American Prospect Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Did Brandon Fortunato ('96 defenseman, committed to Harvard) get a NTDP invite?

Along with that other reply,

Scott Deady ‏@scott_deady: "guess the cat's out of the bag. congrats to advisee @BFortunato5 on being named to the USA U17 Team. couldnt be more proud. ‪#NTDP‬ ‪#isahockey‬"

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Looks like Chris Birdsall is having one hell of a U16 Developmental camp. Through 4 games he has yet to allow a goal while all other playing 4 games have allowed 5 or more. Next game he faces the tournament leading scorer in Shane Gersich though.

Yes this is a homer post but I am excited to see Birdsall in a Roughrider Uniform this year!

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Looks like Chris Birdsall is having one hell of a U16 Developmental camp. Through 4 games he has yet to allow a goal while all other playing 4 games have allowed 5 or more. Next game he faces the tournament leading scorer in Shane Gersich though.

Yes this is a homer post but I am excited to see Birdsall in a Roughrider Uniform this year!

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Shane Gersich is the nephew of Minnesota hockey legend Neal Broten.

DraftNerd

Jun 30, 2011
Omaha, NE
I believe Gerisch will be playing for Omaha next year. Hopefully he does so I can watch him. Heard nothing but good things about him.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
I believe Gerisch will be playing for Omaha next year. Hopefully he does so I can watch him. Heard nothing but good things about him.

He's playing high school hockey this upcoming year. Although I suspect he may see the occasional USHL game before or after the high school season.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I was suprised to see Gerisch was not tendered by anyone this year as he was one of the top rated '96s.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
http://metronews.ca/sports/295442/eichel-not-expected-to-join-mooseheads-next-season/

Is this just filler for a slow news day? Or has someone heard something? Sucks if true :(

To be honest he always seemed like a long shot to go to Halifax this coming season. Before Shea backed out on the NTDP last season you'd have to go all the way back to guys like Andrew Andricopoulos and Joey Ryan from the '87 group for the last time guys bolted from an NTDP spot for the Q. It just hasn't happened and I don't see why it would now, especially when you consider the fact that Q's record with putting American players into the NHL is pretty abysmal.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
To be honest he always seemed like a long shot to go to Halifax this coming season. Before Shea backed out on the NTDP last season you'd have to go all the way back to guys like Andrew Andricopoulos and Joey Ryan from the '87 group for the last time guys bolted from an NTDP spot for the Q. It just hasn't happened and I don't see why it would now, especially when you consider the fact that Q's record with putting American players into the NHL is pretty abysmal.

Any chance he shows up in 14-15 after his two years at NTDP? Late birthday so he won't go till 2015, which is nice too.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Any chance he shows up in 14-15 after his two years at NTDP? Late birthday so he won't go till 2015, which is nice too.

That's certainly been the trend amongst the late born stars from the NTDP so it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Hopefully he develops in a way where he's still considered as valuable a commodity as he is now.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

He's accelerating his schooling to play for BU as a 17 year old after his NTDP stint. That probably makes it less likely as well unless he's unsuccessful in that endeavor.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The U17 select team roster has been announced... http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/2012_FiveNationsRoster.pdf

It's pretty surprising that very few "name" players are on the roster. Blake Clarke, Keegan Iverson, Josh Jacobs, Aaron Haydon and I'm sure others that I haven't thought of off the top of my head are all missing. I really don't know what to make of the '96 group at this point.

Also, the schedules for next years NTDP teams have been released. The U18 team looks to have a very competitive NCAA schedule ahead of them.

To the poster looking to see some international hockey in Ann Arbor, the U18 team will be hosting the Four Nations Tournament from November 6th through 11th, with Sweden, Finland and Switzerland likely to be the foreign teams involved.

Also, the U17 team won't be participating in the U18 Vlad Dzurilla Tournament in February this season as they will be participating in a Five Nations tournament in Finland instead. It'll be interesting to see what other teams are involved in the tournament. I hope it will include all the top European U17 teams.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
The U17 select team roster has been announced... http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/2012_FiveNationsRoster.pdf

It's pretty surprising that very few "name" players are on the roster. Blake Clarke, Keegan Iverson, Josh Jacobs, Aaron Haydon and I'm sure others that I haven't thought of off the top of my head are all missing. I really don't know what to make of the '96 group at this point.

Also, the schedules for next years NTDP teams have been released. The U18 team looks to have a very competitive NCAA schedule ahead of them.

To the poster looking to see some international hockey in Ann Arbor, the U18 team will be hosting the Four Nations Tournament from November 6th through 11th, with Sweden, Finland and Switzerland likely to be the foreign teams involved.

Also, the U17 team won't be participating in the U18 Vlad Dzurilla Tournament in February this season as they will be participating in a Five Nations tournament in Finland instead. It'll be interesting to see what other teams are involved in the tournament. I hope it will include all the top European U17 teams.

Thinking the same thing, who are half these kids???

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I'd have to assume Clarke declined? The others are more hype than substance at this point.

That's true and that's part of what worries me with the group as a whole. Too many of the guys who've been hyped have failed to impress on the big stage. The Youth Olympics team saw a bunch of guys fall out of favor, the NTDP tryout camp was much larger than usual and now a bunch of unknowns have come out and taken spots on what's supposed to be the best of the rest outside the prior NTDP invites (Only 8 of the select team players were amongst the 53 at the NTDP camp). Furthermore, the d-men are very small as a group and the forwards mostly have very unimpressive stats within their respective leagues. It's impossible for people who aren't seeing these guys play first hand to know anything for sure but I don't ever remember seeing things be so all over the place at the same point for a US birth year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That's true and that's part of what worries me with the group as a whole. Too many of the guys who've been hyped have failed to impress on the big stage. The Youth Olympics team saw a bunch of guys fall out of favor, the NTDP tryout camp was much larger than usual and now a bunch of unknowns have come out and taken spots on what's supposed to be the best of the rest outside the prior NTDP invites (Only 8 of the select team players were amongst the 53 at the NTDP camp). Furthermore, the d-men are very small as a group and the forwards mostly have very unimpressive stats within their respective leagues. It's impossible for people who aren't seeing these guys play first hand to know anything for sure but I don't ever remember seeing things be so all over the place at the same point for a US birth year.

I have been saying this for some time...but the 1996 birth year is a bad year for USA Hockey... absolutely little depth and very few high end players... not a good group which sucks because the 95's and 97's have some solid depth and highend players...

I like Bobby Nardella though on defense, kid is very solid player

bostonscout02

Apr 17, 2012
96 birth year is a bad age group???? Who ever said that has no idea what they are talking about. Many scouts and coaches are predicating this age group to be the most skilled in the last 10 years. The 96 NTDP team will probably do twice as well as the 95's did. This 96 age group is a very special one.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
96 birth year is a bad age group???? Who ever said that has no idea what they are talking about. Many scouts and coaches are predicating this age group to be the most skilled in the last 10 years. The 96 NTDP team will probably do twice as well as the 95's did. This 96 age group is a very special one.

we shall see...I hope your right

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
Mark me down as believing the '96 group is a pretty deep one as well. It's too early to tell just how high-end some of those kids end up, but I've seen a ton of very good players out of this age group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad