Andreas Johnsson : What do you think ? any thoughts ?

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Fantastic first game for the 2014 SEL rookie of the year.

Let’s hope this bodes well for our 2017 SEL rookie of the year.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I absolutely love watching him play. It's been exciting watching him progress over the last few years, from a 7th round pick I'd never heard of to an SHL stud, to a star in the AHL, to a good looking player in the NHL. It's going to be tough for him to crack the Leafs lineup come playoff time, especially if we're healthy. As centers Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, and Plekanec are safely in the lineup obviously. He's not going to take Hyman, Nylander, Marner, Marleau, Brown, or JvR out of the lineup, and Komarov is too important as a penalty killer to scratch in favour of Johnsson. And Kapanen has looked just as good as Johnsson has, both in the AHL and in the NHL, and lately has really started to come into his own as an offensive threat in the NHL. So, unless Komarov stays out for the playoffs, I don't see him staying in the lineup. The question is whether or not we keep him on the roster...if Babcock really likes what he sees, he might be our first choice to come up in case of an injury, over the likes of Leivo, Martin, and Moore. However, he's the Marlies best forward, and they'll need him if they're going to make a shot at the Calder Cup imo...so do the Leafs send him down for the AHL playoffs, and trust veterans Martin and Moore as options to draw in? Hard to say.

Either way, he's definitely going to be an impact player for the Leafs next season imo. With JvR likely gone, and Komarov, Moore, Bozak, and Plekanec possibly/likely leaving, there will definitely be ample space for him in the lineup. Excited to see what he does with that opportunity. Really great instincts, great skater. Fits well with the team!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
200.gif

Reactions: mavis

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
He certainly played a solid two way game , with lots of exuberance , jump , tenacity skill and speed !
No doubt about it!
Now can he translate that and into a solid NHLer with all the outside interfence and overall grind of the best league in the world ? I don’t know ! I think he can judging by his body of work thus far from a youngster , through junior and Swedish league and three years of the AHL . I guess we will see .
I really hope he stays though as he adds another layer of speed to our already dynamic offensive prowess .
Great game by him
Also great game by everyone !
Loved Dermotts game wow he’s sharp all over the ice !
He’s 1-2 with Reilly !!!!
Not so much love for Gardiner again.

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
Goooo LEAFS Goooooo!

Last edited by a moderator:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Here's how you say something negative about a 7 SOG performance with a goal and constant buzzing around the offensive zone all night: "We already knew he was good against AHLers."

What I really like: he looks he can do something fairly similar to what Kapanen is currently doing on the 4th line which means he theoretically could play in a healthy lineup.

BTW, Jim Hughson, if you did any research on Johnsson you'd know that he was 7th rounder due to a battle with chronic asthma that sapped him of energy as a teenaged hockey player.

Reactions: taurine330

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Really good effort from him tonight and it’s nice to see how much he is enjoying the chance although likely short term for this season. Congrats to him on his first goal. I expect him to be a solid contributor next season for the Leafs.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Wow kids unreal

He was all over the ice. He loves to play. Kid was smiling all night. Tearing up the AHL.

He’s an nhler and a good one

Find a spot for him

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Here's how you say something negative about a 7 SOG performance with a goal and constant buzzing around the offensive zone all night: "We already knew he was good against AHLers."

What I really like: he looks he can do something fairly similar to what Kapanen is currently doing on the 4th line which means he theoretically could play in a healthy lineup.

BTW, Jim Hughson, if you did any research on Johnsson you'd know that he was 7th rounder due to a battle with chronic asthma that sapped him of energy as a teenaged hockey player.

4th line isn't bad to get a taste this year, with a lot of guys likely departing, I feel good about him joining the team. Should have his ups and downs like any other rookie but he should stick. His game seems transferrable. Our own version of Arvidsson.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Seems to have better scoring instincts than Kapanen. Shifty, gets to the prime spots, is always shot-ready. Even that bouncing puck that popped loose, he was able to get generate a chance off of it.

Good skating and edges too, competes hard. His size doesn't seem to be an issue at all. He plays the brand of hockey I love for guys filling out the rest the roster. Has skill, speed, can chip in, strong 2-way game and can play at a pace that is contagious...doesn't kill or deter momentum. In a game that is heavily predicated on momentum and pace, he has a lot of upside as a long-term piece.

Reactions: Jeypic

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
The lineup with a primary focus on skill, 2 1st lines & 2 2nd lines:

Leivo-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Hyman
JVR-Bozak-Brown

Btw. This game shows why people believed he and Kapanen could close the gap between JVR enough for it to be worth it. And yes I'm taking advantage of a tiny sample size :D

Reactions: 2legit2quit

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I absolutely love watching him play. It's been exciting watching him progress over the last few years, from a 7th round pick I'd never heard of to an SHL stud, to a star in the AHL, to a good looking player in the NHL. It's going to be tough for him to crack the Leafs lineup come playoff time, especially if we're healthy. As centers Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, and Plekanec are safely in the lineup obviously. He's not going to take Hyman, Nylander, Marner, Marleau, Brown, or JvR out of the lineup, and Komarov is too important as a penalty killer to scratch in favour of Johnsson. And Kapanen has looked just as good as Johnsson has, both in the AHL and in the NHL, and lately has really started to come into his own as an offensive threat in the NHL. So, unless Komarov stays out for the playoffs, I don't see him staying in the lineup. The question is whether or not we keep him on the roster...if Babcock really likes what he sees, he might be our first choice to come up in case of an injury, over the likes of Leivo, Martin, and Moore. However, he's the Marlies best forward, and they'll need him if they're going to make a shot at the Calder Cup imo...so do the Leafs send him down for the AHL playoffs, and trust veterans Martin and Moore as options to draw in? Hard to say.

Either way, he's definitely going to be an impact player for the Leafs next season imo. With JvR likely gone, and Komarov, Moore, Bozak, and Plekanec possibly/likely leaving, there will definitely be ample space for him in the lineup. Excited to see what he does with that opportunity. Really great instincts, great skater. Fits well with the team!

What?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->