Post-Game Talk: An unenthusiastic PGT - Predators 6, Jets 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Last night I took my dad to our first Jets regular season game as a gift for his retirement. It was a fun game to watch, but ultimately frustrating to watch them walk in on us and score mere seconds after us multiple times last night. It just seemed effortless for them, our team defense was just non-existent and Laine and Ehlers struggle to break out of our zone every shift. I had a good time, but if you happen to know the guy who was sitting at the top of section 119 giving a wonderfully annoying play by play of the entire game please bean bag him for me, and everyone else that had to listen to him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The Preds had 14 High Danger Chances For. The Jets had 9. The Preds had over 50% more High Danger Chances For. They had better Corsi numbers as well.

Or do we now judge games only on the periods that WE want to count?

There were no goals score in the first period correct? I was just pointing out that in the final two periods with a tie game the Jets were not outplayed. However much you think we were outplayed, according to the stats you posted it had zero impact on the score. With the game zero zero the HDCF was 7-6 Jets....,that's what I was saying. Nashville had 6 scoring chances and scored 6 goals.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
I completely agree. But, I am willing to ride the ride as far as it will go before Mo is scrapped. I like winning, but, I don't we win the cup with him as coach. I would much rather Roslo Stastny and Laine as our second line. After all, Ehlers for some reason thinks he is the star on that line instead of Laine.
Huh? So ehlers Think he is the star? Come on... is it the professor?.. Laine just Got 2 assist Because of ehlers... ( I Know he still owns Him 1 assist on the emty goal chance ;) ) finally Ehlers and Laine have Some chemistry after getting a New center and you want to split them up!! I Think Thats a bad idea..

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
There were no goals score in the first period correct? I was just pointing out that in the final two periods with a tie game the Jets were not outplayed. However much you think we were outplayed, according to the stats you posted it had zero impact on the score. With the game zero zero the HDCF was 7-6 Jets....,that's what I was saying. Nashville had 6 scoring chances and scored 6 goals.

So it sounds like for you, any periods where no goals are scored or equal goals are scored by each team - those periods have no bearing on any aspect of the game game including who is getting outplayed. Interesting position. Can't say I agree with your point of view.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I honestly believe Nashville will struggle in the playoffs. They seem to scored a high amount of "lucky" goals. I believe they'll have trouble scoring in the playoffs.

They scored some pretty weak goals yesterday. I've been watching them for awhile now, as we've been chasing them in the standings. They are often down in games and have to play comeback a lot. They usually score on weak goals.

Some puck luck comes and goes, and for them it can't come anymore than it already is.

Basically, f*** Nashville. :sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So it sounds like for you, any periods where no goals are scored or equal goals are scored by each team - those periods have no bearing on any aspect of the game game including who is getting outplayed. Interesting position. Can't say I agree with your point of view.

I didn't say what you wrote there. I only meant exactly what I said. Those are your words up there in this quote not mine. I never said that. Go back and read it again.

For me it was all about our poor goaltending, not being outplayed. The reason we lost. Although I will say our goaltender was outplayed by their goaltender but their goaltender also played poorly
Of course a goaltender is also a player.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I honestly believe Nashville will struggle in the playoffs. They seem to scored a high amount of "lucky" goals. I believe they'll have trouble scoring in the playoffs.

They scored some pretty weak goals yesterday. I've been watching them for awhile now, as we've been chasing them in the standings. They are often down in games and have to play comeback a lot. They usually score on weak goals.

Some puck luck comes and goes, and for them it can't come anymore than it already is.

Basically, f*** Nashville. :sarcasm:

You can call it lucky, but garbage goals win Stanley Cups. Not saying that Nashville is winning the cup this year, but you can't always rely on your top guys to finish a nice tic-tac-toe play. Sometimes it's gotta be ugly, and sometimes your ugly players score nice tic-tac-toe goals like Hendrick's last night.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Why did the Jets get a penalty after they challenged a goal? Chirping the ref?

It was meant to eliminate frivolous offside challenges. Last year especially in the playoffs coaches would basically use this any time they wanted a longer timeout. So they made a rule that if you challenge and are not correct you would receive a minor penalty for delay of game.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Normally I sleep it off and I get less pissed off by lunch time next day.

Nope. About to have dinner and I'm still fuming from last night. I guess it was a bit of a tease for me that's made me this upset. We should have pulled out a W last night that would have transformed, imo, the narrative behind our team and the expectations. Instead of legit possibly winning the central we now are back in a dog fight for 2nd with both Dallas and Old Dallas barking up our rear ends.

Man. Call a f***ing time out. Pull the goaltender. Don't make a terrible offside call and then take no responsibility for it. I've never watched a game where a head coach so thoroughly sabotaged his own team.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You are simply wrong here. Stastny’s line played in fact the most minutes against Josi in that game. Despite that Josi achieved not even a single point against Stastny’s line. Guess how many goals were scored against the first and the second line when Josi played against them? Well, it was two goals scored against Wheeler then and also two goals scored against Little, when Josi was on the ice. Neither Wheeler nor Little were on the ice on 5 on 5 play when the Jets scored against Josi. Comparably Laine was on the ice when the Jets scored one 5 on 5 goal against Josi, and no goals were scored against the Jets at all when Laine was on the ice. Interesting thing is that Wheeler played 5:01 minutes against Josi, Little played 6:22 against Josi, and Laine played 7:01 against Josi.
Why are you talking about Josi a defensemen as none of the forward lines were matched against him. The top 3 lines actually got pretty close to even time against him. The Jets forward lines were matched against the Preds forward lines. Scheifele against Johansen, Little against Turris and Stasny against Bonino. Since we were at home and Lowry is out these were matched hard by Maurice.

BTW Josi was mostly matched against Myers and Kulikov not any of the forward lines. looks to me Nashville was trying to exploit a defensive weakness that had nothing to do with the forward lines.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

That's only true if it favors the Jets. If it doesn't favor the Jets, it's the opposite.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Why are you talking about Josi a defensemen as none of the forward lines were matched against him. The top 3 lines actually got pretty close to even time against him. The Jets forward lines were matched against the Preds forward lines. Scheifele against Johansen, Little against Turris and Stasny against Bonino. Since we were at home and Lowry is out these were matched hard by Maurice.

BTW Josi was mostly matched against Myers and Kulikov not any of the forward lines. looks to me Nashville was trying to exploit a defensive weakness that had nothing to do with the forward lines.
Because Josi was still very efficient against the top two lines of the Jets, and not at all against the third line. It is still more the forwards job to cover the offensive defencemen that the opponents have, so in that the two top lines failed miserably, but the third line did after all perfectly. And still, Bonino was at least previously this season in charge of the shutdown line that Nashville had. So was Maurice then playing the third line intentionally against Nashville’s shutdown line? I think that is something that Nashville might want to happen anyway at the moment, as the Jets first line is anyway that poor defensively, that it is the best bet for the opponent to play the most offensive line against them.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Because Josi was still very efficient against the top two lines of the Jets, and not at all against the third line. It is still more the forwards job to cover the offensive defencemen that the opponents have, so in that the two top lines failed miserably, but the third line did after all perfectly. And still, Bonino was at least previously this season in charge of the shutdown line that Nashville had. So was Maurice then playing the third line intentionally against Nashville’s shutdown line? I think that is something that Nashville might want to happen anyway at the moment, as the Jets first line is anyway that poor defensively, that it is the best bet for the opponent to play the most offensive line against them.
Interesting that. After all, the third line is often our weakest line unable to get the puck out past their blue line. Especially with Copp with Stastny they were a bit better, but, I don't know if its really fair to blame Mo for having those thoughts at the back of his mind.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets were at home and get to choose the matchup for the most part. Interestingly Subban the teams top point getter and usual offensive catalyst was kept off the score sheet playing the most minutes against Scheifele's line. Either way this discussion is feeling old and I just jumped into it. Under no circumstances is the 19 y/o Laine going to be matched up against the other teams top lines. All season long they have tried to shelter him and give him the most offensive opportunities possible while trying to give him easier defensive assignments. If anything you will see more and more of this once we are in the playoffs.

I realize PGT are pretty wide open, but it sure would be great to contain the Laine is everything and all decisions should be made in Laine's best interest talk to a single thread so people can avoid the discussion. In all honesty people want to love the kid, but this just makes it harder to do so. I mostly ignore Laine talk because I really like him and want to continue liking him.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Normally I sleep it off and I get less pissed off by lunch time next day.

Nope. About to have dinner and I'm still fuming from last night. I guess it was a bit of a tease for me that's made me this upset. We should have pulled out a W last night that would have transformed, imo, the narrative behind our team and the expectations. Instead of legit possibly winning the central we now are back in a dog fight for 2nd with both Dallas and Old Dallas barking up our rear ends.

Man. Call a ****ing time out. Pull the goaltender. Don't make a terrible offside call and then take no responsibility for it. I've never watched a game where a head coach so thoroughly sabotaged his own team.

Holy smokes step back from the ledge lol

The trade transformed the narrative and expectations of the team. And last night did nothing to show we won't beat any team in the league.

Edit: that was a brutal challenge by Maurice. But thoroughly sabatoged is quite the overkill :laugh:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Thought Laine looked really good yesterday. Him and Ehlers were flying... Made several amazing passes and was solid in the D zone... As solid as a pure goal scoring winger can be. Not sure what ppl expect from Laine. Hes 19 and was drafted for his ability to score not play D. Hes improved his D game lots tho.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

A breakaway doesnt count as a high scoring chance cuz they had 1 of those and Helle made the save. Theres some odd logic in there if breakaways dont equal high danger

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Holy smokes step back from the ledge lol

The trade transformed the narrative and expectations of the team. And last night did nothing to show we won't beat any team in the league.

Edit: that was a brutal challenge by Maurice. But thoroughly sabatoged is quite the overkill :laugh:
I live on the edge of fandom. Lifes too short for half measures. Each win is a powerful orgasm; each loss a nail in the foot.

GO JETS.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
A breakaway doesnt count as a high scoring chance cuz they had 1 of those and Helle made the save. Theres some odd logic in there if breakaways dont equal high danger

HDCF are not subjective. If a shot attempt is taken from the danger zone it counts if no attempt is taken or it's taken from outside the danger zone it does not.

What makes you think it wasn't high danger?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I live on the edge of fandom. Lifes too short for half measures. Each win is a powerful orgasm; each loss a nail in the foot.

GO JETS.
Lol
You are true to yourself for sure that’s a high character trait in my books.
I didn’t lose sleep over the loss.
We all had high expectations and you what happens when you do...
We are going to be a bear to play against in the playoffs.
Bring it on !

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
That was a brutal challenge by Maurice.

Made worse by the fact that TSN or Sportsnet, each who apparently have access to multiple viewpoints, rarely share them with viewers.

If they ever choose to, its often only after the verdict is in. If the overhead camera shows no goal, or clearly demonstrates goalie interference, why are the networks showing the same inconclusive angle as much as once, let alone again & again?

Last nights angle "proving" the play was onside was the ice level camera on the blue line. Pretty bad place for it if it's meant to establish an offside. In this case the puck carriers body totally blocked the alleged player on the LW who may have been offside. Wouldn't an elevated camera angle that didn't have it's vantage point potentially blocked by players & officials be a better option?

Further why even bother with on ice linemen, who often aren't in a proper position to make this call anyways? Tennis has line umpires on each line & are able to call a little ball moving 150km/hr from 50 feet away correctly often down to a half inch. Failing that they've had electronic line judging in use since 1974, "cyclops" since 1980, "hawk-eye" since 2000 & HD video review for over a decade that can place a ball down to 1/1000th of an inch. Very recently $199.00 "in/out" cameras are finding their way into the consumer market & onto local tennis courts.

You can't tell me the NHL is incapable of having technology developed that offers a full solution to offside rulings. Get two linemen off the ice, create more room for the players & if you really don't want to eliminate these jobs, place the linesmen in the stands, in static positions on each blue line, & where they always should have been since the two line pass was removed from the game.

EDIT: On the subject of technology, has anyone ever noticed that every time a shorthanded goal occurs, the countdown timer for the PP disappears. It's not just in these situations. In 5 on 3's with a goal scored the timer again disappears & generally isn't corrected until a stoppage occurs. There's obviously a bug in whatever software controls this. How about fixing this? We're talking about multi million dollar TV deals. Camera's used to simply be focussed on the score clock. Ever since changed this has been an issue. Over 15 seasons & over 20000 NHL games and the glitch continues. Don't fans deserve more?

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I have to wonder about all these so called concussions here Ducky ?? When hockey was played in the 70's and 80's --there was never anyone out with a "concussion." Nobody ever died from any of these ??

Also back in the 50's and 60's guys played Goal with "no face mask"- and also got hit in the face--nobody died.

I think their being to soft on these concussions--that's my opinion.

It's tough to know where to draw the line on these types of things ?? I wonder if some players take advantage of this protocol a bit ??

Anyways, play Hutch against the Wings this Friday-is my call.
It sounds like you are an ostrich with his head in the sand when it comes to concussions.
No way I would play him against Detroit.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

GO JETS.
As long as you appreciate this is the exact opposite on how we want Chevy, Maurice and all members of the team to react. Professionals need to smooth out the highs and lows. Good stuff happens and bad stuff happens. You learn from went right and you learn even more from went wrong and you move forward.

Reactions: thereturn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->