Injury Report: Andersen Injured - Out 3-4 Weeks

Mr Hockey*

I am pretty sure the owners have ok'ed this tournament, I also see organizations management, is involved in this tournament also.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
It was a shoulder injury. Reports in Danish media says he will need one perhaps two weeks - then he will be ready to play again.

Hopefully the team at the world cup and later on the Maple Leafs will be better in front of him than the Danish team.

I dont recall to have seen so many give aways before, 3 vs 1 and 2 vs 1 rushes against. It was so freakin bad it was hilarious

And ofc it ends with one of the forwards injuring his own goalie.

so freakin bad

Yahoo Sports references Danish Ice Hockey Federation as the source.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/freder...pic-qualifer-for-denmark-video-201614317.html

According to the Danish Ice Hockey Federation, Andersen injured his shoulder and will be sidelined 1-2 weeks, putting his World Cup status for Team Europe up in the air.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Are the leafs on the hook for the medical bills and salary? Would seem crazy if it was on his own merit and he wasn't injured during his employment with the leafs.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Jeez, people are too funny. Always jumping to extremes.
Yeah, I think an injury to a team's #1 goalie is worth concern. How do you think the season unfolds if Andersen misses significant time and Enroth has to be the #1 for a good chunk? Not good.

Who cares if people flip out? Injuries do happen and sometimes they are pretty serious. Not caring if a player on your team gets hurt is the weird thing.

It's good that it doesn't sound overly serious. But if it was would you want people to make posts saying "Ha he's really hurt, concern was totally justified"?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, I think an injury to a team's #1 goalie is worth concern. How do you think the season unfolds if Andersen misses significant time and Enroth has to be the #1 for a good chunk? Not good.

Who cares if people flip out? Injuries do happen and sometimes they are pretty serious. Not caring if a player on your team gets hurt is the weird thing.

It's good that it doesn't sound overly serious. But if it was would you want people to make posts saying "Ha he's really hurt, concern was totally justified"?

But he's not going to miss significant time from this, all preliminary signs point to him starting the season. Nothing pointed to this being a serious injury.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Pretty strange if the NHL doesn't let it's players play in an NHL-sponsored tourney.

injuries happen .lets just hope we don't get all 8 of our guys hurt in the world cup .playing balls out in September can be devastating

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Anybody suggesting that international players should be discouraged from playing international tournaments should really give serious consideration to the ramifications.

The Leafs just drafted a fair amount of Russian prospects. Some people have been concerned with whether or not they would leave the KHL to come play for the Leafs in the NHL.

They are more likely to come and play if they are still able to play for their country in other tournaments. They may be less likely to come over if they know that they have to give up playing for their country completely.

If the NHL wants to dominate hockey internationally and attract international players, they have to allow those players to still represent their country in any international play.

It would be similiar to an American NHL team barring a Canadian from playing for Team Canada.

This is why I am not a fan of the NHL messing around with players who want to play in the Olympics. If you start trying to control these players by only allowing them to play NHL sponsored events, you may see some players choose to stay in an international league over the NHL.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
This is why I am not a fan of the NHL messing around with players who want to play in the Olympics. If you start trying to control these players by only allowing them to play NHL sponsored events, you may see some players choose to stay in an international league over the NHL.

I've been talking about this with my buds for a while now.

The KHL expansion into China could be so huge for the league.
Even 1% of china's population would be like another 15 million viewers / fans

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
I've been talking about this with my buds for a while now.

The KHL expansion into China could be so huge for the league.
Even 1% of china's population would be like another 15 million viewers / fans

I definitely see that as a concern.

I also find it crazy that while the NHL is expanding and still talking about adding another team, at the same time they are almost jeopardizing potential future talent. If you're expanding, you need to increase the talent. It would destroy the league if they lost talent and expanded, the level of play would suffer huge.

You'd be forced to bring back the goons just to ice complete teams.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
Yahoo Sports references Danish Ice Hockey Federation as the source.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/freder...pic-qualifer-for-denmark-video-201614317.html

That's a relief, but it does raise another valid question.

The article stated:
If we were to guess — considering Lou Lamoriello will have a say in Andersen’s World Cup status — we think one of Philipp Grubauer, Reto Berra, Peter Budaj or maybe Kristers Gudlevskis could be headed to Toronto as a replacement pretty soon.

If recovered should Anderson play in the World Cup?

I am not one that believes in discouraging a player from playing internationally.

However, with a possible health issue which if aggravated could affect part of the season - I do believe Lou Lam would be justified in discouraging Anderson's participation in this circumstance.

I almost believe that Anderson has a duty to excuse himself, not even leaving it up to Lou Lam or the Leafs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
they do. (not re: to tournaments like this), but you can't do something stupid to hurt yourself that prevents you from participating as a member of your club. who was that goalie for Minnesota who kicked/punched a wall (and a LOT of drinking was involved) and the Wild suspended him without pay?

I'm sorry but when you invest millions into someone and they in turn (as an organization) stand to get 50% of those millions back in revenue i think having some lines drawn in the sand is in order.

Players can do what they want when they want, they could jeopardize their contracts, but unless it is a career ender, what is the team going to do rip up a contract of a key player and let him walk to the competition?

Players could lose money, but if it is a top player, they'll make that back and every top player should have a retirement amount of money in the bank anyway.

It's hockey, a game, and the millions invested by teams is just money not lives. For the most part the players have invested years of their human lives to become the players they are. Money is just money, hockey is just a game which is completely secondary to individual rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->