American Prospect Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The All Star rosters are posted. They don't include the players in todays final.

Surprised to see no Brandon Shea or Chase De Leo. For the US to compete with Canada, I was hoping they'd take as many CHL and USHL players as possible.

Sounds like Matt Weis and Justin Bailey are two of the most in demand 95s out there. NTDP, USHL and OHL all courting them.

seems like they left off some pretty talented kids....

I really dont understand how Chase De Leo does not make this squad....kid is going to be one heck of a player...just dont get that one

Not sure why they would even invite Shea if they had no intention of him making this team...from what I heard he did pretty well there and should have made this squad, but again with the way he handled his USNDP offer, it doesnt surprise me that he didnt make it.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
I really dont understand how Chase De Leo does not make this squad....kid is going to be one heck of a player...just dont get that one

First off, I really liked De Leo's game back when he played for LA. Very skilled and fleet. Secondly, he's not draft eligible next year which may or may not play into it. Who knows what USAH thinks any more.

That said - and I haven't seen him play since he went to the Winterhawks - he never did have much of an edge and he seemed to lose poise when pressured. From what I have HEARD, his poise has gotten somewhat better but he still hasn't accepted the physical nature of the game and from what I heard, there was some pretty physcial play in Rochester.

Also, if it comes to an LA kid or a MN kid, the MN kid is going to win that spot.

Just a guess, mind you.

DS1456Hockey

May 27, 2012
Buffalo NY
seems like they left off some pretty talented kids....

Not sure why they would even invite Shea if they had no intention of him making this team...from what I heard he did pretty well there and should have made this squad, but again with the way he handled his USNDP offer, it doesnt surprise me that he didnt make it.

They could pick another team from the players who DID NOT make the IH team and could give the U18 selects a run. Some great players selected but IMO they didn't pick all the best players available. Shea, De Leo, Eiserman, McGlynn, Madsen, Raskob, Hurley, Vanderwiel, Galt, Betz, Gross all could make this team better.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
pulled this from a Michigan board
----------------------------------------------

From Michigan: In regards to the latest rumor regarding Jacob Trouba and his playing status for next season, the Trouba family would like to emphatically deny any insinuation that the Kitchener Rangers have offered a financial package to Jacob.

"There is absolutely no truth or merit to the recent media reports that the Kitchener Rangers have offered Jacob any remuneration. We have the utmost respect for the Kitchener Rangers and those that choose the CHL as an option, but Jacob will be attending the University of Michigan next fall as a student athlete."

Last edited:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
His family has debunked the rumor of him going to Kitchener, but this is the part I found interesting from the original report:

Regardless of where Trouba ends up, Kitchener or Michigan, the source says the defenseman will spend two years before progressing to the NHL, where he will be an “elite player.”

I could definitely see him going pro after two years, but that is such a specific detail to speculate on.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
His family has debunked the rumor of him going to Kitchener, but this is the part I found interesting from the original report:

I could definitely see him going pro after two years, but that is such a specific detail to speculate on.

I'd be shocked if Trouba played any more than two seasons with us, and I don't think the coaches expect anything more. Jacob said on draft night, it's a year by year thing. I personally expect him to play the same two years JJ and Komo did, but one year wouldn't shock me either.

I'm just happy he will be here this fall, and we'll go from there.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I'd be shocked if Trouba played any more than two seasons with us, and I don't think the coaches expect anything more. Jacob said on draft night, it's a year by year thing. I personally expect him to play the same two years JJ and Komo did, but one year wouldn't shock me either.

Same with me. I can't wait to see him in Ann Arbor!!!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Two years seems about right.

MetalGodAOD*

Jack Campbell told reporters he grew 2 inches and put on 15 pounds this season. In the Stars' development camp today he is now listed as 6'4, 200 lbs.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
pulled this from a Michigan board
----------------------------------------------

From Michigan: In regards to the latest rumor regarding Jacob Trouba and his playing status for next season, the Trouba family would like to emphatically deny any insinuation that the Kitchener Rangers have offered a financial package to Jacob.

"There is absolutely no truth or merit to the recent media reports that the Kitchener Rangers have offered Jacob any remuneration. We have the utmost respect for the Kitchener Rangers and those that choose the CHL as an option, but Jacob will be attending the University of Michigan next fall as a student athlete."

http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports/article/757933--rangers-sue-michigan-student-newspaper-reporter

Rangers sue Michigan student newspaper, reporter

KITCHENER — The Kitchener Rangers are taking action against a Michigan student newspaper and one of its reporters after a story surfaced alleging the team had offered to pay to bring a player to the club.

“It’s not a threat anymore,†said Rangers chief operating officer Steve Bienkowski. “We served the newspaper and the writer there to either back it up or retract it.â€

At issue is a story that appeared in TheMichigan DailyWednesday that alleged, through an unnamed source, that the Rangers had offered defenceman Jacob Trouba $200,000 in lieu of an education package to play in Kitchener.

Bienkowski said the University of Michigan student newspaper and reporter Matt Slovin had until Monday to respond. The club did not hear back as of Monday evening.

Daily editor-in-chief Jacob Axelrad said he couldn’t comment. When asked if he still stands by the story, which remained on the paper’s website Monday, he hung up the telephone.

“Our intent is that we will file a statement of claim for damages,†said Bienkowski, who retained Blakes law firm hours after the story was published. “We have to look at every option we have. Where it ends up, who knows?â€

The Rangers drafted Trouba two years ago in the third round of the Ontario Hockey League draft. The Michigan native played for USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program the past two years but is slated to dress for the University of Michigan on an athletic scholarship next season.

Trouba has said multiple times that he intends to honour his NCAA commitment. His family released a statement in light of the Daily story denying “any insinuation that the Kitchener Rangers have offered a financial package to Jacob.â€

The 18-year-old was selected ninth overall by the Winnipeg Jets in last month’s NHL draft. If the blueliner, who is currently at the Jets’ rookie development camp, inks a pro deal, it will nullify his NCAA eligibility.

Bienkowski vehemently denied the claims made by the Daily and said he couldn’t hide that kind of a transaction, even if he wanted to.

“We present our audited financial statements every year,†he said. “We don’t have subsidiary companies or other businesses.â€

It’s not the first time the Rangers have been accused of paying to attract players. Three years ago, Notre Dame head coach Jeff Jackson told The Record he heard the Rangers offered $500,000 to American rearguard Cam Fowler, who had committed to attend the school.

Fowler’s family denied the allegations but the damage was done. Bienkowski said, in the wake of reports, that the defenceman cancelled meetings with the Rangers and the club was forced to put him back into the OHL draft. Windsor scooped him up and the Michigan native played one season with the Spitfires and never attended Notre Dame.

“By people out there saying whatever the hell they want, with not having to back it up and hiding behind sources, that damaged us,†said Bienkowski.

“I don’t take it personal but it’s frustrating. You work pretty hard to build what we think is an outstanding reputation in the CHL and thenyou have all this sort of stuff.â€

[email protected]

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I am not a lawyer, I can't comment on the lawsuit, but these kinds of things wouldn't happen if teams like Windsor and Kitchener wouldn't keep hounding these kids after they have signed National LOI's, and even after they have taken to the ice, like Warren Rychel going full court press to get Phil Di Guiseppe to quit school and play for the Spits while he was home on Christmas vacation this season. Speaking of Rychel, would love to hear his opinions on this matter, but he is probably to busy trying to flip Jordan Schultz by telling him education isn't important and four year college players don't make the NHL.

“I don’t take it personal but it’s frustrating. You work pretty hard to build what we think is an outstanding reputation in the CHL and then you have all this sort of stuff.â€

LOL, these guys are just so hilarious and full of themselves. The OHL "Draft" and the QMJHL's history of enabling Mem. Cup teams to stack their roster must be fine examples of their "reputation". Or how they are looking out whats best for the kids, yet their greed prevents guys like Brandon Gormley or Austin Watson who put in three previous seasons in the CHL from earning a living in the AHL and possibly being called up to the NHL.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Jack Campbell told reporters he grew 2 inches and put on 15 pounds this season. In the Stars' development camp today he is now listed as 6'4, 200 lbs.

Maybe it will enable him to actually stop the puck this season in the AHL or ECHL or wherever the Stars send him.

I had extremely high hopes for this kid, he was one of the best goaltenders to ever come through the NTDP, starred in the WJC as a 17 year old and then just toally lost his game.

I don't know enough about goaltending to know if was a physical or mental issue, but man it's amazing how far this kid has fallen.

MetalGodAOD*

Maybe it will enable him to actually stop the puck this season in the AHL or ECHL or wherever the Stars send him.

I had extremely high hopes for this kid, he was one of the best goaltenders to ever come through the NTDP, starred in the WJC as a 17 year old and then just toally lost his game.

I don't know enough about goaltending to know if was a physical or mental issue, but man it's amazing how far this kid has fallen.

He was the best player for the baby Stars when he came up at the end of the season. Stats in juniors really don't mean much for Goalies.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_report/2012/07/rangers-seek-1m-in-damages.html
The Kitchener Rangers are seeking $1 million in damages over a story published in a Michigan student newspaper that claimed the club offered to pay a player to suit up for the team.

The defamation suit against The Michigan Daily seeks $500,000 in general damages and $500,000 in punitive damages and was expected to be filed in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Kitchener Tuesday, according to a team lawyer.

The story, which was published last week by the University of Michigan student newspaper, alleges the Rangers offered defenceman Jacob Trouba $200,000 in place of an education package to play in Kitchener. The team and Trouba family both denied the claim.

Trouba’s OHL rights are owned by the Rangers, but the blueliner has committed to the University of Michigan on an athletic scholarship for next season. The 18-year-old was selected ninth overall by the Winnipeg Jets in last month’s NHL draft and is considered one of the top defensive prospects in his age group.

The Rangers formally requested that The Daily retract the story or issue an apology and set a Monday deadline before moving ahead with a lawsuit. As of Tuesday, the story was still on the paper’s website. Staff from the Daily said they could not comment when reached earlier this week.

Trouba has never wavered from his desire to play for the Wolverines and expressed his position to prospective NHL teams before the draft. However, if the blueliner inks a deal with the Jets he will forfeit his right to play in the NCAA as the league does not allow pro players.

WOW....$1,000,000.00!!
That would give the Rangers enough $$$$$ to go get 5 more recruits!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad