Confirmed with Link: Anderson re-signed (3 yrs, $4.2 AAV)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
....lets see what the rest of the goombas on the main boards have to say

lol, oh that is not going to end well. Laffers will never admit we have anything better. They'll probably have a colossal meltdown on the boards and huge crying fit. Then again, the mods on the main boards are making a point of deleting any posts that are negative in any way to that team (while leaving the anti-Sens posts up....big surprise).

The Fuhr*

Saying that taking a $4.2M cap hit for a 37 year old goalie in few years is not a good thing is entirely different from my views of Andy's abilities today.

His cap hit is meaningless unless Ottawa becomes a cap team

The final year on the deal he makes 3.1 ... That's not overpaid to me

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
You know everyone will say the leafs duo. The sens are bottom feeders who can't afford a goalie like James reimer :sarcasm:

Its up on the main now. So far only an Oilers fan has responded by choosing the Leafs.

Im happy with the signing and spending 6.5 M for two capable goalies is worth it. When your star goalie inevitably succumbs to injury you begin to wish your back up goalie could carry you. Look no further than Tampa last year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The only thing I'm a bit surprised about this is that the Sens aren't going to try to save money on the goalie duo in the next 4 years. They could have let Andy walk and try to sign a back-up for 1 million.

A great duo?

We had these two last year. 27th in goals against, 20th in save percentage.
You can make all sorts of arguments for D play, improvements, etc, but right now that is hardly a "great duo".

Ok and the year prior?

Going to repeat (need to do that a lot on HF before people start to know the facts)

Andy's career with Sens : 0.920% in regular season and 0.926 SV% in the playoffs.

Lehner has a career SV % of 0.918

So Anderson will be around for another four years. I think the extension is at least a year too long, and the team could find itself in a similar situation as with Phillips, Greening, etc. Anderson is a good goaltender, but he has yet to play a full season at a high level (Note full). And if the plan is for Anderson to be the backup in a year or two, then the team significantly overpaid for a #2 goaltender. If the purpose is to have Anderson as the #1 for the next couple of years, then it begs the question what is Lehner's future with the team.

It's a curious move by the team IMO.

lol what the hell? Goalies don't play 82 games. Or if by "high level" you mean a ~0.930 SV% for 65 games+, you're dreaming

Only a handful of goalies can do that (Rask, Rinne, Lundqvist...)

Finally, Anderson has perfect vision (eyes is basically for the most important tool for a goalie) and is athletic, he will still be good for the duration of his contract and will have trade value. When Lehner becomes a top NHL goalie and that one of Hogberg/Driedger show thy are NHL ready, we'll probably trade Craig Anderson and get an asset or two. This guy has a career 0.915 SV% in the NHL and never played for contending/strong defensive teams (except 24 games in 2012-13). He's a good goalie and NHLers/GMs know it.

There are always backups floating around UFA for $1-$2M, if the succession plan for lehner is clear, why not sign Andy for 2 years, then go get a $2M backup to play behind Robin.

I would have preferred $5M for 2 years over $4.2 for 4. Clearly term was important for a 34 year old goalie in these negotiations, but it will be idiotic when he is 38 and costing us $4.2M in cap room riding the pine.

That is an obvious pitfall of this deal.

Ok but I dunno where you got that 34... Anderson just turned 33 years old, he will be 37 y/o at the end of his contract.

^ since there is no NMC I am indifferent. A great big meh. The cap hit is a little high for a backup though I hope this doesnt puch Lehner into playing 2fiddle

Anderson is going into his 6th straight season as a N.1 NHL goaltender.

Will we not be going through the exact same thing in a few years once both their contracts are up at the same time....I'm thinking by the time Lehner's contract is up..he will be disgruntled, and will not want to play here....and Andy will possibly be at the end of his career....so we end up back to square one....with no Lehner, (our supposed future goalie) or Anderson!

Not all NHL players are princesses. Disgruntled players are the exception, not the rule

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I hate the fact that my initial response to what should be considered a good contract is "I hope we still have money left for ..."

Internal budget aside, very good signing. Hockey perspective, good signing. I just hope we don't end up with a lopsided allocation of our "internal cap" to the the goaltending position. But, Eug is spending so I should just shut up and be happy.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I know that the ice pick incident was a 'freak' thing, but this is Andy since we signed him:

2014/03/24
Missed 5 games (upper body injury).

2014/03/15
Upper body injury, day-to-day.

2014/03/02
Missed 1 game (personal reasons).

2014/02/27
Personal reasons, injured reserve.

2013/11/09
Missed 2 games (head injury).

2013/11/05
Head injury, day-to-day.

2013/04/05
Missed 18 games (sprained right ankle).

2013/03/05
Sprained right ankle, injured reserve.

2013/02/23
Sprained right ankle, day-to-day.

2012/03/23
Missed 12 games (finger injury).

2012/02/25
Finger injury, injured reserve.

He is not Pascal Leclaire, but nor can he be called durable.

Luckily we have Lehner. How can anyone complain about potentially having two guys we can rely on?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Less than $7 million per year to secure our goaltending for the next 3 years. Home run for the Sens. Now we don't have to worry if one of these guys had left what we do in the case of an injury to the starter. And to those saying sign a backup, way easier said than done. Anderson and lehner have competent track records in Ottawa. No need to test the waters on a far less talented guy and hope that he gives you average performance. You get what you pay for. If you get a guy for a million, expect his performance to be near the bottom of the barrel.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Awesome. We got the goaltending depth down for the next 4 years. Anderson-Lehner is a great duo.

Right on! I am pleased that Anderson is signed for an additional 3 years. This provides a 4 year time frame for Lehner to develop and take over the #1 role. The first two years seem a little high, but it's not my money, so i am ok with it. :)

So, the annual salaries for Senator goaltenders breaks out as follows compared to the current cap of $6.9m for 2 players which is 10% of the current salary cap, plus the CAP rising at 5% annually:

Goaltender. 14-15. 15-16. 16-17. 17-18
Anderson. 3.5. 4.75. 4.75. 3.1
Lehner. 1.5. 2.025. 3.15. RFA
TOTAL. 5.0. 6.775. 7.90. 3.1+
CAP x 1.05. 6.9. 7.245. 7.6. 7.99

Based on this, it appears the Senators are moving towards spending at the CAP, at least for the goaltenders!

Next up: Methot, and then Ryan.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Great signing for the team, I love a competitive crease! Lehner was simply not ready, this is good asset management. Anderson is a leader in the room and it shows that they are committed to winning.

The main board is out to lunch but its always the same fans hating on everything the sens do leafs, habs and flyers.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Posters on the main board can't give us a break. Say owner isn't committed. Spends boatload of money signing Mac at a fair deal. claim he is a 3rd liner and we need to get to the cap floor. Sign Andy for a reasonable deal giving him a healthy raise. Claim overpayment and have spent all the money that was left to resign Ryan.

I don't give a s...... about what posters on the main board say! Many of them just like to pull Senators' fans chains!

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Asset management.

If Lehner takes the job, we can trade Anderson for at least a 2nd rd pick.
If Lehner falters, we have Andy for the foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad