Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I th
-Cutter Gauthier at age 16 had been in front of more cameras than I have in my entire life. Do I think he’s capable of standing in front of a camera and explaining what happened? Yes. He’s given 50, maybe even 100+ interviews in his career and somehow has managed to get through them all and acquit himself fairly well. I don’t think he’d all the sudden forget how to speak. Dumb argument. But also, it doesn’t have to be a TV interview. He could release a full prepared statement. He could agree to an interview via texts, where his agent or a PR team is aiding in the answers. This is a really poor attempt at an excuse.

-I don’t expect him to come crawling on his hands and knees lol. I have said multiple times that he owes me / the Flyers fan base nothing. At the same time, Flyers fans owe him nothing. The boos and the dislike are gonna continue if the status quo stays.

-At the same time, of course, I am curious to know the truth. I would like to know the full truth.

-I’m one of the few moderates in the fan base. Most flyers fans either think Cutter is 1-2 steps removed from a serial killer or think the Flyers are incompetent and want to give Gauthier the keys to the city for embarrassing them. I’d like to hear the truth before I fully judge, but I agree with you, I think the flyers are lying, I think they failed to burn a year off his ELC as promised and that combined with the organizational chaos destroyed the relationship. And I think there’s a good number of Flyers fans who if they heard that from CG would shift their anger towards Briere/Jones/Hilferty.
I think the flyers management team are inexperienced and made a mistake. The kid gains absolutely nothing by saying anything. Do you really think if he goes on TV and says the flyers screwed me after they made all these promises and the current management team are idiots and they potentially screwed me out of millions of dollars and decided to play hard ball so I played back… would help him move past this situation?? It would make him toxic in front of half the NHL management. I don’t know what you do for a living, but when you get to a certain point, with significant responsibilities, you can’t actually share what happened. If you do, you lose trust and you don’t find anouther job, your screwed and it’s on you. Not that it’s fair, but it works that way. This is adulthood and it sucks, looks like this young man has representation that gets it and has coached him well.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Listen, Cutter felt he was worth more (whether than be in money, ELCs, time in AHL, etc.) than the Flyers did apparently in a conversation and then Cutter decided he'd take his ball and go elsewhere.

It's as simple as that - and he can suck it, in my humble Flyers fan opinion. I hope he is a bigger bust than Gilbert Brule.

Reactions: Hextallent63

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Listen, Cutter felt he was worth more (whether than be in money, ELCs, time in AHL, etc.) than the Flyers did apparently in a conversation and then Cutter decided he'd take his ball and go elsewhere.

It's as simple as that - and he can suck it, in my humble Flyers fan opinion. I hope he is a bigger bust than Gilbert Brule.

Understandable, but to be truly fair if he lights it up and proves that he was worth that extra money or didn't need AHL time then you should be pissed at management for getting it so wrong, no?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I th

I think the flyers management team are inexperienced and made a mistake. The kid gains absolutely nothing by saying anything. Do you really think if he goes on TV and says the flyers screwed me after they made all these promises and the current management team are idiots and they potentially screwed me out of millions of dollars and decided to play hard ball so I played back… would help him move past this situation?? It would make him toxic in front of half the NHL management. I don’t know what you do for a living, but when you get to a certain point, with significant responsibilities, you can’t actually share what happened. If you do, you lose trust and you don’t find anouther job, your screwed and it’s on you. Not that it’s fair, but it works that way. This is adulthood and it sucks, looks like this young man has representation that gets it and has coached him well.

When you put it like that, I can see it from your side.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I th

I don’t get what management did poorly. I watched all the interviews and they just answered the questions they felt they had no choice but to face. They had to announce the trade and word had finally started leaking that it wasn’t going well between the team and the player. They faced it. Briere wasn’t rude and didn’t throw the kid under the bus. He said he wasn’t sure of why he didn’t want to play, but that he didn’t and they moved him. He was asked about the timeline and gave an accurate account including the FaceTime meeting where CG said he wanted out. He explained why they waited to do something - they hoped he would change his mind. Nothing was done unfairly to the kid in that Briere interview. They chose to face the situation and like you say the player chose to stay quiet. I think both their situations play to that being the best option. The team knew they were better explaining and the players agent knows they’re better off staying quiet.

Torts didn’t say anything wrong. Jones didn’t either. If someone doesn’t want to play there then they shouldn’t be there and it’s over.

As far as not wanting to sign him earlier, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. I don’t believe that’s enough for the kid to leave either. I think he just didn’t want to be there and found his reasons to leave. He’s not getting back whatever he thought he lost from the Ducks financially. I don’t think he ever wanted to be a Flyer.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
I don’t know what you do for a living, but when you get to a certain point, with significant responsibilities, you can’t actually share what happened. If you do, you lose trust and you don’t find anouther job, your screwed and it’s on you. Not that it’s fair, but it works that way. This is adulthood and it sucks, looks like this young man has representation that gets it and has coached him well.
Oh for sure. It’s just usually you’re still employed by that organization when you’re covering for them. Or they’ve given you a nice golden parachute in exchange for signing an NDA about what really happened.

If this was just a mutual parting, with neither side giving specifics and the Flyers focusing solely/mostly on how amazing Drysdale was gonna be for the Flyers, your approach would make sense.

That isn’t what the Flyers did though. They painted Cutter as enemy number one. The guy at the top of the food chain, the CEO of Comcast Spectacor, the Governor of the team invoked JD Drew (another athlete who wouldn’t play here and had batteries thrown at him when he played in philly) and stirred up the fan base. A Flyers-affiliated podcast blamed Gauthier’s friend/mentor Kevin Hayes and got death threats sent his way.

The Flyers via their media blitz intentionally smeared Gauthier’s name and put him in the crosshairs of a notoriously “passionate” (and at times angry… just ask eagles players about their insta DMs these last few weeks) fan base.

I hardly think any other NHL GMs would blame him for responding and refuting the Flyers claims.

There’s a way to calmly and professionally explain your side of the story without going full on scorched earth and trying to torch an organization.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Some people never obtain mental maturity. Some people at age 35 have been found to have less impulse control than others at age 14.

Unless you have access to brain scans of Cutter, we’ll never know if his impulse control is still developing or if he’s just a douche.

But as we define adults in the United States and Canada, Cutter Gauthier is an adult. If he did something serious, his relative youth would not forgive the matter.

You want to root for / like the guy, so you call him a kid and chalk his potential misdeeds up to immaturity. But there’s no science behind that.

No, being an adult in the legal sense is still not the same as being an actual adult. Your brain is not fully developed until you are ~25. That's when you are an actual adult.

By your logic a 15 year old is an adult because "ThEy cAn gO to PrISoN"

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Oh for sure. It’s just usually you’re still employed by that organization when you’re covering for them. Or they’ve given you a nice golden parachute in exchange for signing an NDA about what really happened.

If this was just a mutual parting, with neither side giving specifics and the Flyers focusing solely/mostly on how amazing Drysdale was gonna be for the Flyers, your approach would make sense.

That isn’t what the Flyers did though. They painted Cutter as enemy number one. The guy at the top of the food chain, the CEO of Comcast Spectacor, the Governor of the team invoked JD Drew (another athlete who wouldn’t play here and had batteries thrown at him when he played in philly) and stirred up the fan base. A Flyers-affiliated podcast blamed Gauthier’s friend/mentor Kevin Hayes and got death threats sent his way.

The Flyers via their media blitz intentionally smeared Gauthier’s name and put him in the crosshairs of a notoriously “passionate” (and at times angry… just ask eagles players about their insta DMs these last few weeks) fan base.

I hardly think any other NHL GMs would blame him for responding and refuting the Flyers claims.

There’s a way to calmly and professionally explain your side of the story without going full on scorched earth and trying to torch an organization.
The hockey world is a tight circle and that would be a dangerous game. As for someone at that level running his mouth, it’s unprofessional and makes me believe even more that they are the douche in this one.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
There seems to be a lot of people who feel like Cutter owed them this or owed them that. At the end of the day, that teenager owes you nothing. Some Flyers fans made their own decisions to allow their anger to boil over to death threats and showing up at BC. That's not his fault. Cutter is not responsible for the choices of adults. He never has to explain himself. Adults should not ever be threatening children. Seems like a no brainer but the justification of awful behavior is just wrong.

Reactions: Trojans86 and 1909

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
They faced it. Briere wasn’t rude and didn’t throw the kid under the bus.

He didn't have to ... He had media proxies to do the dirty work for him.

As far as not wanting to sign him earlier, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.

Totally. That's their prerogative.

I don’t believe that’s enough for the kid to leave either.

Disagree. From his side they already took a few million off the table over his career. Whether you believe he was worth that or not, it's not nothing.

You're talking about a high 1st round pick, not a 4th rounder who broke out. You don't typically mess around with guys like that. ELC rules make it where there's really not much negotiating needed. This isn't like the old days when a Kariya could squeeze out a multimillion a year deal by threatening to go back to school.

A highly drafted CHL guy, you get him signed quickly before he can re-enter the draft. A highly drafted college kid, you use the ELC burn like a signing bonus to avoid a scenario where they might take the UFA route. Don't like it, don't draft college kids.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Kid Cut ties from Philly.

Absolutely fine to be pissed but could have been much worse.

Could have been public knowledge and Flyers end up with basically nothing in return.

But they got a recent Top 10 pick who’s a RHD. Those are hard to come by.

Coupled with a potentially high 2nd, it looks like a potential win for both sides.

It is what it is and time to move on.

But I look forward to this thread popping up over the next number of years anytime Cutter or Drysdale have one game where they are great (or terrible).

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
No, being an adult in the legal sense is still not the same as being an actual adult. Your brain is not fully developed until you are ~25. That's when you are an actual adult.

By your logic a 15 year old is an adult because "ThEy cAn gO to PrISoN"
“Actual Adult” lol.

Again, you’re just trying to apply intentionally ambiguous terms to protect your precious Cutter because you like him.

Brain development is not a one size fits all thing. Some people’s brains are fully developed by age 18. Some continue developing into their 30s. Some people with brains that are still developing at 30 have less developed areas of the brain that account for morals and maturity than other individuals had when they were 14. Have you seen scans of Cutter’s brain to be calling him a “kid” and implying his brain development makes him immature?

In most countries, we draw the line at 18. Cutter Gauthier is an adult. You can call him an emotionally immature adult if it makes you feel better, but then you’d be insulting the young man and I don’t think you have any basis for that.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011

I enjoy everyones opinions and ideas about what is going on in the situation, but to me its easy. its about money and the flyers not doing what said parties involved wanted.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
“Actual Adult” lol.

Again, you’re just trying to apply intentionally ambiguous terms to protect your precious Cutter because you like him.

Brain development is not a one size fits all thing. Some people’s brains are fully developed by age 18. Some continue developing into their 30s. Some people with brains that are still developing at 30 have less developed areas of the brain that account for morals and maturity than other individuals had when they were 14. Have you seen scans of Cutter’s brain to be calling him a “kid” and implying his brain development makes him immature?

In most countries, we draw the line at 18. Cutter Gauthier is an adult. You can call him an emotionally immature adult if it makes you feel better, but then you’d be insulting the young man and I don’t think you have any basis for that.

He's a teenager. Teenagers are children. Just because as a society we arbitrarily draw the line at 18 doesn't mean he's an adult capable of handling what some Flyers fans have been doing. The difference between a 17 year old and a 19 year old in handling death threats is negligible. He's a student in college and, yes, still a child surrounded by adults who know better. Adults need to control themselves.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
He's a teenager. Teenagers are children. Just because as a society we arbitrarily draw the line at 18 doesn't mean he's an adult capable of handling what some Flyers fans have been doing. The difference between a 17 year old and a 19 year old in handling death threats is negligible. He's a student in college and, yes, still a child surrounded by adults who know better. Adults need to control themselves.
who said he should have to handle death threats or be able to handle them? Regardless of if he’s 10, 20, 30, or 65, he shouldn’t be getting death threats and regardless of his age that’s scary and something professionals should be dealing with.

Should he be capable of explaining his decision making and dealing with hecklers at his game? Yes.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
who said he should have to handle death threats or be able to handle them? Regardless of if he’s 10, 20, 30, or 65, he shouldn’t be getting death threats and regardless of his age that’s scary and something professionals should be dealing with.

Should he be capable of explaining his decision making and dealing with hecklers at his game? Yes.

Why does he owe anyone an explanation? He is allowed his privacy like anyone else. He should not have to explain his decisions to avoid adults coming and harassing him.

Essentially, your argument says that his only way to avoid this type of behavior is to explain himself. But what you're saying is that there was no way to avoid this. There was. Every adult made a decision with their comments or their actions. He is not responsible for their choices and he shouldn't have to explain himself so they don't choose to do something. The issue is with the adults that are allowing a teenager to take up that much space in their brain. It's gross.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
See Flyers fans and all other fanbases it sucks and hurts when players reject your team. And don’t act like this vitriolic response by the Flyers fanbase wouldn’t happen in other cities as well. Welcome to the existence of the Edmonton Oilers for 40 f***in years. Keep telling us we don’t “deserve” the picks we’ve gotten through years of painful seasons and shit hockey when we DIDNT tank once and tried every f***in year to do things the right way in this League, literally the ONLY way for us to get top end talent and ONLY way we have chance to compete. Oh and the incessant McDavid and Draisaitl “need to leave” Edmonton narrative during their MAX TERM contracts is a f***in trash take to have too.
Edmonton fans try not to throw a pity party for themselves in a thread that has nothing to do with them: Impossible Edition

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Is it possible that the Gauthier camp thought he should be signed and asked to come to the Flyers to be gifted top6 ice time and burn a year of his ELC and the Flyers thought he looks like he could use seasoning and then start in the AHL?

If so you have to ask yourself what the took players like Byfield and Lafreniere so long and were the Flyers wrong to see it this way given the examples. Probably not a conversation Tortz was willing to have to gift a guy anything also.

Seems to me that the Flyers got a more valuable asset if Drysdale gets to be a top4 RD and Gauthier a top6 LW without being a line driver which isn't how he projects at this point from what i've seen and heard. 2nd rounder was a nice added bonus or another chance to recoup value if JD's career doesn't max out.

I wouldn't be very upset if i'm a Flyers fan

Reactions: Chuck Downie

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

Oh I'm sure he's capable. Obviously his camp has decided taking some heat from a few randos is either worth it over revealing the truth, or nothing they can't handle. And the Flyers camp apparently thinks it's better to play it like they have no idea what happened, even though they most likely do know.

Reactions: MD93

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
“Actual Adult” lol.

And here we go. I don't like Cutter. I actually think he's an c*nt. So there's that argument thrown out the window.

The rest is just science denial. The brain is never fully developed at 18-20. You might find a rare case here and there but I doubt it.

25-30 is the scientific consensus.

In most countries we draw the line at 18 because of different political reasons (in the US it was dueto unrest because of the vietnam war) and not because an 18 year old is an actual full rational thinking adult.

Reactions: Vipers31

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
I remember quite distinctly, Flyers fans, including me were PISSED OFF that we even took CG, passing on the draft's best defensemen, Jiricek. Why be all up in arms now? We got perhaps a better version in JD and a second to boot. Good asset management I think unless CG turns out to be the next Crosby or something

Reactions: Breeze 44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad