Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
The board is pretty torn on this entire Shaw thing, but when I look at it, Greg got hit, Shaw got injured and Greg Basically said he deserved it. I do not think he's wrong. His style of play comes with risks.
Regardless if Greg P. used to be a hab or not.

I do hope that Shaw can still live his life the way he wants in the end. :thumbu:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Pateryn nailed it, Shaw plays with such recklessness and carelessness, he brings it on himself. He skates like an idiot out there, never learned to protect his head after how many concussions? What a tool

He was crosschecked in the head in the playoffs and was elbowed in the head by Krug, last night was a freak accident as heads collided......how is he an idiot running around recklessly, because he’s trying to hit people in a hickey game???

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Shaw should sit a full calendar year.

Habs should put him on LTIR & keep him there through next season.

It's tough as a player because it's your career, but it's also your life.

Hard to believe there were teams interested in trading for this guy at the deadline & MB said no. :facepalm:

There's no trading him now.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
some of the comments here since last night...disgusting.

Shaw tried to take Pateryn's head out first. Shaw has a history of delivering borderline awful hits and he's also been suspended for being a piece of shit as far as a human being goes.

I don't want to see the quality of life of anyone suffer because of playing a sport. But, if someone on the ice had to have it happen to them, it's better if it happens to people like Shaw, Matt Cooke or Rinaldo. The type of people who don't have any regard of the safety of their peers.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Pateryn nailed it, Shaw plays with such recklessness and carelessness, he brings it on himself. He skates like an idiot out there, never learned to protect his head after how many concussions? What a tool

He’s name’s on the cup twice exactly because of his style of play as his enduring admiration from his teammates who seem to appreciate his never stop, never surrender attitude. I guess it’s working for him.

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016

Hard to believe there were teams interested in trading for this guy at the deadline & MB said no. :facepalm:

Another Classic Marc Bergevin "Kharcter" move if you ask me...

Clearly we should have been sellers.... but all we moved was Mother F**KING PLEKS

The rangers? they moved so much more.... God I hate this GM

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He’s name’s on the cup twice exactly because of his style of play as his enduring admiration from his teammates who seem to appreciate his never stop, never surrender attitude. I guess it’s working for him.

He played smarter with Chicago, picked his spots better as well. His concussions have caught up with him, as apparent by his decision making. He also was surrounded with more size in Chicago, probably not helping him here in smurfville. He's trying to do too much physically, but he is not a big man. Used to happen a lot to this team in the 90's, early 2000's if you remember. Small players trying to do too much and paying the price physically, we would lose massive amounts of players to injuries because of it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He played smarter with Chicago, picked his spots better as well. His concussions have caught up with him, as apparent by his decision making. He also was surrounded with more size in Chicago, probably not helping him here in smurfville. He's trying to do too much physically, but he is not a big man. Used to happen a lot to this team in the 90's, early 2000's if you remember. Small players trying to do too much and paying the price physically, we would lose massive amounts of players to injuries because of it.

I think it’s more the frustration getting to him and wanting to do more. He’s much better this year than he was at the start of last season when he was seemingly out of control and just running around. He’s been much more restrained and in control this year. Even his hit on Pateryn wasn’t anything crazy. He just went for the take out and accidentally hit his head. Didn’t see any reckless abandon on that play.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
In the short term, I hope Daniel Carr gets a chance to prove his worth with Shaw's injury, in fact perhaps both Shaws can be replaced with McCarron getting a look with Hudon and Scherbak to end the year, unless Danault is coming back.

I think Andrew Shaw comes back next year. 6 months is a long time to heal from a head injury. Especially with the medical treatment available to pro athletes. I'd slot him in to the 4th line, with Carr as his sub.

With only two RH forwards of quality on this team though I'd look to bolster that in the offseason. Perron, with a wife from Quebec would be a great player to run shotgun with JD. At centre, Tyler Johnson for Pacioretty would address weaknesses in both teams.

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016
In the short term, I hope Daniel Carr gets a chance to prove his worth with Shaw's injury, in fact perhaps both Shaws can be replaced with McCarron getting a look with Hudon and Scherbak to end the year, unless Danault is coming back.

I think Andrew Shaw comes back next year. 6 months is a long time to heal from a head injury. Especially with the medical treatment available to pro athletes. I'd slot him in to the 4th line, with Carr as his sub.

With only two RH forwards of quality on this team though I'd look to bolster that in the offseason. Perron, with a wife from Quebec would be a great player to run shotgun with JD. At centre, Tyler Johnson for Pacioretty would address weaknesses in both teams.
Another poster said, unless its unbearable , he will play through pain and everything else, Lie to the doctors, take drugs (prescription) to help cope with it. I do not see him being smart about it and pulling the plug if that was best for him in the long run.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think it’s more the frustration getting to him and wanting to do more. He’s much better this year than he was at the start of last season when he was seemingly out of control and just running around. He’s been much more restrained and in control this year. Even his hit on Pateryn wasn’t anything crazy. He just went for the take out and accidentally hit his head. Didn’t see any reckless abandon on that play.

He hit his head right before that as well if I'm not mistaken, on another unsuccessful check.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Another poster said, unless its unbearable , he will play through pain and everything else, Lie to the doctors, take drugs (prescription) to help cope with it. I do not see him being smart about it and pulling the plug if that was best for him in the long run.

Clarke MacArthur was shut down by doctors. Not by choice. They told him that he couldn't play anymore. The concussion protocol is changing in the NHL. The NHL is obligated to protect a player's quality of life. If they don't that becomes grounds for post hockey lawsuits. He can lie his way through it, but the medical people know. They test you for range and recognition. I had a doctor tell me just by looking at my cognitive functions that I was high risk for dementia from a fractured skull and hockey related injuries. Medical people understand brain trauma better than ever. Shaw only plays if he heals. You look at Crosby, everyone said he was done, but he received proper medical treatment. Now the way Shaw plays is a different animal. Even if he comes back, I'd expect him to get a good shot to the head over the course of a season. A couple in one game would probably be the end.

Reactions: Tank Toad

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Shaw tried to take Pateryn's head out first. Shaw has a history of delivering borderline awful hits and he's also been suspended for being a piece of **** as far as a human being goes.

I don't want to see the quality of life of anyone suffer because of playing a sport. But, if someone on the ice had to have it happen to them, it's better if it happens to people like Shaw, Matt Cooke or Rinaldo. The type of people who don't have any regard of the safety of their peers.
You're a good poster except on those occasions when you go off the deep end. With Shaw you're always off the deep end. Shaw wasn't targeting Pateryn's head. If you look at the footage with any semblance of objectivity he aimed for his chest and they knocked helmets.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

At this point, the Habs will need to step up and protect him from himself. His well-being has to come first and foremost.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Perron has already rejected the Canadiens once so don't see that happening.

I agree with everything else. I think Carr alone replaces Shaw. There's nothing Shaw does that Carr can't do. He goes to the net, pushes the play forwards, he plays a smart physical game & doesn't take dumb penalties.

Oh, he's a lot cheaper too.

Only thing is Shaw can play center, but DLR can play 4th line center next year.

Danault 3rd.

Still need a 1st & 2nd line center.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
There's a Canes fan that offered Rask for Shaw straight up a couple days ago on the trade board.

How perfect would that be for us.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You're a good poster except on those occasions when you go off the deep end. With Shaw you're always off the deep end. Shaw wasn't targeting Pateryn's head. If you look at the footage with any semblance of objectivity he aimed for his chest and they knocked helmets.

His trajectory was upward, it wasn't straight through the body. It was an idiotic, borderline hit from Shaw.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He hit his head right before that as well if I'm not mistaken, on another unsuccessful check.

Yeah, there was an impact to the head from Faksa, if I'm not mistaken. But can't find a clip.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Shaw tried to take Pateryn's head out first. Shaw has a history of delivering borderline awful hits and he's also been suspended for being a piece of **** as far as a human being goes.

I'm a big believer in karma...so I can't subscribe to this type of thinking.

To each his own though, i'm not the moral authority here.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
His trajectory was upward, it wasn't straight through the body. It was an idiotic, borderline hit from Shaw.
You're bias, extremely bias. Shaw hit him in the chest and left shoulder. He never touched his head. You want to continue with this BS go ahead but there's video out there for people to check. If that was a head shot then we might as well shut down the league and have the Ice Capades take over the schedule.

EDIT: I wrote touched....I meant to say targeted.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There was nothing wrong with the hit...both players were moving, and Pateryn's head/helmet made contact with Shaw's face/jaw on impact. The hit itself was legal.

It was an unfortunate series of events that ultimately culminated in Shaw perhaps not being at full capacity when he decided to engage Pateryn.

This really isn't about the money Shaw is making or the fact Bergevin acquired him for 2 draft picks some people have convinced themselves would of been DeBrincat and Girard.

If you followed at all what Shaw went through last year after his concussion, you put aside that petty stuff and just realize that he's a young man with a family.

This is ridiculous man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad