Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

giant 870

Jan 13, 2024
We keep hearing that the biggest character flaw was that Gauthier refused to even talk with the Philly brass when they showed up to his college and then to the IIHF tournament.
I'm only speculating, but I'm sure they contacted Gauthier's camp to let them know they were coming and wanted to talk with him. If that happened, then I'm sure his adviser told them he is not interested in talking with you and that he just wants to be traded. He has already made up his mind and nothing you can say will change his mind. If you need to relay something to him, I will pass it along to him, but all communication between the team and him go through me. They then just showed up anyways and complained they were ghosted. Same thing happened again at the tournament.
I just can't see the Philly brass just showing up out of the blue and not giving them a heads up. And I'm sure his adviser told them he does not want to talk with them and any and all further communication needs to go through him. It's actually kind of disrespectful if they did just show up without notice ahead of time.
That is why a player hires an adviser/agent. They are there to be the go between the player and team. If Philly tried to go around his adviser, then them getting ghosted is what they deserved. Even if they are HOF players representing the team. It's a business and there is a process on how you deal with a player. If you don't fallow that process, you have no right to complain about feeling like they were disrespected.
Again, we don't know what really happened, so I am just speculating that this is what happened.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
You think he looks worse, I don’t. It’s a matter of opinion and ours differs. I think Philly didn’t live up to a commitment it made and I don’t think some kid should have to go on TV and call them out to satisfy people. Him wanting to leave should be enough, as you say he isn’t an NHl player and hasn’t been paid, so he owns no one anything.
I don’t think he should do it to satisfy people, I think he should do it to make things easier on himself. The current narrative makes him look really bad. It has Flyers fans showing up to BC to chirp him.

If his reasons are logical, the only reason to hold back sharing them would’ve been showing some type of respect to the flyers / their leadership.

However, after what Hilferty said, invoking JD Drew and practically inviting crazed fans to attend Ducks vs Flyers next year and throw shit at him, and after a Flyers partnered podcast claimed it was Kevin Hayes fault and his family subsequently received death threats, and after the GM and president both claimed Cutter never told them why and ghosted them, I’d say all bets about showing respect to the Flyers are off.

If he doesn’t at some point defend his reputation here and refute those claims, then whether they’re true or not, they will become the truth in the minds of everyone in the hockey world.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I don’t think he should do it to satisfy people, I think he should do it to make things easier on himself. The current narrative makes him look really bad. It has Flyers fans showing up to BC to chirp him.

If his reasons are logical, the only reason to hold back sharing them would’ve been showing some type of respect to the flyers / their leadership.

However, after what Hilferty said, invoking JD Drew and practically inviting crazed fans to attend Ducks vs Flyers next year and throw shit at him, and after a Flyers partnered podcast claimed it was Kevin Hayes fault and his family subsequently received death threats, and after the GM and president both claimed Cutter never told them why and ghosted them, I’d say all bets about showing respect to the Flyers are off.

If he doesn’t at some point defend his reputation here and refute those claims, then whether they’re true or not, they will become the truth in the minds of everyone in the hockey world.
Flyer fans showing up at BC games to Chirp him are losers and I hope they Toss them from the game and ban them. Imagine going out of your way to try and make some kids life miserable because he doesn’t want to play for your team. What a bunch of snowflake, princess, losers. He doesn’t owe anyone anything, and those adults need to get a life. Imagine trying to hold a kid a teenager that never got a pay check to a standard because he plays a game, but then not attacking the adults who are issuing death threats and can’t manage their own emotions.

He doesn’t owe the organization or its fans anything because they happened to draft him. If I am a future prospect, it’s the last place I would want to go. Worst fans in the NHL?

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Flyer fans showing up at BC games to Chirp him are losers and I hope they Toss them from the game and ban them. Imagine going out of your way to try and make some kids life miserable because he doesn’t want to play for your team. What a bunch of snowflake, princess, losers. He doesn’t owe anyone anything, and those adults need to get a life. Imagine trying to hold a kid a teenager that never got a pay check to a standard because he plays a game, but then not attacking the adults who are issuing death threats and can’t manage their own emotions.

He doesn’t owe the organization or its fans anything because they happened to draft him. If I am a future prospect, it’s the last place I would want to go. Worst fans in the NHL?
You somehow managed to focus on all the wrong things from my comment lol.

The point I was making is that the Flyers’ narrative (which Cutter is just letting be the only words spoken on the matter) is inciting anger and hatred towards Cutter and his family.

He doesn’t owe anyone anything, but from a purely self-serving motive, I’d think he’d want to get his side of the story out there if the Flyers truly wronged him. Turn the narrative to how the Flyers broke promises to him and how they subsequently lied about his communications to them and the difficulty those lies have caused him/his family. If the Flyers are in fact lying (I think they are), he’d go from a villain to a victim.

I find it odd how he’s just remaining mum right now.

Also, just as a point of fact, he’s not a “kid”, he’s a 19 year old man. And if that 19 year old man ghosted a team without a decent reason and caused them to lose a decent amount of value by forcing a trade, flyers fans chirping him and bringing signs to his games is more than appropriate.

it should go without saying that death threats are so far out of bounds. And I haven’t seen a single Flyers fan not attacking or condoning that.

giant 870

Jan 13, 2024

The point I was making is that the Flyers’ narrative (which Cutter is just letting be the only words spoken on the matter) is inciting anger and hatred towards Cutter and his family.

He doesn’t owe anyone anything, but from a purely self-serving motive, I’d think he’d want to get his side of the story out there if the Flyers truly wronged him. Turn the narrative to how the Flyers broke promises to him and how they subsequently lied about his communications to them and the difficulty those lies have caused him/his family. If the Flyers are in fact lying (I think they are), he’d go from a villain to a victim.

Also, just as a point of fact, he’s not a “kid”, he’s a 19 year old man. And if that 19 year old man ghosted a team without a decent reason and caused them to lose a decent amount of value by forcing a trade, flyers fans chirping him and bringing signs to his games is more than appropriate.

it should go without saying that death threats are so far out of bounds. And I haven’t seen a single Flyers fan not attacking or condoning that.
I don't think he actually ghosted the team. He has a handler/agent. This is a business. All communication between the team and player needs to go through that handler. The team should have, if they didn't, contacted the handler and requested an in person meeting with Gauthier. If they did contact his handler to request this, I bet they were told he doesn't want to talk with them and that he has made up his mind and wants to be trade, so don't bother coming to BC to try and talk with him. If they didn't contact his handler first and bypassed communication with him and just showed up, that would be one more thing that would piss off him and his camp. Why would he want to deal with them if they are going to do something like that? They then do it again at the IIHF tournament.
I think Philly just wanted to get out a narrative that Gauthier ghosted them and they have no idea why he doesn't want to be a Flyer because they are extremely embarrassed by everything that has happened between them. They know full well why he doesn't want to be on their team. They just wanted to tarnish his reputation and try and save face. Of course the tarnish is still out there and he has not done anything on his side to try and clear things up. So until, or if he does this will hang over his head for the rest of his career.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

19 year olds are not men, I don’t know a single person who was mature enough to be considered a man in the context in which you seem to expect. To be attacked the way he is and for you to expect him to articulate his feelings and expose himself to more backlash? It won’t matter what his reasons are it will be twisted.

Perhaps you can use all the energy you have in this matter to push back against the normalization of abuse and threats and maybe the actual adults should be the rational ones and explain their behaviour. I don’t see you walking them to go in camera and explain why they made death threats. It’s just a game, a game… death threats because he doesn’t want to wear a jersey. When will we start dealing with the idiots who can’t control emotions and leave kids alone. Your very position supports the notion he owes something, instead of standing up and telling the idiots to shut up and move on.

What’s good for him is to just move on and not suffer any further abuse, because no reason will be enough.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
19 year olds are not men, I don’t know a single person who was mature enough to be considered a man in the context in which you seem to expect. To be attacked the way he is and for you to expect him to articulate his feelings and expose himself to more backlash? It won’t matter what his reasons are it will be twisted.

Perhaps you can use all the energy you have in this matter to push back against the normalization of abuse and threats and maybe the actual adults should be the rational ones and explain their behaviour. I don’t see you walking them to go in camera and explain why they made death threats. It’s just a game, a game… death threats because he doesn’t want to wear a jersey. When will we start dealing with the idiots who can’t control emotions and leave kids alone. Your very position supports the notion he owes something, instead of standing up and telling the idiots to shut up and move on.

What’s good for him is to just move on and not suffer any further abuse, because no reason will be enough.
19 year olds are absolutely men. Go try and commit a crime as a 19 year old and see what court you get tried in. We all know right and wrong at 19. We all know actions have consequences at age 19. The fact that you may still be maturing doesn’t make you a ‘kid”. I’m a lot more mature at 38 than I was at 30. I think my world views have become a lot more refined. But if i f*cked up at 30, nobody would be calling me a kid and acting like I’m a victim just cause I still had some maturing to go.

Anyway, I’m not sure what kind of moral argument you’re trying to make with the death threats stuff, but I’m not the police lol. Death threats are punishable with prison time. I’d hope Cutter (and Hayes) called the police to report those incidents and I’d hope the police find those responsible and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. I don’t think making them go on camera to explain their actions is enough, they should be in jail.

But unless you know something I don’t know, those fans at the BC game didn’t make any threats. They had silly t shirts, some totally PG signs about Drysdale being a better role model and philly not needing Cutter, and they boo’d him. All totally justifiable.

If Philly fans giving him shit doesn’t bother him (i don’t think it will be exclusive to philly btw, a lot of impartial fans have commented here that they’re now rooting against Cutter), then he doesn’t have to say a word. He can live with the consequences of not countering the Flyers narrative. But if it’s actually bugging / distracting him, and the Flyers are not telling the truth, I repeat, I think it would help his case to provide details on the Flyers lies.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
19 year olds are absolutely men. Go try and commit a crime as a 19 year old and see what court you get tried in. We all know right and wrong at 19. We all know actions have consequences at age 19. The fact that you may still be maturing doesn’t make you a ‘kid”. I’m a lot more mature at 38 than I was at 30. I think my world views have become a lot more refined. But if i f*cked up at 30, nobody would be calling me a kid and acting like I’m a victim just cause I still had some maturing to go.

Anyway, I’m not sure what kind of moral argument you’re trying to make with the death threats stuff, but I’m not the police lol. Death threats are punishable with prison time. I’d hope Cutter (and Hayes) called the police to report those incidents and I’d hope the police find those responsible and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. I don’t think making them go on camera to explain their actions is enough, they should be in jail.

But unless you know something I don’t know, those fans at the BC game didn’t make any threats. They had silly t shirts, some totally PG signs about Drysdale being a better role model and philly not needing Cutter, and they boo’d him. All totally justifiable.

If Philly fans giving him shit doesn’t bother him (i don’t think it will be exclusive to philly btw, a lot of impartial fans have commented here that they’re now rooting against Cutter), then he doesn’t have to say a word. He can live with the consequences of not countering the Flyers narrative. But if it’s actually bugging / distracting him, and the Flyers are not telling the truth, I repeat, I think it would help his case to provide details on the Flyers lies.
Your 38, do you think you would have been able to handle this situation at 19 and stand in front of cameras and explain yourself in a way that satisfies those who won’t be satisfied no matter what you say. This while knowing if you slip up and mis speak in the moment it will be held against you by a fan base that already hates you. I don’t know you, but no way you would be able to be perfect in that situation and very very few people could. The point I am making is that you are tying to pretend to be a moderate while also expecting him to come crawling on his knees to explain himself. He doesn’t owe that to you or anyone, no matter how you try and justify it. Knowing right and wrong, legal adult or not, hockey player or ping pong player… he is a 19 year old kid and he made a decision. This decision has consequences, he now has to move to California, he has got significant attending he would have probably preferred to avoid, and of course he has people threatening him. I doubt he cares about the boo birds, but this notion you have that you know what’s best for him and how he should manage this situation without knowing the facts and yet you are somehow moderate and trying to make it easier on the guy is a challenge for me to understand. I’m sure if you are the guy that can solve this for him his representatives will give you a ring. The flyers know why, don’t kid yourself. They made a decision and he didn’t like it and they have a vested interest no having it get out the same as the player. No one benefits from him going on TV to tell his tale, the fans that are angry won’t care and some who don’t care will take exception. It’s literally a no win situation for him. One day it will come out once it’s cooled down and maybe you and I agree with him and maybe we don’t… but it won’t matter.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Tell me you don't know the difference between legal age and mental maturity without telling me you don't know the difference between legal age and mental maturity

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Your 38, do you think you would have been able to handle this situation at 19 and stand in front of cameras and explain yourself in a way that satisfies those who won’t be satisfied no matter what you say. This while knowing if you slip up and mis speak in the moment it will be held against you by a fan base that already hates you. I don’t know you, but no way you would be able to be perfect in that situation and very very few people could. The point I am making is that you are tying to pretend to be a moderate while also expecting him to come crawling on his knees to explain himself. He doesn’t owe that to you or anyone, no matter how you try and justify it. Knowing right and wrong, legal adult or not, hockey player or ping pong player… he is a 19 year old kid and he made a decision. This decision has consequences, he now has to move to California, he has got significant attending he would have probably preferred to avoid, and of course he has people threatening him. I doubt he cares about the boo birds, but this notion you have that you know what’s best for him and how he should manage this situation without knowing the facts and yet you are somehow moderate and trying to make it easier on the guy is a challenge for me to understand. I’m sure if you are the guy that can solve this for him his representatives will give you a ring. The flyers know why, don’t kid yourself. They made a decision and he didn’t like it and they have a vested interest no having it get out the same as the player. No one benefits from him going on TV to tell his tale, the fans that are angry won’t care and some who don’t care will take exception. It’s literally a no win situation for him. One day it will come out once it’s cooled down and maybe you and I agree with him and maybe we don’t… but it won’t matter.

Nah, even at 19 he deserved the backlash (not the threats) but it all could have be avoided if Quitter wasnt a baby and just reported to the team. Ya know..be happy you're in the NHL.

When you compare it with Lindros and Quebec. It was a lot different; Lindros at least flat out told Quebec "do not draft me." Also didn't want to play for the Owner of Quebec, as there was something personal between two parties.

But This reeks of, uhh uhh uhh I'm a Penguins fan when I was a kid and uhh uhh I like Crosby. So I want out of Philly.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: OKR

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Nah, even at 19 he deserved the backlash (not the threats) but it all could have be avoided if Quitter wasnt a baby and just reported to the team. Ya know..be happy you're in the NHL.

When you compare it with Lindros and Quebec. It was a lot different; Lindros at least flat out told Quebec "do not draft me." Also didn't want to play for the Owner of Quebec, as there was something personal between two parties.

But This reeks of, uhh uhh uhh I'm a Penguins fan when I was a kid and uhh uhh I like Crosby. So I want out of Philly.
See, I disagree. It reeks of the team deciding that it was better to maximize the utility of the contract by not allowing him to have his games and burn a year of ELC. This was after they had agreed to this course and they went back on their word. I don’t blame the kid, if someone potentially cost me millions of dollars, I would also tell them to trade me. It is a privilege to play in the NHl? I guess, but the way it works is a combination of supply and demand and talent as well as work ethic and capacity. Is every single professional that gets paid well privileged to be in the spot, or did they earn it. I believe the privileged angle you have is a form of fascist rhetoric that doesn’t align with free market economics or that the owners use when convenient. Both sides need each other and if you’re good enough for the job you get it… sounds like work to me and not privilege.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
See, I disagree. It reeks of the team deciding that it was better to maximize the utility of the contract by not allowing him to have his games and burn a year of ELC. This was after they had agreed to this course and they went back on their word. I don’t blame the kid, if someone potentially cost me millions of dollars, I would also tell them to trade me. It is a privilege to play in the NHl? I guess, but the way it works is a combination of supply and demand and talent as well as work ethic and capacity. Is every single professional that gets paid well privileged to be in the spot, or did they earn it. I believe the privileged angle you have is a form of fascist rhetoric that doesn’t align with free market economics or that the owners use when convenient. Both sides need each other and if you’re good enough for the job you get it… sounds like work to me and not privilege.

He got his trade though right? He's a free man. So...

But whether or not the Flyers played this over cautiously, they did love the Player. And the player didn't communicate with them.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

I don't find it odd at all. His agent has other clients and still has to have dealings with the team. Management and ownership are a fraternity too, a lot of them are former players and buddies, and many don't want their own dirty laundry aired by guys they're having a spat with ... They'll circle the wagons to a degree and protect each other. And unlike a lone player every team is backed by a big team of PR people, and allied with people in the media who are also either buddies or who are afraid of losing access.

A player who speaks out too much puts himself in a really tough spot even if he's in the right.

And because of this, I'm really hesitant to believe the team when they say they have no idea why. Someone on that team does know, they just aren't saying for whatever reason.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Tell me you don't know the difference between legal age and mental maturity without telling me you don't know the difference between legal age and mental maturity
Some people never obtain mental maturity. Some people at age 35 have been found to have less impulse control than others at age 14.

Unless you have access to brain scans of Cutter, we’ll never know if his impulse control is still developing or if he’s just a douche.

But as we define adults in the United States and Canada, Cutter Gauthier is an adult. If he did something serious, his relative youth would not forgive the matter.

You want to root for / like the guy, so you call him a kid and chalk his potential misdeeds up to immaturity. But there’s no science behind that.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Ya know..be happy you're in the NHL.

Every time I see words to this effect, I wonder ... Does this only apply to unsigned rookie players? Should they be perpetually grateful beyond the first contract or only on the first?

If instead of an ELC max they offered league minimum should he still be grateful to just be playing?

Yes players should be happy to play in the NHL to a degree, but that doesn't mean they should just give all the power to the teams. It all just smacks a little of jealousy every time I hear someone say it.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia

-Cutter Gauthier at age 16 had been in front of more cameras than I have in my entire life. Do I think he’s capable of standing in front of a camera and explaining what happened? Yes. He’s given 50, maybe even 100+ interviews in his career and somehow has managed to get through them all and acquit himself fairly well. I don’t think he’d all the sudden forget how to speak. Dumb argument. But also, it doesn’t have to be a TV interview. He could release a full prepared statement. He could agree to an interview via texts, where his agent or a PR team is aiding in the answers. This is a really poor attempt at an excuse.

-I don’t expect him to come crawling on his hands and knees lol. I have said multiple times that he owes me / the Flyers fan base nothing. At the same time, Flyers fans owe him nothing. The boos and the dislike are gonna continue if the status quo stays.

-At the same time, of course, I am curious to know the truth. I would like to know the full truth.

-I’m one of the few moderates in the fan base. Most flyers fans either think Cutter is 1-2 steps removed from a serial killer or think the Flyers are incompetent and want to give Gauthier the keys to the city for embarrassing them. I’d like to hear the truth before I fully judge, but I agree with you, I think the flyers are lying, I think they failed to burn a year off his ELC as promised and that combined with the organizational chaos destroyed the relationship. And I think there’s a good number of Flyers fans who if they heard that from CG would shift their anger towards Briere/Jones/Hilferty.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I’d like to hear the truth before I fully judge, but I agree with you, I think the flyers are lying, I think they failed to burn a year off his ELC as promised and that combined with the organizational chaos destroyed the relationship. And I think there’s a good number of Flyers fans who if they heard that from CG would shift their anger towards Briere/Jones/Hilferty.

It's still the most likely explanation, but even if true I wouldn't necessarily think badly of anyone. It's significant money for the player, but even though we might pooh pooh overages and a few million for a team, it's perfectly valid for them as well. That's just a simple non-agreement in business, it happens. But I would also understand why the Flyers wouldn't want to admit to it. And again, while this is the most likely explanation, we still don't know for sure.

The one statement from his agent that it was something to do with the family is very strange though. I don't want to speculate, but if it is true, and the Flyers would rather play dumb and not talk about it... well that just can't be anything good.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
It's still the most likely explanation, but even if true I wouldn't necessarily think badly of anyone. It's significant money for the player, but even though we might pooh pooh overages and a few million for a team, it's perfectly valid for them as well. That's just a simple non-agreement in business, it happens. But I would also understand why the Flyers wouldn't want to admit to it. And again, while this is the most likely explanation, we still don't know for sure.

The one statement from his agent that it was something to do with the family is very strange though. I don't want to speculate, but if it is true, and the Flyers would rather play dumb and not talk about it... well that just can't be anything good.
I think it would just highlight what a shitshow we were organizationally.

We’re in a rebuild but we’re scared of cap overages?

We would’ve had no overages if we successfully moved JVR at the deadline btw.

While I love how Drysdale looks so far, there’s no doubt we got less value than we should’ve/would’ve for a fully signed CG. Let’s call it Flyers getting 85-90 cents on the dollar? If the Flyers decision making led to that devaluation of our 2nd best prospect (he was actually our best prospect/asset when this was going down), then I’d absolute blame them.

All of CG’s sides statements on this have been weird IMO. Why talk just to say nothing?

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
H
He got his trade though right? He's a free man. So...

But whether or not the Flyers played this over cautiously, they did love the Player. And the player didn't communicate with them.
He got his trade, but not what he wanted.

I don’t know and won’t pretend to, but his agent is a professional and would have intervened if the kid was being silly. I would guess what happened was he told them through his agent and they wanted to try and talk him out of it and he refused. Again, if someone potentially cost me millions and didn’t live up to what was promised, I would not have given them the time of day either, they done wasted enough of his time and it was time for them to understand. I suspect this was a mistake made by an inexperienced management team. The best lessons in life are usually the ones that hurt the most.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
See Flyers fans and all other fanbases it sucks and hurts when players reject your team. And don’t act like this vitriolic response by the Flyers fanbase wouldn’t happen in other cities as well. Welcome to the existence of the Edmonton Oilers for 40 f***in years. Keep telling us we don’t “deserve” the picks we’ve gotten through years of painful seasons and shit hockey when we DIDNT tank once and tried every f***in year to do things the right way in this League, literally the ONLY way for us to get top end talent and ONLY way we have chance to compete. Oh and the incessant McDavid and Draisaitl “need to leave” Edmonton narrative during their MAX TERM contracts is a f***in trash take to have too.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I think it would just highlight what a shitshow we were organizationally.

We’re in a rebuild but we’re scared of cap overages?

We would’ve had no overages if we successfully moved JVR at the deadline btw.

Just speculating here, but what if they genuinely thought he wasn't quite ready, that he needed at least a year in the AHL? Now the difference is not just burn/not burn year 1, but that first year being down in the minors on a two-way contract, no? It's already a difference of millions, now we'd be tacking on another several hundred thousand.

I guess at that point the criticism would be on their initial evaluation of him at the draft, but they could always blame the previous GM.

All of CG’s sides statements on this have been weird IMO. Why talk just to say nothing?

I guess at the very least they denied the Hayes and Torts rumors. Which I have no problem with, keeping people who have nothing to do with it out of it.

I suspect we won't likely hear for a long time what it was. Maybe once there's some sort of regime change with the Flyers or Gauthier is done playing, but even then it depends on what it was.

Reactions: FromOyVey2Matvei
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino