Post-Game Talk: An unenthusiastic PGT - Predators 6, Jets 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I didn't say Helle should have been pulled or not start. Simply stated it was possible if he started that with the Jets scoring 5 it was entirely plausible he could have won the game which is contrary to what another poster stated.
Oh ok
I agree with you on that.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Amidst the raging forest fire of hot takes, this made me laugh. No idea why, but it did.

It made me laugh as well - but you know the comment was aimed at a certain section of posters that want to "manage our trees"- and their very biased and relentless.:)

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I like the part where they only people who quoted my post gave snarky and sarcastic answers. Now, will somebody actually tell me if Enstrom play tonight or not? I didn't watch the game.

Enstrom didn't play, although he had been expected to.

TSN was covering the Stastny deal & went to Winnipeg for comments the moment the trade went down.

While they waited for practice to end, Toby blocked a shot. TSN immediately turned on their cameras & Toby was seen being helped off the ice. TSN commentators then speculated it was a season ending injury. Usually leaps in reasoning like that are reserved to hfboards/jets.

With that said, once off the ice Toby was immediately seen walking on his own to the dressing room & while doing so breaking his stick in disgust. Being allowed to walk on his own should insinuate that the injury isn't being seen as serious. To my knowledge no one has stated exactly where he was hit with the puck.

A few minutes later following practice Maurice was questioned about Toby & said it was noting serious, it was simply a blocked shot & expected Toby to be fine.

Although he didn't play last night, Toby is now listed day to day. I'm just catching up & pages behind in todays information. Perhaps there was an update this afternoon?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
You don't see charts like this very often. Could probably replay the 3rd from the 5-3 point 100 times without losing

IMG_6091.png

Two goals up with 15% of the game left has historically been about a 95% chance of winning, so you're not off by much.

Two great teams in what was essentially a 50-50 game. Sample size of one with obvious variance given we carried the balance of the play. Bad things to learn from and good things to build on. Team remains one of the cup favorites, if not the cup favorite.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
They appeared to be on fire because they were given easier matchups.

People expect the scheifele line to play against the best lines in the NHL night in and night out and never get hemmed in their own zone, never look "bad" defensively. It's totally unrealistic.
You are simply wrong here. Stastny’s line played in fact the most minutes against Josi in that game. Despite that Josi achieved not even a single point against Stastny’s line. Guess how many goals were scored against the first and the second line when Josi played against them? Well, it was two goals scored against Wheeler then and also two goals scored against Little, when Josi was on the ice. Neither Wheeler nor Little were on the ice on 5 on 5 play when the Jets scored against Josi. Comparably Laine was on the ice when the Jets scored one 5 on 5 goal against Josi, and no goals were scored against the Jets at all when Laine was on the ice. Interesting thing is that Wheeler played 5:01 minutes against Josi, Little played 6:22 against Josi, and Laine played 7:01 against Josi.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Oh please. Hutch sucks. Accept it. Seriously. K. Well i see how this is gonna be now on here... OMG we lost the sky is falling.. So take it easy k. Im out of here until Friday

I just don't understand how you can make a comment like that 420 ?? Facts are

1) Last season, both Helle and Hutch equally sucked.

2) This year-- Helle's generally played great approx .922 SP% except for a couple games, and one of them was against the Preds ( 2 bad soft goals)- 1- right thru his pads.

3) Hutch- won his last 2 starts for the Jets and had the "highest" goaltender Save % in the AHL -- how can you say he sucks--makes no sense to me ??

I'd like to see Hutch start a game, like vs Detroit and see how he does-and so would many others, and let Helle get his head together.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Set Helle's supposedly soft game aside for a moment. We didn't deserve to win that game.

Stats source is naturalstattrick.com. The Preds had 14 High Danger Chances For, compared to our 9.

upload_2018-2-28_15-52-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-28_15-48-7.png
    upload_2018-2-28_15-48-7.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 1

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I know this sentiment is not popular here but Perrault has not been good for awhile. He was at his best on the fourth line playing against weaker players. Maybe coach can revisit that somehow.

I have also noticed Perrault has not been that good lately ?? -- he seems to have lulls where his play declines.

With Stastny now here- I think you may see that line bumped up to # 2 and the Little, Roslo, Perrault line slotted in as the 3rd line.

Looks like this Stastny is a real good fit, and he has chemistry with Laine, and Ehlers.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Set Helle's supposedly soft game aside for a moment. We didn't deserve to win that game.

Stats source is naturalstattrick.com. The Preds had 14 High Danger Chances For, compared to our 9.

View attachment 101341

Only 3 HDCF in periods 2 & 3. Jets had 7 over that time. All it does is support the fact that we had poor goaltending

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Where do you come up with this? How do you know they could have handled any line? CSW was struggling defensively? Josi killed just about everyone he was on the ice against last night.

Myers/Kuli, Chiarot/Morrow and Helle were struggling defensively, that was the story of the game. My only question for Maurice was why he even bothered with 7-70 in the last 9 minutes up by 2. Probably because the only reliable pair all night were 33-44. Missing 2 of your top 4 D and your best shutdown C is going to hurt against one of he top 2 teams in the league. Maurice can't do much about that.
Josi played the most against exactly Stastny’s line. And as we all know (or at least all of us should know) that no goals were scored against that line at all. So for sure Josi was not killing everyone last night. Josi was just absolutely butchering the Jets 1st and 2nd lines both. Stastny’s line won their game against Josi 1-0 on 5 on 5 hockey.

Reactions: Scheifelaine
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

I just don't understand how you can make a comment like that 420 ?? Facts are

1) Last season, both Helle and Hutch equally sucked.

2) This year-- Helle's generally played great approx .922 SP% except for a couple games, and one of them was against the Preds ( 2 bad soft goals)- 1- right thru his pads.

3) Hutch- won his last 2 starts for the Jets and had the "highest" goaltender Save % in the AHL -- how can you say he sucks--makes no sense to me ??

I'd like to see Hutch start a game, like vs Detroit and see how he does-and so would many others, and let Helle get his head together.

Hutch is clearly having a great season & is doing so based on playing heavy minutes in the AHL. Every time he's given significant playing time he demonstrates the ability to be a quality #1.

Unfortunately for Hutch, Bucky is the Jets #1. So who's a better #2, Hutch or Mason?

Hutchinson has never once shown the ability to be a reliable #2. It's a different mindset being a backup & I don't think he's up to the task. Cut his minutes & his game goes down the tubes. Best thing for the Jets, for Hutch & for our prospects playing for the Moose is to return him to the AHL where he'll stay until an injury occurs. If that injury is to Bucky, I could easily see Hutch getting recalled & given the reigns over Mason.

In the interim, I refer Mason on the big club & getting 1-2 starts every 5-6 games with Hutch on the Moose getting as much work as he can handle.

At seasons end Hutch will be gone to find success elsewhere. Hope it works out for him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Pretty timely tweet by Garret. The best D is to have zone time and prevent the opposition from having the puck

There is truth to that but it doesn't tell the whole story. The second part of that is that you will always have times in the game where you do not possess the puck and what you do in those moments also have a huge impact.

The Jets have been much better at possessing the puck, being aggressive and pinching is a big part of it. The Jets were not good when they did not have the puck, which is why we lost last night (besides Hellebuyck's poor game).

Normally, the Jets are better without the puck and that is part of the reason why we've been more successful this year (along with the increased puck possession time).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Josi played the most against exactly Stastny’s line. And as we all know (or at least all of us should know) that no goals were scored against that line at all. So for sure Josi was not killing everyone last night. Josi was just absolutely butchering the Jets 1st and 2nd lines both. Stastny’s line won their game against Josi 1-0 on 5 on 5 hockey.

Wrong again. Josi played pretty much a three way split against Scheifele Little & Stastny lines a little less against Scheifele. He did not play mostly against Stastny's line. He did play a lot against Kulikov & Myers though and that was pretty significant IMO

IMG_0606.png

Reactions: Mathmew Purrrr Oh

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
I think, for myself, the best way to describe this game was that we beat ourselves. From the terrible decision to challenge the 2nd goal, to the defensive breakdown's and shaky goal tending. So, I take a look at this game and realize that we could have easily won this game without Enstrom, Lowry and Trouba. Of course those 3 players help you lock down when you have multiple two goal leads, but I think it's rather encouraging how many mistakes we made and still just barely lost.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Wrong again. Josi played pretty much a three way split against Scheifele Little & Stastny lines a little less against Scheifele. He did not play mostly against Stastny's line. He did play a lot against Kulikov & Myers though and that was pretty significant IMO

IMG_0606.png
Well, Naturalstattrick lists 5 on 5 ice times against Josi like this for the Jets top three lines:

Connor 5:10, Scheifele 6:21, Wheeler 5:01

Perreault 6:57, Little 6:22, Roslovic 7:07

Ehlers 6:36, Stastny 6:28, Laine 7:01

So clearly the first line played less against Josi than the 2nd and 3rd line. Sure, Little’s line played after all a bit more against Josi than Stastny’s line, but there the difference is really small (only 21 seconds in fact, while the 1st line played in fact 3 minutes and 33 seconds less against Josi than the 3rd line). And Laine was still playing the second most against Josi of all the players in the Jets top three lines.

Also nothing changes in that, that Stastny’s line won against Josi their game 1-0. While Wheeler and Little both lost their game against Josi 0-2.

If you want to argue the minutes that I posted, please contact Naturalstattrick.com ...

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Well, Naturalstattrick lists 5 on 5 ice times against Josi like this for the Jets top three lines:

Connor 5:10, Scheifele 6:21, Wheeler 5:01

Perreault 6:57, Little 6:22, Roslovic 7:07

Ehlers 6:36, Stastny 6:28, Laine 7:01

So clearly the first line played less against Josi than the 2nd and 3rd line. Sure, Little’s line played after all a bit more against Josi than Stastny’s line, but there the differences is really small. And Laine was still playing the second most against Josi of all the players in the Jets top three lines.

Also nothing changes in that, that Stastny’s line won against Josi their game 1-0. While Wheeler and Little both lost their game against Josi 0-2.

If you want to argue the minutes that I posted, please contact Naturalstattrick.com ...

Seems to me you're doing a splendid job arguing against yourself on your own.:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad