Post-Game Talk: An unenthusiastic PGT - Predators 6, Jets 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
As long as you appreciate this is the exact opposite on how we want Chevy, Maurice and all members of the team to react. Professionals need to smooth out the highs and lows. Good stuff happens and bad stuff happens. You learn from went right and you learn even more from went wrong and you move forward.

Oh certainly for the best. But as a fan, I'm allowed to be an emotional basket case.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I completely agree. But, I am willing to ride the ride as far as it will go before Mo is scrapped. I like winning, but, I don't we win the cup with him as coach. I would much rather Roslo Stastny and Laine as our second line. After all, Ehlers for some reason thinks he is the star on that line instead of Laine.

The anti Ehlers comments are getting absurd....

And you want Mo scrapped? Are you kidding me?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Jets were at home and get to choose the matchup for the most part. Interestingly Subban the teams top point getter and usual offensive catalyst was kept off the score sheet playing the most minutes against Scheifele's line. Either way this discussion is feeling old and I just jumped into it. Under no circumstances is the 19 y/o Laine going to be matched up against the other teams top lines. All season long they have tried to shelter him and give him the most offensive opportunities possible while trying to give him easier defensive assignments. If anything you will see more and more of this once we are in the playoffs.

I realize PGT are pretty wide open, but it sure would be great to contain the Laine is everything and all decisions should be made in Laine's best interest talk to a single thread so people can avoid the discussion. In all honesty people want to love the kid, but this just makes it harder to do so. I mostly ignore Laine talk because I really like him and want to continue liking him.

I agree with the bolded.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
The Preds had 14 High Danger Chances For. The Jets had 9. The Preds had over 50% more High Danger Chances For. They had better Corsi numbers as well.

Or do we now judge games only on the periods that WE want to count?

Well we had 39 shots compared to their 32.

Out of curiosity do high danger chances actually have to result shots on goal to be counted or is a shot attempt enough?

Game looked like it was pretty even to me.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
You can call it lucky, but garbage goals win Stanley Cups. Not saying that Nashville is winning the cup this year, but you can't always rely on your top guys to finish a nice tic-tac-toe play. Sometimes it's gotta be ugly, and sometimes your ugly players score nice tic-tac-toe goals like Hendrick's last night.

I was really hoping the Jets were going to shoot more in the third period. Nashville scored a few goals from screens and scrambles just by shooting from a low percentage place. We tend to lose possession sometimes by NOT getting a shot on net and instead shooting into the corner. I know they are trying to maintain possession, but sometimes you just need to keep getting pucks on the net with someone out front. Especially in a game like that against a team like that.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Well we had 39 shots compared to their 32.

Out of curiosity do high danger chances actually have to result shots on goal to be counted or is a shot attempt enough?

Game looked like it was pretty even to me.

Shot attempt

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
3 major deficits, all self inflicted, cost us this game.

- pairing of Kulikov and Myers was awful. Myers played as bad a game as I have seen a Jets D play, including Stuart' s history. He stood still half the time, allowed 50/50 pucks to go uncontested, and was out of position the entire night. Hope he was sick, or else I have major concern heading down the stretch.

- Helly played below average. He had an off night, which can be expected for a goalie we are riding as heavily as we are.

- Coaching. Bad challenge directly costed us. Playing our worst pair defense with a minute left, when you witnessed their struggles all night. No reason that pair should have seen the ice in the last 3 to 4 minutes.

All three are fixable. Other than those three aspects, we matched up nicely with the Preds, and thought we held the upper hand throughout the night.

This lost might serve more purpose to our team than had we beaten them by 3 or 4 goals. Its a punch in the nose, that should have our team in a bad mood, and ready to go next time we meet.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
listening to Hendricks post game interviews and all of his soundbites really, does anybody else see him as a future coach? I think he has a great hockey mind and is really well spoken, super impressed by everything he says.

Love to see him brought on board as a coach next year beginning in some facet with the Moose.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
3 major deficits, all self inflicted, cost us this game.

- pairing of Kulikov and Myers was awful. Myers played as bad a game as I have seen a Jets D play, including Stuart' s history. He stood still half the time, allowed 50/50 pucks to go uncontested, and was out of position the entire night. Hope he was sick, or else I have major concern heading down the stretch.

- Helly played below average. He had an off night, which can be expected for a goalie we are riding as heavily as we are.

- Coaching. Bad challenge directly costed us. Playing our worst pair defense with a minute left, when you witnessed their struggles all night. No reason that pair should have seen the ice in the last 3 to 4 minutes.

All three are fixable. Other than those three aspects, we matched up nicely with the Preds, and thought we held the upper hand throughout the night.

This lost might serve more purpose to our team than had we beaten them by 3 or 4 goals. Its a punch in the nose, that should have our team in a bad mood, and ready to go next time we meet.

This goal by Myers typified his night, really soft play right near the end of a good PK. Copp providing good back pressure and Myers just lets the Preds player skate right on by and turn him, wtf? Thought this goal really sucked some life from them as much as any other.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
This goal by Myers typified his night, really soft play right near the end of a good PK. Copp providing good back pressure and Myers just lets the Preds player skate right on by and turn him, wtf? Thought this goal really sucked some life from them as much as any other.

Yep. Copp did a good job of providing pressure and funneling the forward - that should have been a very easy hit to separate the forward from the puck. Very soft play that would have turned out differently if Myers has provided even a small amount of obstruction.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

This cannot be emphasized enough. It's simple numbers. The more nights you have, the more below average nights you have, no matter how good you are. Like which is higher, 10% of 60 or 10% of 30?

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Made worse by the fact that TSN or Sportsnet, each who apparently have access to multiple viewpoints, rarely share them with viewers.

If they ever choose to, its often only after the verdict is in. If the overhead camera shows no goal, or clearly demonstrates goalie interference, why are the networks showing the same inconclusive angle as much as once, let alone again & again?

Last nights angle "proving" the play was onside was the ice level camera on the blue line. Pretty bad place for it if it's meant to establish an offside. In this case the puck carriers body totally blocked the alleged player on the LW who may have been offside. Wouldn't an elevated camera angle that didn't have it's vantage point potentially blocked by players & officials be a better option?

Further why even bother with on ice linemen, who often aren't in a proper position to make this call anyways? Tennis has line umpires on each line & are able to call a little ball moving 150km/hr from 50 feet away correctly often down to a half inch. Failing that they've had electronic line judging in use since 1974, "cyclops" since 1980, "hawk-eye" since 2000 & HD video review for over a decade that can place a ball down to 1/1000th of an inch. Very recently $199.00 "in/out" cameras are finding their way into the consumer market & onto local tennis courts.

You can't tell me the NHL is incapable of having technology developed that offers a full solution to offside rulings. Get two linemen off the ice, create more room for the players & if you really don't want to eliminate these jobs, place the linesmen in the stands, in static positions on each blue line, & where they always should have been since the two line pass was removed from the game.

EDIT: On the subject of technology, has anyone ever noticed that every time a shorthanded goal occurs, the countdown timer for the PP disappears. It's not just in these situations. In 5 on 3's with a goal scored the timer again disappears & generally isn't corrected until a stoppage occurs. There's obviously a bug in whatever software controls this. How about fixing this? We're talking about multi million dollar TV deals. Camera's used to simply be focussed on the score clock. Ever since changed this has been an issue. Over 15 seasons & over 20000 NHL games and the glitch continues. Don't fans deserve more?
Fonzy for Commish!

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Shot attempt

So with this whole HDC stat it is possible for a team to give up more scoring chances and not get "outgoalied" per say. Im guessing that point blank slot shot by the perds in the first that I believe Kuli blocked and dribbled towards Helle for a whistle counts as a HDC regardless.

Interesting stuff. I'm always learning...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Holy hell did that feel like every Anaheim playoff game.

Summarized to a tee. Jets clearly the better team and had Nashville running around a lot. Done in by bad goaltending and Nashville steals it. All good, we’ll beat them when the games start to matter. Right?!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is definitely true. And it was kind of a turning point too. But, honestly the Jets got still after that a 5-3 lead, so it could be still argued that the real turning point was after all just the sloppy defending and bad goaltending, especially in the 3rd period.

You don't seem to understand the concept of a 'turning point'. It is a single event, a moment. Not a general aspect of a game. It was not only the 2nd goal that resulted from that decision. It was the change in momentum it created.

It could certainly be argued that the Preds 4th goal was a 2nd turning point.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You don't seem to understand the concept of a 'turning point'. It is a single event, a moment. Not a general aspect of a game. It was not only the 2nd goal that resulted from that decision. It was the change in momentum it created.

It could certainly be argued that the Preds 4th goal was a 2nd turning point.
Honestly it seems that someone does not understand what a turning point is, if starts telling something about a second turning point. Oh please...

And to be still precise to you, I do understand what a turning point is. But why I exactly posted what you now quoted was exactly because in that game there was not a single incident that turned the game around. It was about bad defending and bad goaltending through the whole game. And that decided the game. Do you seriously need to be walked by hand around here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honestly it seems that someone does not understand what a turning point is, if starts telling something about a second turning point. Oh please...

There are sometimes multiple turning points in a game as momentum ebbs and flows. Sometimes there is one point that stands out above any others as the turning point. In that game it was the failed off-side challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->