Andreas Johnsson : What do you think ? any thoughts ?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Like I said last year when everyone was predicting he was a star in the making. He needs to be less fearful. He plays afraid and he shows when he plays a little harder he can compete but a consistent dedication to playing a tougher brand of hockey will hold him in good stead.

When I was watching him last year he looked like a fearless player. He was diving headfirst into pileups to try and poke pucks in and spent all kinds of time in the dirty areas. This year we are barely seeing any of that and he seems to be focusing on making really safe plays all the time. With a quick look at his stats, in his 9 games as a rookie he had 4 takeaways and 5 giveaways. In 18 games this year he has 5 takeaways and 4 giveaways. He's being extremely conservative both with and without the puck, which really isn't helping him or his linemates create any offense. I'm not super worried about his production, because I'm really not expecting much offense from Lindholm or Brown either, but he's playing very different hockey than he was last year. As you said, he will really need to get into the tough areas if he wants to create offense.

I've been disappointed in him this year, but I would like to see him get a chance with some better linemates/pp time later on this year. The skill and creativity is still there and it's nice that he's learning a responsible game, but we really do need to see more from him. I still think he's going to be a good player, he showed way too much last year for me to even think about writing him off. Hopefully when he gets his opportunity he runs with it like Kappy has.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Kappy was -6 with 10 points in his first 47 NHL games. Skated miles and produced nothing. Patience and the right opportunity helps a lot. AJ isn't where I expected him to be yet, but its still early in the season.

Reactions: smitty10

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think he's a complimentary role player at the NHL level with good offensive instincts. He plays a physical game and battles in the corners and in front of the net. He's the type of player who's point totals are very influenced by the level of player he plays with.

I would love to see him given an opportunity in the top 6 to see how he contributes.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
With Brown likely gone next year he'll take his spot

Johnsson Brown Lindy Goat Ennis Leivo are all in the same boat. I see them putting around doing stuff and not really making any magic happen. They're just dime a dozen players really and none of them have true grit. I will however give Brown credit for being good on the PK and credit to Leivo for being good along the wall. Ennis has some jump sometimes and Lindy and Johnsson feel like uninspired guys you could just throw on a 4th line and say whatever.

Basically we have to keep drafting and developing, start getting some special players like PRIME KOMAROV who could play C and hit. Not enough character in our bottom 6, it's a problem.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
He's looked better of late but he really needs a chance in a more offensive role rather than in a checking role.

I think he's a complimentary role player at the NHL level with good offensive instincts. He plays a physical game and battles in the corners and in front of the net. He's the type of player who's point totals are very influenced by the level of player he plays with.

I would love to see him given an opportunity in the top 6 to see how he contributes.

That's the great thing about him being a LW on our team. If we had Matthews and Nylander back then he'll get to play on a line with offensive players. Him being a LW probably ensures that he'll never fall too far down the depth chart. A 3rd line of Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen would probably make him a 40-point player as soon as next season.

Reactions: smitty10

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
When I was watching him last year he looked like a fearless player. He was diving headfirst into pileups to try and poke pucks in and spent all kinds of time in the dirty areas. This year we are barely seeing any of that and he seems to be focusing on making really safe plays all the time. With a quick look at his stats, in his 9 games as a rookie he had 4 takeaways and 5 giveaways. In 18 games this year he has 5 takeaways and 4 giveaways. He's being extremely conservative both with and without the puck, which really isn't helping him or his linemates create any offense. I'm not super worried about his production, because I'm really not expecting much offense from Lindholm or Brown either, but he's playing very different hockey than he was last year. As you said, he will really need to get into the tough areas if he wants to create offense.

I've been disappointed in him this year, but I would like to see him get a chance with some better linemates/pp time later on this year. The skill and creativity is still there and it's nice that he's learning a responsible game, but we really do need to see more from him. I still think he's going to be a good player, he showed way too much last year for me to even think about writing him off. Hopefully when he gets his opportunity he runs with it like Kappy has.
In a puck race that is going to be close he is second to the pucks same as last year. This year he is picking his spots even more. Attacks the outside of the ice and not the middle. He has good puck skills but needs to play with a lot more jam.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I think he thought he was worth more than another 1 year deal.
Last year he played with jam got his nose dirty to score some goals.

I think he thought he deserved a deal like brown and Hyman got something like 3 years 2.5 or something like that. Instead we gave him 975k on a year contract. I think that got his nose out of joint.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s been a bit of a disappointment, but think this is more of him underperforming rather than not having the ability.

Best case scenario is he opts to sign another 1 year cheap contract and then pulls things together by the end of the this season.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He's looked better of late but he really needs a chance in a more offensive role rather than in a checking role.
This,unfortunately is the answer for most young players who are geared to offense. No room at the top!. He will need to progress and look for his opportunity to shine. Kappa is a very good example for new players who don't start out on the top 6. Pretty sure he would be considerably better than Hyman with JT and Marner,but gotta pay your dues on a Babs team...unless your Hyman,he hasn't had to work his way up and he has the least amount of talent in the league as a top 6 player.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think he's a complimentary role player at the NHL level with good offensive instincts. He plays a physical game and battles in the corners and in front of the net. He's the type of player who's point totals are very influenced by the level of player he plays with..
Are you sure you're in the right thread? Kapanen maybe? Johnsson is soft as swiss cheese.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Just like that! Great finish to get on the scoreboard.

EDIT: Oh wow, he's on fire! Great jinx thread :DD

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Apparently you just have to choke slam Johnsson to the ice to get him going.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
There is no stopping him tonight. Some fantastic aggressive play. He is being rewarded. AJ could be elite actually.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Where the haters? They put a skilled guy with fourth liners and expected him to produce. Even Kappy didn't break out till he was put with skilled players like Kadri and Matthews. Imagine if he was playing with someone who could make plays.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
In a puck race that is going to be close he is second to the pucks same as last year. This year he is picking his spots even more. Attacks the outside of the ice and not the middle. He has good puck skills but needs to play with a lot more jam.

I think he read your post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad