - it's just decency.

You're clearly letting your personal feelings about the player and what he was acquired for and what he was ultimately signed too, cloud your judgement.

Like at least wait a few days or just don't comment at all....no offense WTK, you're a good dude but this isn't your finest moment.

My point is - he doesn't show decency to the people he plays hockey against. The result of this hit to himself is the result of hits he has given to other players in the past.

I'm not going to give Shaw a higher standard than what he deserves. This shit doesn't happen to him if he doesn't extend upward into the hit and just lays a solid, clean body check into Pateryn. Sucks to suck for Shaw, but that's what happens when you try to kill someone who's way bigger than you.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Serious about what? I am not blaming Shaw about anything. Shaw threw a hit. Shaw's head collided with Pateryn's head giving him a concussion. Where am I blaming Shaw? Habs Icing said he never touched his head and video evidence shows Shaw's head hitting Pateryn's head. That is fact.

Fair enough - but the way you're putting it, makes it seem as though Shaw was leading with his head to basically head butt Pateryn....

Their heads colliding is a direct result of the force of the impact of both players bodies colliding at high speeds. There was nothing wrong with the hit itself. Just an unfortunate outcome.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal

Pretty much the same thing -to a lesser extent- that happened to Kevin Stevens.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
My point is - he doesn't show decency to the people he plays hockey against. The result of this hit to himself is the result of hits he has given to other players in the past.
What does this even mean?

What happened with Greg Pateryn last night has absolutely nothing to do with any previous incident he was involved in.

I'm not going to give Shaw a higher standard than what he deserves.
Higher standard?

I don't think I asked you to give him a higher standard.

This **** doesn't happen to him if he doesn't extend upward into the hit and just lays a solid, clean body check into Pateryn. Sucks to suck for Shaw, but that's what happens when you try to kill someone who's way bigger than you.
You're way to smart for me to explain to you what can happen when two people travelling at high rates of speed collide with each other.

Do you really think Shaw threw himself head first into Pateryn's head?

Their bodies collided first, legally I might add, their heads slammed against each other as a result of that.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
In the short term, I hope Daniel Carr gets a chance to prove his worth with Shaw's injury, in fact perhaps both Shaws can be replaced with McCarron getting a look with Hudon and Scherbak to end the year, unless Danault is coming back.

I think Andrew Shaw comes back next year. 6 months is a long time to heal from a head injury. Especially with the medical treatment available to pro athletes. I'd slot him in to the 4th line, with Carr as his sub.

With only two RH forwards of quality on this team though I'd look to bolster that in the offseason. Perron, with a wife from Quebec would be a great player to run shotgun with JD. At centre, Tyler Johnson for Pacioretty would address weaknesses in both teams.

Oh gawd please no Perron. A player who's, at times in his career, been surrounded by stars and continued to shit the bed. Ran himself out of 3-4 cities. One good season doesn't erase his disappointment of an NHL tenure.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
You're bias, extremely bias. Shaw hit him in the chest and left shoulder. He never touched his head. You want to continue with this BS go ahead but there's video out there for people to check. If that was a head shot then we might as well shut down the league and have the Ice Capades take over the schedule.

Their heads clearly collide.

26ci3t.gif

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Tell that to the NFL players who suffered from CTE at age 40... Guess their millions were worth it.

If you want to get into semantics, this is going to be a long thread. All contact sports come with risk, and reward.. its up to Andrew to figure out how to best minimize his chances of injuries. Leading with your head isn't a good idea, think he would have figured it out by now. A lot of things lead to concussions, soccer players have a high rate of them as well. The NHL should deal with all shots to the head, whether you recieve them or deliver them by leading with your skull into the delivery of the hit. Shaw has played enough hockey in his life to know the proper way to hit, the only and answer here is he is reckless.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yup, but the deniers will still see something else.
Man...I've heard/read/seen guys targeting other players heads with their elbows or shoulders.

This is the first time ever I see a player target another player's head using his own head.

SMDH

Reactions: junyab

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

The team and the NHL have a responsibility in this as well, they just don't usually err on the side of player safety. That's not acceptable to me.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I think it was a borderline hit, not clean but not dirty either.

And borderline as in borderline late.

Shaw commited to hit Pateryn after he got rid of the puck the first time.. Puck bounced on the Stars player and went back near Pateryn who tried to play the puck and Shaw hit him at the same moment. I think that the fact that Pateryn changed his positioning after the puck unexpectly bounced near him suprised Shaw who was already engaged on hitting Pateryn that's why their heads collided.

I don't think Shaw tried to head hunt Pateryn but he was a tad late on that hit.

Shaw did launched his body upward though.. something that I hate seeing. Doesn't give much chance for the "victim" to protect himself. Steve Downie was an expert on those kind of hits.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Man...I've heard/read/seen guys targeting other players heads with their elbows or shoulders.

This is the first time ever I see a player target another player's head using his own head.

SMDH
Shaw has a history of leading with his head into players, he doesn't protect himself. He isn't trying to hit with his head, its derived from his odd style of play. i really believe his concussions have made him a hazard to himself and others, he does not think clearly out there.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Shaw has a history of leading with his head into players, he doesn't protect himself. He isn't trying to hit with his head, its derived from his odd style of play. i really believe his concussions have made him a hazard to himself and others, he does not think clearly out there.
what history is this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad