Andreas Johnsson : What do you think ? any thoughts ?

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Isn't Kadri =/> than Simmonds/Kesler?
If someone takes a run at Marner, Nylander or Matthews does Kadri protect them? I would think Simmons and kesler would and used them as examples as they are in the top 6.. as an offensive player I think Kadri is at least =. This is my beef with JVR, built like a PWF but rarely hits. This is why playoff hockey is mix of skill and grit, just ask the caps.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If someone takes a run at Marner, Nylander or Matthews does Kadri protect them? I would think Simmons and kesler would and used them as examples as they are in the top 6.. as an offensive player I think Kadri is at least =. This is my beef with JVR, built like a PWF but rarely hits. This is why playoff hockey is mix of skill and grit, just ask the caps.

It's not even about hitting - JvR rarely ever uses his size, like, at all.

Even in the corners or in front of the net, you never see him engage physically by pushing people out of the way or being an utter pain in the backside. For someone that "big", he plays a pretty soft game.

I've said since his second season here - for someone who has his combination of skill, skating ability, and size, he could be an elite player in this league, but he's soft and often lazy without the puck.

It's why the Leafs made the decision last summer to move on from him this summer.

Reactions: unitedstars87

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My first thought was who's A.J.?

Now that I know, I like him. Looked good Saturday.
My seats are about as far away from where he scored and I could still easily see that big smile.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Bumping this thread as I'm really curious about this guy. Stat-boxing watching is never great but 3 points in 18 games seems a long way from PPG in the AHL. Is he just learning the NHL game or buried in usage or what? Where do we seem him in the future?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Bumping this thread as I'm really curious about this guy. Stat-boxing watching is never great but 3 points in 18 games seems a long way from PPG in the AHL. Is he just learning the NHL game or buried in usage or what? Where do we seem him in the future?
it's scary how he's looked nothing like the player he was last year. Poster's wanting to give Nylander 8 years take note...........

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What similarity do he and Nylander have?
not the player, the contract. I should of used another example, like Zat's. Zat's looked like he was the real deal, but hasn't come close to being the player he was in his 1st year. Long term contracts can bite you if your not careful.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think he is struggling obviously... but some games you see the talent. I think he's having a hard time adjusting.

He's capable of being pretty good but I don't know about him driving his own line. I hope I'm wrong.

Another 20 games or so and it'll be half the season... then I think it'll be clearer by then who he is.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Looks better on the back 9 than the front 9.

Classic second year player adjusting to the NHL.

RLF

May 5, 2014

He has speed to burn, but is looking a little limited in his vision. Not afraid to go to the dirty areas for chances, but he could be a guy that is only effective offensively with better than him players around him. At 24, he is likely what he is, but too early to tell his effectiveness in the NHL unless we see different forms of usage from him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not a big fan. I think he needs to get with it if he wants to sticks.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I like his effort of late, good hustle and spark. That said, we need to see some more production now.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Let's be a little more patient with him. Remember that Kaps was in the same boat - it took him several years between the the AHL and the bigs before he came into his own this year.

Not everyone can tear up the league in their first pro year - except AM :nod:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Let's be a little more patient with him. Remember that Kaps was in the same boat - it took him several years between the the AHL and the bigs before he came into his own this year.

Not everyone can tear up the league in their first pro year - except AM :nod:
good point.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Like I said last year when everyone was predicting he was a star in the making. He needs to be less fearful. He plays afraid and he shows when he plays a little harder he can compete but a consistent dedication to playing a tougher brand of hockey will hold him in good stead.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I had high hopes for him. He's getting knocked off the puck too easy and he loses every puck battle. He skates very well but he has to get the puck and keep it. It's never on his stick very long.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Like I said last year when everyone was predicting he was a star in the making. He needs to be less fearful. He plays afraid and he shows when he plays a little harder he can compete but a consistent dedication to playing a tougher brand of hockey will hold him in good stead.
all part of the learning curve, sometimes I forget he's still a kid.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Wow, a guy getting 4th line minutes must score 30 goals. He has more goals than Kapanen did on 4th line, what exactly do you expect. Babcock likes to re align guys before they are given the minutes. Learn the game first....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->