Injury Report: Andersen Injured - Out 3-4 Weeks

Mr Hockey*

no i don't believe that NHL players should represent their countries at this level. they are employees of the NHL, they are paid gross amounts of money to play for THEIR team, and then when they are injured outside of that, it has the potential to screw up their season. it doesn't matter that it could happen if it was with the team - because at least if it was with the team, or training as a Leaf, at least it happened at work. it makes sense, and you go "that's the breaks, and you can move on."

There is a reason why NHL players need to get another type of insurance for international play, there's a reason why teams suspend players if they get injured doing anything not conducive to the team. So. no. i will not "give it a rest, already." that our goalie got injured, we don't know how severe, or how that will impact his season with the Leafs.

I also don't know how old you are, but stop making it sound like the NHL has always been and always will be at the Olympics. It only started up in 1998 when they allowed professional hockey players to go to Nagano and pretty much since 2006 it's been a massive hassle and it is getting more and more obvious that the NHL doesn't want to stop in the middle of their season (also may I note, that most players hate the condensed schedule), have to pay for millions of dollars of insurance, they get no revenue from going and the impact of the NHL actually being there hasn't really translated into much going international, or at home in North America. And there's no indication from the IOC that the Winter Games will be in North America any time soon as most bids are still Euro-Asia based. So it' going to constantly be this tug of war without the thrill and drama of a USA home games (and tugging at the hearts of Miracle on Ice), and with Vancouver a sure bet to win the 2010 games so you knew you'd have a hockey mad nation.

so no. i will not "give it a rest." when once again something happened to prove my point (and the owners) of why this is not a good idea. international hockey competition worked without NHL participation for a very very long time, and stop making it out like it won't be able to do so now.

I made the below post in another thread and she twists it into the above bolded.

This tournament has been going on since the 70's, under different name/formats.

I will pass ...

kloonak

Jul 7, 2016
NB
I agree, along with a total tear of the ACL in the left leg, MCL in the right, high ankle sprain and a concussion. That's just a rough guess though.

Glad it isn't anything serious ... :D

Kidding aside - hope he'll be OK. Anyone remember what did him in earlier in his career? I know he missed a month or two either last year or the year before.

Here's hoping it isn't some chronic or repeat injury problem.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
There were best on best tournaments in 76,81,84,87,91 and 96. You are making it sound like the 98 Olympics was the start of NHL players representing their countries.

Weren't you arguing that players *should* go to the worlds just a few months ago?

In any case, I doubt international tournaments with NHL players are stopping any time soon. Personally I hope it does continue as lots of Hockey fans enjoy it, the players seem to enjoy it too.

en masse it was in 98, allowing teams to also represent their countries at all world championships as well. those years were the Summit Series and previous Canada cups/world cups if i recognize my dates properly. it wasn't an expected "your season is done - you should go." or. "we must send them to the Olympics." as it is now. I think. If i'm wrong, then I stand corrected - but I am pretty sure that's when it started.

what i was arguing was that if they have to go (because they want to/enjoy it too) and your country calls you up and goes, come let's go. you should go. It doesn't change the fact that fundamentally i believe that the NHL players shouldn't be involved, or i'd like it if they'd stopped doing it. They aren't (as of now) so then work for what 'you want'. so to speak.

and I never said I didn't enjoy it. But as a fan of the Leafs - it would seriously piss the ever loving hell out of me that a player got injured and couldn't help my team. that's my priority as a Maple Leafs fan. as an IIHF fan, I know there are a countless ways to institute a best on best (because i personally believe that any competition that has it sets their own parameters for what that means. it doesn't change the fact that the tournament is enjoyable and for the most part entertaining). I would personally like a separation of church and state so to speak.

I just feel, if i were running the NHL, and there was no evidence of growth, injury to my players (impacting the financial gains of my product, not only for the team who suffered the injury but entertainment wise), extra financial risk (having to pay for extra incidental insurance). i would probably be where Bettman + Owners are now - NOT allowing it. obviously this is your milage will vary.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I didn't realize all the team doctors hang out here. If he's good to go for the World Cup, then obviously it's not serious.

The over reaction on here is laughable - it's no wonder Leafs fans (esp on here) get a hard time.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
It is said how serious the injury it is.

Aivis Kalniņš @A_Kalnins
As per Danish hockey federation Anderson should be back in action for the World Cup.

Meaning Andersen is Day-to-Day if this source is correct

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The Danish back-up goalie Sebastian Dahm played for the Icedogs in 07/08. I wondered if he was still playing. He was very good during their playoff run that year. Cool to see him again.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I didn't realize all the team doctors hang out here. If he's good to go for the World Cup, then obviously it's not serious.

The over reaction on here is laughable - it's no wonder Leafs fans (esp on here) get a hard time.

If the team is flying him back to Toronto to be checked out as per Friedman, the "good to go for WC" is probably premature. That being said, I don't think you're supposed to fly on a concussion, they grounded Nylander after the hit in last year WJC and Johnson after the flying elbow with the Marlies - So I suspect that's not it

Leafs fans have had 50 years of practice watching the train derail, forgive the reaction but its a behavior that this team has trained....and for some of us, our reactions were meant to be tongue in cheek

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If the team is flying him back to Toronto to be checked out as per Friedman, the "good to go for WC" is probably premature. That being said, I don't think you're supposed to fly on a concussion, they grounded Nylander after the hit in last year WJC and Johnson after the flying elbow with the Marlies - So I suspect that's not it

Leafs fans have had 50 years of practice watching the train derail, forgive the reaction but its a behavior that this team has trained....and for some of us, our reactions were meant to be tongue in cheek

Looking at there hit one could think: 1. No hyperextension or strange twisting of either knee 2. No extreme bending of either wrist 3. Both knees landed squarely on the pads 4. His head appears to hit his trapper as opposed to striking the ice directly. 5. Hard to break ribs with that chest protector absorbing the blow.

My guess is a mild shoulder strain.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Looking at there hit one could think: 1. No hyperextension or strange twisting of either knee 2. No extreme bending of either wrist 3. Both knees landed squarely on the pads 4. His head appears to hit his trapper as opposed to striking the ice directly. 5. Hard to break ribs with that chest protector absorbing the blow.

My guess is a mild shoulder strain.

ya I thought the same, I cringed when Bjorkstrand was heading in and Andersen was standing tall - thought it was going to be a bad knee hyper extension but that didn't happen. I was thinking it could be something ribcage or shoulder from the impact when he hit the ice

EDIT: just looked at the extended version with multi angles, looks like something with the right shoulder, gets caught under him when he lands and you can see him moving it around just before getting up to see how it feels

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The over reaction on here is laughable

Overreactions are a daily occurrence here. Just imagine what would happen if Matthews got injured, even with something meaningless like a broken finger. This place would break the internet if that were to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad