Confirmed with Link: Anderson re-signed (3 yrs, $4.2 AAV)

Karlsson2Turris*

Good signing. When he is on he is a top-5 goalie in the league. And when he's off, we have Lehner to cover up for him :)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Exactly. It's all good in my books. Maybe it changes this year but Lehner's too inconsistent.

"Too much term"? It's called a trade.

Lol, no kidding. First people crapped all over any decent return in a Spezza trade because of a 1-year term, now they crap on this deal that's a "whopping" 3 years. Unbelievable. :laugh:

This is definitely a great day.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I'm happy with the signing because it means we don't have to put all our eggs in Lehner's basket. 6m for the duo is appropriate and they'll be going in opposite directions and Lehner will take over when truly ready.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As an unapologetic drinker of the Lehner KoolAid, I was in favour of just letting Anderson walk at the end of the season. This contract, though, does make him a controlled asset, which means that we can trade him for something tangible in return. I suppose that is preferable to losing him for nothing as a UFA. Now we need him to bounce back, because if he tanks again we are going to be stuck eating this contract in the form of a buyout...

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
As an unapologetic drinker of the Lehner KoolAid, I was in favour of just letting Anderson walk at the end of the season. This contract, though, does make him a controlled asset, which means that we can trade him for something tangible in return. I suppose that is preferable to losing him for nothing as a UFA. Now we need him to bounce back, because if he tanks again we are going to be stuck eating this contract in the form of a buyout...

I like this post, Im in agreement here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- forces Lehner to fight for the #1 job & it won't be given to him.
- even should Lehner beat out Anderson for the #1 job, it leaves Ottawa with an experienced veteran mentor to help lehner along & to sub-in for him when he gets into a slump.
- good move since Ottawa does not have a decent backup goalie in their system that is NHL ready.
- both goalie contracts are easily moveable should they decide to move one of the two goalies.
- Ottawa should now have solid consistent goaltending & stability in net going forward.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I'm still not sold on Anderson given his inconsistency, but it's not like there's anything coming down the pipe for a few years. He's still a decent NHL goalie though, and it's better to have 2 decent pros than it is to have one inexperienced goalie and nothing else.

So I was a little surprised but see it as good logic. It also diminishes the "no one wants to play here" and "Ottawa won't spend" gibberish. This team is not a contender right now, spending to the cap this year only makes things worse. Good planning.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Awesome. We got the goaltending depth down for the next 4 years. Anderson-Lehner is a great duo.

A great duo?

We had these two last year. 27th in goals against, 20th in save percentage.

You can make all sorts of arguments for D play, improvements, etc, but right now that is hardly a "great duo".

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
A great duo?

You can make all sorts of arguments for D play, improvements, etc, but right now that is hardly a "great duo".

So you're just going to ignore the previous two seasons before that huh? Especially the year before when that duo (with Bishop) was almost first in every category.

Cool beans.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
A great duo?

And the year before that? what were they?
Bad season last year, does not mean they are terrible, but they have shown they can be great when on their game.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Craig Anderson 7+ years with Ottawa (from 2010-11 to 2017-18), average cap hit of 3 621 429$ per season. That is quite cheap for solid goaltending, so far with the Sens :

81-52-17, 0.920 SV % in regular season
8-8, 0.926 SV % in playoffs

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/a/andercr01.html

I like the fact that we are not letting our assets go away to UFA for nothing (Spezza, MacArthur, Anderson...). People should be happy, Melnyk is spending

Jesus, after Alfredsson and Spezza this organization is giving up term and money.

Not that I seriously dislike anything they've done. It's a fair deal and Anderson has some security.

You mean 3 years is considered "term"?

I dont like it at all, but Im much higher on Lehner then most I guess. Would of been fine with letting him walk after this season and signing a veteran back up in the off-season.

Lehner will be better then Anderson by then end of this season. You can quote me on that.

I'm one of the biggest Lehner fans and I don't mind this at all, I actually think it's good for him. Lehner has to steal the #1 job from a good goalie. Would you prefer we hand it to him like we did in Bingo?

Also: this just leaves Ryan & Methot, right?

Get 'er done, Murray (& Dorion).

Erik Condra?! :sarcasm:

Now that would be a signing that I wouldn't be thrilled... He's a quality 4th liner, but there's also a limited number of spots on a team, and we need his for auditions.

Is there a no movement clause attached? Hope not. I like the signing, but I'm not a fan of the NMC. Handcuffs the GM.

Same, it makes sense for some other contracts but not for Andy as we might have to move him down the road. It depends of the context.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
I like this deal. Andy is a proven starter and Lehner will be one very soon. This deal gives us quality goaltending for 6.5M/year with the cap going up. Good stuff.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Lots of cranky Habs and Leaf fans on the main boards the past few days. Must mean the Sens are doing something right. :laugh: :handclap: :nod:

They're still having nightmarish visions of Andy in the 2013 playoffs? :yo: Let's surpass everyone's expectations again this season!

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
So Anderson will be around for another four years. I think the extension is at least a year too long, and the team could find itself in a similar situation as with Phillips, Greening, etc. Anderson is a good goaltender, but he has yet to play a full season at a high level (Note full). And if the plan is for Anderson to be the backup in a year or two, then the team significantly overpaid for a #2 goaltender. If the purpose is to have Anderson as the #1 for the next couple of years, then it begs the question what is Lehner's future with the team.

It's a curious move by the team IMO.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
So Anderson will be around for another four years. I think the extension is at least a year too long, and the team could find itself in a similar situation as with Phillips, Greening, etc. Anderson is a good goaltender, but he has yet to play a full season at a high level (Note full). And if the plan is for Anderson to be the backup in a year or two, then the team significantly overpaid for a #2 goaltender. If the purpose is to have Anderson as the #1 for the next couple of years, then it begs the question what is Lehner's future with the team.

As long as there is not a NMC he can be traded and the rate is not bad at all with a rising Cap.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Keep in mind that the cap will be rising by at least 10% in 2015-16. It's at $69 million this year, and most observers think it is a lock that it will go to $75 million or so for 2015-16. Therefore, these contracts have to be viewed not by past salary numbers, but rather where they will be in two to three years time...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Keep in mind that the cap will be rising by at least 10% in 2015-16. It's at $69 million this year, and most observers think it is a lock that it will go to $75 million or so for 2015-16. Therefore, these contracts have to be viewed not by past salary numbers, but rather where they will be in two to three years time...

Exactly. I think this is the holdup with Methot.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Lehner is 23. He's still a baby in the goaltending world.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I'm not unhappy with the deal, but a 4.2M AAV for a backup in the outside year or two will be bad. Hard to imagine him being traded at that hit either. I predict a buyout in the final year.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'm not unhappy with the deal, but a 4.2M AAV for a backup in the outside year or two will be bad. Hard to imagine him being traded at that hit either. I predict a buyout in the final year.

The price of the back-up is only a concern if the hinders the team from paying a legit starter. If Lehner is our starter, he's still only making $2.5 million. COMBINED, the two of them make just a million more than Ben Bishop.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Ken Warren ‏@Citizenkwarren 5m
Craig Anderson contract DOES NOT include any kind of no trade clause....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad