Confirmed with Link: Anderson re-signed (3 yrs, $4.2 AAV)

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Goalies are not like the other positions. They typically get better the older they get because they understand the game better. They do not break down like the skaters do.

I know that the ice pick incident was a 'freak' thing, but this is Andy since we signed him:

2014/03/24
Missed 5 games (upper body injury).

2014/03/15
Upper body injury, day-to-day.

2014/03/02
Missed 1 game (personal reasons).

2014/02/27
Personal reasons, injured reserve.

2013/11/09
Missed 2 games (head injury).

2013/11/05
Head injury, day-to-day.

2013/04/05
Missed 18 games (sprained right ankle).

2013/03/05
Sprained right ankle, injured reserve.

2013/02/23
Sprained right ankle, day-to-day.

2012/03/23
Missed 12 games (finger injury).

2012/02/25
Finger injury, injured reserve.

He is not Pascal Leclaire, but nor can he be called durable.

SensRus

May 11, 2007
What If?

I'm almost positive that if Anderson would have signed before Lehner, things would have played out differently.

After Lehner signed his extension, he said all the right things (politically correctness) that he would welcome an Anderson Extension, but deep down, I feel he wants to play, and play a lot.

I would bet the farm that he wouldn't have signed if Anderson would have been signed first.

These 3 year extensions for both goalies kind of doesn't make any sense to me.....one cancels out the other...it sets up another goalie controversy....did we forget last year already, Lehner was on a streak, but McLean put Andy back in because he was our "number one" according to the coach.

Will we not be going through the exact same thing in a few years once both their contracts are up at the same time....I'm thinking by the time Lehner's contract is up..he will be disgruntled, and will not want to play here....and Andy will possibly be at the end of his career....so we end up back to square one....with no Lehner, (our supposed future goalie) or Anderson!

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I know that the ice pick incident was a 'freak' thing, but this is Andy since we signed him:

2014/03/24

2014/03/15

2014/03/02

2014/02/27

2013/11/09

2013/11/05
Head injury, day-to-day.

2013/04/05

2013/03/05

2013/02/23

2012/03/23

2012/02/25

That list looks far worse than it is. He's missed 38 games over the span of about 3.5 seasons, or roughly 10 games a season. And the chicken slicing injury was the flukiest thing this side of Penner's Pancakes or Sakic's Snowblower.

SensRus

May 11, 2007
well Andy has his contract, and if Lehner supplants himself as the #1 goalie, Anderson can be shipped out.

I thought of that as soon as I heard the signing...makes sense to lock him up....for a possible future trade....as long as it's not a NTC?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The price of the back-up is only a concern if the hinders the team from paying a legit starter. If Lehner is our starter, he's still only making $2.5 million. COMBINED, the two of them make just a million more than Ben Bishop.

This is good to point out.

There are always backups floating around UFA for $1-$2M, if the succession plan for lehner is clear, why not sign Andy for 2 years, then go get a $2M backup to play behind Robin.

I would have preferred $5M for 2 years over $4.2 for 4. Clearly term was important for a 34 year old goalie in these negotiations, but it will be idiotic when he is 38 and costing us $4.2M in cap room riding the pine.

That is an obvious pitfall of this deal.

Because we're totally gonna be a cap team in a few years......

It contains an effective NTC, namely the fact that Andy will be 37 and will have a $4.2M AAV. That should prevent him from being moved.

Sure it's a little high for what you might want to be paying in 3 years, but goalies aren't elite snipers whose abilites decline after they hit 30. Lots of goalies hang around until their late 30's.

The only argument I think people who don't like this signing can make is the classic "OMG it takes away potential money we could use to sign Ryan!". And frankly it's getting a little tiresome.

Lehner is 23. Make him work for it. When he proves he can handle the workload and maintain elite play, then we can think about moving Andy, who hopefully hasn't declined to Raycroft levels by then. It'll be fine.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

2014/03/24

2014/03/15

2014/03/02

2014/02/27

2013/11/09

2013/11/05
Head injury, day-to-day.

2013/04/05

2013/03/05

2013/02/23

2012/03/23

2012/02/25

Sure, just double every injury on the list to make it look bigger :laugh: Obviously you're just copy-pasting but it's still funny.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Great that we should have two capable goalies on the team.

I can't comprehend why people wouldn't like this deal. All of the reasons I've heard so far are terrible.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
Great that we should have two capable goalies on the team.

I can't comprehend why people wouldn't like this deal. All of the reasons I've heard so far are terrible.

Toronto is smart for having 2 capable goalies. Ottawa is stupid for doing the same thing.

Mirtle is talking about Bernier getting around 6 million next year. Now compare that to what the Sens have negotiated for Lehner + Anderson!

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Toronto is smart for having 2 capable goalies. Ottawa is stupid for doing the same thing.

Mirtle is talking about Bernier getting around 6 million next year. Now compare that to what the Sens have negotiated for Lehner + Anderson!

Both those guys are 26 years old though.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Calling Anderson a back up is stupid. He's shown no signs of being one.

He's been the starter for Ottawa for years, and still is. There are NO signs that he will become a back up goalie any time soon. Both Lehner and Anderson had issues last year, most of which likely wasn't helped by how the team was handling things in front of them. Anderson was very solid down the stretch to end the season.

I brought up in past Anderson or Lehner threads (I forget which one because they all break down into the same Lehner VS Anderson argument) that Hiller, who is arguably not as good as Anderson both statistically, and through watching them play got 4.5m over 2 years on the open market. 4.2 over three years for Anderson is market value.

If Anderson becomes a back up it would only be a consequence of Lehner becoming a star faster than he's projected to. In which case, Anderson could be traded. Either way, Ottawa still is paying around the same as most teams pay for their goalies due to the fact that Lehner's salary is so low, and Anderson isn't being paid like a star.

My guess? By the final year, Lehner is the franchise goalie. For almost the entire contract Anderson is either the starter, or splits starts. Anderson either retires, or signs an extension to remain the back up goalie at the end of his contract when he is reaching those Tim Thomas old man years.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Posters on the main board can't give us a break. Say owner isn't committed. Spends boatload of money signing Mac at a fair deal. claim he is a 3rd liner and we need to get to the cap floor. Sign Andy for a reasonable deal giving him a healthy raise. Claim overpayment and have spent all the money that was left to resign Ryan.

Oct 10, 2010
Posters on the main board can't give us a break. Say owner isn't committed. Spends boatload of money signing Mac at a fair deal. claim he is a 3rd liner and we need to get to the cap floor. Sign Andy for a reasonable deal giving him a healthy raise. Claim overpayment and have spent all the money that was left to resign Ryan.

The recent signings aren't enough to say our owner is ' truly committed'

Though, it's nice to see him spend even a little money.

And the guys saying Mac is a 3rd liner are just foolish Leaf fans.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
People also need to keep in mind that right now, we have no one that is near NHL ready on the farm.

Hammond - Dreiger are years away, if that, from being a reliable NHL-level tender. First injury this year and you have a rookie in net.

More like at the first sign of injury, Ottawa is forced to give up a top prospect, or our 1st rounder in 2015, or a good roster player to bring in a temporary netminder.....if Lehner was the starter and Andy was traded away (instead of having this contract).

Imagine someone taking out Lehner and we end up giving away McDavid to bring in a fill-in goalie for a few months....

Having both Lehner and Andy on good contracts for the next few years is definitely, absolutely, positively, completely the best option.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Its hilarious.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That list looks far worse than it is. He's missed 38 games over the span of about 3.5 seasons, or roughly 10 games a season. And the chicken slicing injury was the flukiest thing this side of Penner's Pancakes or Sakic's Snowblower.

No to mention anyone would have been out for extended time the way Krieder crashed into him.

That's 30 of his 38 missed games listed right there with the chicken accident and the serial goalie runner.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Honestly which tandem would you rather have based completely on playing ability, Anderson/Lehner or Bernier/Reimer?

Maybe this should be a poll on the main board? ;)

You know everyone will say the leafs duo. The sens are bottom feeders who can't afford a goalie like James reimer :sarcasm:

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
I'm almost positive that if Anderson would have signed before Lehner, things would have played out differently.

After Lehner signed his extension, he said all the right things (politically correctness) that he would welcome an Anderson Extension, but deep down, I feel he wants to play, and play a lot.

I would bet the farm that he wouldn't have signed if Anderson would have been signed first.

These 3 year extensions for both goalies kind of doesn't make any sense to me.....one cancels out the other...it sets up another goalie controversy....did we forget last year already, Lehner was on a streak, but McLean put Andy back in because he was our "number one" according to the coach.

Will we not be going through the exact same thing in a few years once both their contracts are up at the same time....I'm thinking by the time Lehner's contract is up..he will be disgruntled, and will not want to play here....and Andy will possibly be at the end of his career....so we end up back to square one....with no Lehner, (our supposed future goalie) or Anderson!

That's why they talked to Lehner first? My question is were they open with Lehner in regards to their plans for Anderson?

I agree, or should I say have concerns, about your other points in Coaching and what Lehner really thinks.

Mentions of the relationship between the two of them in this thread ... anyone have anything to support the theory? Followed from afar for about 3 years and I don't remember that being a point of an article etc. (Like Lehner enjoying being mentored by Andy)

Disclaimer - My views are definitely biased towards Lehner as I own him in my 30 team keeper league that values starters huge (along with Turris, Stone, Hoffman and Silfverberg:pout:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad