Injury Report: Andersen Injured - Out 3-4 Weeks

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
en masse it was in 98, allowing teams to also represent their countries at all world championships as well. those years were the Summit Series and previous Canada cups/world cups if i recognize my dates properly. it wasn't an expected "your season is done - you should go." or. "we must send them to the Olympics." as it is now. I think. If i'm wrong, then I stand corrected - but I am pretty sure that's when it started.

I see no difference between the 98-2014 Olympics and the 1976-96 Canada/World Cups and the only reason they stopped having the Canada/World cups is because of Olympic participation. None of the players are forced or "expected" to go, they wanted to go. Patrick Roy and Scott Niedermayer in 2002 and 2006 come to mind as players that decided not to go.

what i was arguing was that if they have to go (because they want to/enjoy it too) and your country calls you up and goes, come let's go. you should go. It doesn't change the fact that fundamentally i believe that the NHL players shouldn't be involved, or i'd like it if they'd stopped doing it. They aren't (as of now) so then work for what 'you want'. so to speak.

I just think the worlds happen way too frequently and right after a long season, which is why there are a lot of players that skip them. They are human beings with families and such.

and I never said I didn't enjoy it. But as a fan of the Leafs - it would seriously piss the ever loving hell out of me that a player got injured and couldn't help my team. that's my priority as a Maple Leafs fan.

I don't see the difference if a player gets hurt at an international event or while playing game 44 of the regular season for the Leafs. The result is the same.

as an IIHF fan, I know there are a countless ways to institute a best on best (because i personally believe that any competition that has it sets their own parameters for what that means. it doesn't change the fact that the tournament is enjoyable and for the most part entertaining). I would personally like a separation of church and state so to speak.

I think "best on best" is a pretty clearly defined, or at least the way I am using it. I mean a tournament where the teams can have their pick of all the players. A tournament where there aren't higher priority competitions going on at the same time.

I think there is an appetite among fans, players and the league to have international competition at the highest level. It's a matter of finding the best format to have that.

The World Championships overlap with the NHL playoffs and happen too frequently and The Olympics require the NHL to shut down for two weeks. So the Canada/World cup is the way to go IMO.

I don't think there is a perfect way to do it but a tournament once every 4 years that partly overlaps with NHL training camps will make it such that players want to go, the bulk of players are available, and causes little disruption to the NHL season. Training camps aren't really for the established stars any ways, they tend to coast through camp for the most part.

I just feel, if i were running the NHL, and there was no evidence of growth, injury to my players (impacting the financial gains of my product, not only for the team who suffered the injury but entertainment wise), extra financial risk (having to pay for extra incidental insurance). i would probably be where Bettman + Owners are now - NOT allowing it. obviously this is your milage will vary.

I agree thier stance on Olympic participation, but I do want to see international competition at the highest level. I hope the world cup is a success so we can continue to see it. I would prefer to see it without Team NA though. The 1996 and 2004 world cups come to mind as the best format and timing for this. Maybe being a soccer fan shows me that playing for club and country can work.

Assuming that there will be international play with NHLers, what format do you think would be the best?

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Who the **** is the guy that leveled him on the back check because I need to punch something right the **** now.

ForSpareParts*

Great news that the starting goalie we just signed long term is injured?

There is nothing at all great about this news. Nothing.

We have to start winning at some point and stable goaltending is vitally important for a yoing team.

Extra pickles on that drama sandwich?

Wow.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
cut.jpg

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I'm sure he'll be alright boys (and Daisy) ... Let's hope for the best and stay positive. Lots of time to recover.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
At the end of that video he's moving it around, carrying his goal stick. It's not like he left the ice hunched over supporting his arm.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
Hes flying back to toronto to get checked out but they expect him to be ready for the world cup. Doesnt sound overly bad

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
After closely reviewing the collision and with full knowledge that upper body injury probably means something in his "lower" body, I have confidently concluded that Anderson has suffered the worst of all EA sports injuries...a ruptured testicle. ;)

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
After closely reviewing the collision and with full knowledge that upper body injury probably means something in his "lower" body, I have confidently concluded that Anderson has suffered the worst of all EA sports injuries...a ruptured testicle. ;)

Don't know why but this reminded me of a time me and my buddy were playing a GM mode on MLB the show 07. While ago. We were 4 or 5 seasons into the career and we ended up drafting a catcher in the 1st round with a 98 potential. And he was 70 something overall right away. We put him straight into AAA. He ended up playing in his first game - got hit by a pitch in his first at bat - the injury was actually shown as a "broken skull" and he was out for the season. Retired that offseason at 21 yrs old lol. Played 1 AAA game hahah.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Don't know why but this reminded me of a time me and my buddy were playing a GM mode on MLB the show 07. While ago. We were 4 or 5 seasons into the career and we ended up drafting a catcher in the 1st round with a 98 potential. And he was 70 something overall right away. We put him straight into AAA. He ended up playing in his first game - got hit by a pitch in his first at bat - the injury was actually shown as a "broken skull" and he was out for the season. Retired that offseason at 21 yrs old lol. Played 1 AAA game hahah.

What a bust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad