Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Torts made a comment about seeing Drysdale playing the Rover role, like what Boyle did for him back in Tampa. If Philly got a guy that good in this deal that’s a huge get to building a winner.

If you pick #5 overall and a few years down the line end up with a young Dan Boyle type Dman, you've done very well - regardless of how you got there.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Grown men show up to a college event to harras a teenager, shouldn't have been allowed in.

Look at the fat greasy slob in this picture, with his hand drawn T-shirt. He's actually proud of what he's doing with his Friday night haha brought his kids with him! So utterly pathetic.

Haven't seen a melon that greased up since Michael and Dwight were practicing giving birth.

YUP that's just passion baby , something a team in california just wouldn't understand when it comes to hockey, i don't blame you looking at this guy like an Alien , he is quite the grease ball but god forbid there's actual fans of NHL teams that care and get this passionate about the sport and their team

If this was american football or futbol this would be normal of course. Since its hockey the concept of being a completely degenerate fan is foreign to some

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
YUP that's just passion baby , something a team in california just wouldn't understand when it comes to hockey, i don't blame you looking at this guy like an Alien , he is quite the grease ball but god forbid there's actual fans of NHL teams that care and get this passionate about the sport and their team

If this was american football or futbol this would be normal of course. Since its hockey the concept of being a completely degenerate fan is foreign to some

I'm a Canadian who grew up in Leafs/Habs/Sens fan territory, so this level of hockey or sports fandom isn't foreign to me at all. Having a passionate emotional attachment is fine, and even disliking Gauthier is understandable. A grown man in his 40s dressing up to go to a college game to jeer at a nineteen year old because of a grudge over his favourite pro team, that's just pitiful. People living fulfilled lives don't feel the need to act like that.

Same goes for the people making death threats towards Hayes and Gauthier or the personal attacks against Canadian world junior players every year they don't win. Those come from losers living vicariously through fandom because they have nothing else. Normal passionate fans don't act like that.

The Flyers have many passionate fans who are rightfully ticked at Gauthier, but didn't make up t-shirts and drag their family to a college game to yell at him.

Last edited:

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I know everyone keeps going on about this trade, and why Cutter Gauthier turned his back on the team who drafted him, it was his choice, now let's move on. I'd actually rather have a player like Jamie Drysdale on the team. Drysdale could turn into one of the best defensemen in the entire NHL, I'll take that any day. He's already shown his ability to pass the puck in motion on the PP, I haven't seen a quality D-man for the Flyers do that since Chris Pronger was on the team. I know Niskanen did it for the season he played, but his time is already forgotten, it was like a brief dram of whiskey to a drowning Scotsman.

ducknuts

Jul 8, 2023
The more I watch Cutter Gauthier, the more I hate this trade for Anaheim. All tools, no toolbox.

As a Ducks fan, we’re going to regret this trade for many years.

Reactions: Larry44

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The more I watch Cutter Gauthier, the more I hate this trade for Anaheim. All tools, no toolbox.

As a Ducks fan, we’re going to regret this trade for many years.
Meh. People are over loving on Drysdale because of this situation. I think he’s great, but you have other defensive prospects and can survive the loss. I think Verbeek is building a forward group with some size and strength that’ll be a handful once they get going. Gauthier will be part of it, maybe he won’t be the leader but he’ll play a pretty big role. Maybe he will be the leader.

Both teams got what they wanted I think with this. It’s a good trade, just a bit of a shocker and with a lot of drama. Drysdale looks great, but the optics are better because he’s actually playing now and Gauthier is in the future. This will even out in time. Philly has a feel good story out of a bad situation right now, Ducks will have a great offensive group later.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Gauthier is going to have to be a good to elite 1st line winger or elite 2C for the Ducks to win/break even on this trade. I think Drysdale is going to be a very good #2 D and is much closer to reaching that level. It could be because of an entire vocal fan base crapping on the kid or that I prefer proven youth over potential (Ducks have been burned by guys that looked good at young ages before and turned into nothing), but I'm not sure I would have taken this risk right now.

Plus, Gauthier have Philly 3 full years to find a trade. Ducks have been burned twice, one with a player saying he'd sign up until it was too late to trade him and one that gave weeks/months of warning and probably one more coming up that we'll lose for cheap/free (Ian Moore). Fans have/will boo the players when they come here, but that's about it (for Schultz, we'd boo the guy with a similar name too). Don't think there were wishing any life altering injuries or death in those players, at least from what I remember.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Ducks have been burned twice, one with a player saying he'd sign up until it was too late to trade him and one that gave weeks/months of warning and probably one more coming up that we'll lose for cheap/free (Ian Moore).

Actually there's now probably a better chance that Moore signs. As a RHD behind talented guys like Drysdale and Luneau his odds of seeing the NHL were slim. His path is much more realistic now, though I wouldn't blame him one bit if he sought an easier route elsewhere.

It really is kind of ridiculous that the Ducks could trade a guy like Drysdale yet have so many young dmen in the pipeline that prospects are still better off signing elsewhere. And they could be adding another one high in the draft this year depending on how it plays out. I dunno how they scout dmen but whatever it is works.

Truth is they were never going to keep two small guys like Zellweger and Drysdale, one was gonna go, but I don't think Zellweger has enough current value to have made Philly bite, as he's completely unproven in the NHL.

Reactions: lwvs84 and tomd

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
So basically……

When the team refuses to sign the kid Philly fans are okay with that. It was even a good idea to not burn a year of his ELC.

But when the tables are turned and the kid refuses to sign with the team the kid did something horrible and the people harassing him are just passionate. Even though some of that passion has come in the form of death threats and telling a completely unrelated player they are glad his brother died.

If your prospect wants to sign and you say no don’t be surprised when he says no if you want to sign him later.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
So basically……

When the team refuses to sign the kid Philly fans are okay with that. It was even a good idea to not burn a year of his ELC.

But when the tables are turned and the kid refuses to sign with the team the kid did something horrible and the people harassing him are just passionate. Even though some of that passion has come in the form of death threats and telling a completely unrelated player they are glad his brother died.

If your prospect wants to sign and you say no don’t be surprised when he says no if you want to sign him later.
This has been debunked. They asked him to sign. he said he wanted to play another year in college and ghosted the team.

What a lot of people are deliberately and purposefully ignoring is that flyer fans are upset about his treatment of the organization, and by proxy, the city itself. No one actually cares that he demanded a trade. All of us in our forum and on twitter have explicitly stated "If he was more communicative, we'd understand."

He never gave a reason why. He ghosted John Leclaire, Patrick Sharpe, Danny Briere, Keith Jones. Shit, two of them flew to Sweden to meet with him and they were completely ignored.

I don't care that he wanted to leave. I care that he looked like an entitled prick in doing so. BUT with that said, at 19/20 years old, you're entitled to being an entitled prick. And people are entitled to teach you that being an entitled prick comes with people treating you like an entitled prick.

Don't harass him on social media. Don't send death threats. Don't be a jerk off. But boo him on the ice? Fair game. Completely.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
This has been debunked. They asked him to sign. he said he wanted to play another year in college and ghosted the team.

What a lot of people are deliberately and purposefully ignoring is that flyer fans are upset about his treatment of the organization, and by proxy, the city itself. No one actually cares that he demanded a trade. All of us in our forum and on twitter have explicitly stated "If he was more communicative, we'd understand."

He never gave a reason why. He ghosted John Leclaire, Patrick Sharpe, Danny Briere, Keith Jones. Shit, two of them flew to Sweden to meet with him and they were completely ignored.

I don't care that he wanted to leave. I care that he looked like an entitled prick in doing so. BUT with that said, at 19/20 years old, you're entitled to being an entitled prick. And people are entitled to teach you that being an entitled prick comes with people treating you like an entitled prick.

Don't harass him on social media. Don't send death threats. Don't be a jerk off. But boo him on the ice? Fair game. Completely.

Exactly. I mean pretty childish on his part. Philly definitely dodged a bullet here.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Pierre LeBrun on Insider Trading quoted Overhardt saying:

“It’s a private issue between the player and his family. We definitely had conversations with Philadelphia, very respectable conversations with Philadelphia about it. We’ve chosen just to take the high road and leave all that information private.”

he gave the flyers his reason, thats all he needs to do.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

It hasn’t been debunked. It’s more that people are confusing the timeline. Friedman himself confirmed that timeline.
He wanted to burn a year off his ELC and the team said no.
Not long after they tried to sign him after the world championships and the player said no.

If someone asks you for something you have the right to say no but you shouldn’t be shocked when they say no when you ask for something similar.

As to the communication or treatment of the organization he gave your team all they are entitled to. He told them through his agent that he wasn’t going to sign. As much as you may want more explanation you nor the team are owed anything more than that.

Of course it’s perfectly fine to boo this player im just trying to point out the hypocrisy of how people are thinking about him.

Reactions: dracom

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
It hasn’t been debunked. It’s more that people are confusing the timeline. Friedman himself confirmed that timeline.
He wanted to burn a year off his ELC and the team said no.
Not long after they tried to sign him after the world championships and the player said no.

If someone asks you for something you have the right to say no but you shouldn’t be shocked when they say no when you ask for something similar.

As to the communication or treatment of the organization he gave your team all they are entitled to. He told them through his agent that he wasn’t going to sign. As much as you may want more explanation you nor the team are owed anything more than that.

Of course it’s perfectly fine to boo this player im just trying to point out the hypocrisy of how people are thinking about him.
you're right. he doesn't have to give more than that. And Flyer fans are absolutely right to feel slighted by it. There's a give and take from both sides. He gave (or didn't give) and now he's taking.

Again, I absolutely think its disgusting the abuse he's faced on social media, but social media is such a shit show that everyone faces something like this at some point (you should have seen the abuse I received for saying I didn't like formation by Beyonce.

But people going to a game to boo him, and calling him entitled. That's all fair game.

Reactions: cyris

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
you're right. he doesn't have to give more than that. And Flyer fans are absolutely right to feel slighted by it. There's a give and take from both sides. He gave (or didn't give) and now he's taking.

Again, I absolutely think its disgusting the abuse he's faced on social media, but social media is such a shit show that everyone faces something like this at some point (you should have seen the abuse I received for saying I didn't like formation by Beyonce.

But people going to a game to boo him, and calling him entitled. That's all fair game.
I agree with all of this for the most part

Reactions: Sombastate

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
what part of he doesn't have to give the reasons do you not get? you're not entitled to any reasons beyond the one he's already given. grow up

But you keep bringing up a reason; he wanted to sign, they didn't, etc. I'm not entitled to a reason and I don't really care that much, but I'm not going to keep referencing a RUMOR as a reason.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
But you keep bringing up a reason; he wanted to sign, they didn't, etc. I'm not entitled to a reason and I don't really care that much, but I'm not going to keep referencing a RUMOR as a reason.
are you not bothering to read the tweet or the article you replied too? "Gauthier's agent, Kurt Overhardt, said the decision was rooted in personal reasons related to the player's family." that's it. that's the only reason he decided not to sign. it's not a rumor when it comes from his own agent.

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
what part of he doesn't have to give the reasons do you not get? you're not entitled to any reasons beyond the one he's already given. grow up

And none of us know if they actually did tell the team why, and the team just doesn't want to let that reason get out.

are you not bothering to read the tweet or the article you're replied too? "Gauthier's agent, Kurt Overhardt, said the decision was rooted in personal reasons related to the player's family." that's it. that's the only reason he decided not to sign. it's not a rumor when it comes from his own agent.

Aha, that's code for someone on the Flyers hit on his sister inappropriately. And his mom.

And now I've confirmed it from sources that I just made up. Can I start a podcast now and have Torts curse at me? That'd be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad