American Prospect Update Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Finally posted the size of the u17 players on the USA Hockey site and wow there are some big kids there. Potentially the most talented team in the history of the program if they play to their potential. I'm really excited to watch their progress. Won't be fun to play against them internationally though lol.

http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/roster/show/2696988?subseason=317417
I wonder if any of them get bumped up. The 1999's isn't that strong a class by USNDP standards, so it wouldn't be shocking to see Jake Wise moved up if he lives up to his hype. Keller, Matthews, Hanifin and Eichel have all been bumped up in recent years.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
Is he a poor coach?

His track record with last years team was not stellar. He only won a weak international tournement in Switzerland over 2 years. He lost the U 18 tournement and Russia was not even present. He does mot develop players, he appeared not to have trusted his team. The kids despise him and he is known to be abusive.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
His track record with last years team was not stellar. He only won a weak international tournement in Switzerland over 2 years. He lost the U 18 tournement and Russia was not even present. He does mot develop players, he appeared not to have trusted his team. The kids despise him and he is known to be abusive.

Why is he still around then? Isn't USA Hockey worried people will want to leave the program?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Can anyone break down Scott Reedy, Josh Norris and Evan Barratt as players and what seperates them? I really don't know much about any of these guys but they all have some pretty good numbers so I'd love to learn more about them. I assume Reedy is the best prospect of the three of them but I saw Craig Button having Norris ranked high as well. Some more info would be great.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Can anyone break down Scott Reedy, Josh Norris and Evan Barratt as players and what seperates them? I really don't know much about any of these guys but they all have some pretty good numbers so I'd love to learn more about them. I assume Reedy is the best prospect of the three of them but I saw Craig Button having Norris ranked high as well. Some more info would be great.

I think I am the only person on this site that has pumped up Barratt, but I guess it is because I am from the Mid-Atlantic region... similar to Gaudreau. Anyway, EB is a high IQ player with excellent hands and vision, which I think are the most important attributes of prospects nowadays since every player can skate and shoot at high levels. He doesn´t get as much attention because he doesn´t have any overwhelming talents compared to others, but he is the-right-place-at-the-right-time type of player. He can also pull a high skill deke out of nowhere or hit a guy wide open when you never expected a play to develop. He is good at deception with the puck on his stick. I also think he is behind the others physically and still needs to get his coordination in sync.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Can anyone give me an update on Brady Tkachuk. I know he didn't have a great U-17 year (neither did his brother from what I can recall), but the numbers are looking good so far to start the year? Name hype, or can he make a legitimate push to be a top 15 pick? I know he's a 2018 guy.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Idk man, we'll see about Brady. Not sure about top 15 pick category but he's good, and has a nose for the net. He's good in that area and is fearless. Already got into a fight with one of the Youngstown Phantoms last weekend. We'll just have to see how the year progresses, will be a good test this weekend against Notre Dame.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Idk man, we'll see about Brady. Not sure about top 15 pick category but he's good, and has a nose for the net. He's good in that area and is fearless. Already got into a fight with one of the Youngstown Phantoms last weekend. We'll just have to see how the year progresses, will be a good test this weekend against Notre Dame.

Tkachuk and the U18s are playing at BU on 10/6 (where he'll have a few dozen family members in attendance.) A free HD live-stream is scheduled. Will try to post a link when it's available.

His goal off a rebound last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEleKvBvBoM

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thanks, regardless of draft class who is looking the best with the 99's so far this year?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Tkachuk and the U18s are playing at BU on 10/6 (where he'll have a few dozen family members in attendance.) A free HD live-stream is scheduled. Will try to post a link when it's available.

His goal off a rebound last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEleKvBvBoM

Nice to hear the stream will be free, I try and watch every game from the U17 and 18's. I'm excited to see how they do against Notre Dame later this afternoon. I'll bring up K'Andre Miller's name in here. He's on the U17's but I really have liked his game so far. On Friday when we were blown out by Youngstown he was the best D man for Team USA. He has a great stick defensively and can get up and go when need be. Made a beautiful pass to spring Giles in USA's romp of Muskegon 7-2 two weeks ago.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Thanks, regardless of draft class who is looking the best with the 99's so far this year?

From kids on the NTDP U-18's I'd say Quinn Hughes, Grant Mismash, Scott Reedy (has a real nice shot and plays a smart offensive game), I'd throw Tortora possibly as well. He's quick and scored to tie the game late last night against Muskegon. Had another play where he intercepted a pass and flew around a defender to get a shot on net. I think Max Gildon has improved his game from last year as well. He was surrounded by hype and didn't have the best year in his first stint against USHL competition.

Some other guys I'd just like to give a mention to is Brock Caufield of the Green Bay Gamblers. He stood out to me besides MIttelstadt in the game I watched of them on Friday. Scooter Brickey is another from Muskegon who I've had two viewings of so far this year and I've liked his play on the back end for the Lumberjacks. Scored the game winning goal in OT to defeat the U-18's last night.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I was at the NTDP U18-Harvard game in Brighton last Saturday. Here's our recap with scouting notes on all 21 Team USA players. Wasn't pretty but several stood out.

BOSTON (The Draft Analyst) — The United States National Under-18 team’s struggles against collegiate opponents continued this weekend with a pair of losses to Boston-area schools, including Saturday night’s penalty-filled 5-2 defeat to the host Harvard Crimson. The NTDP, which every season plays close to a dozen exhibition tilts against NCAA competition, never seemed to get on track against a Harvard team that used its size and tenacity to create turnovers and possess the puck inside the offensive zone for long stretches.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/game-recap-team-usa-u18-vs-harvard/

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What the hell is going on with the U-17s? Was this class just overhyped. And how is Jake Wise looking?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
What the hell is going on with the U-17s? Was this class just overhyped. And how is Jake Wise looking?

There's the Amateur hockey leagues board that have a thread following the NTDP teams. Some great recaps and insights from two particular posters who follow those teams

Incredibly flashy centre but from what I've read he's been struggling to translate that vs better opponents, his plays usually lead to nowhere.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
There's the Amateur hockey leagues board that have a thread following the NTDP teams. Some great recaps and insights from two particular posters who follow those teams

Incredibly flashy centre but from what I've read he's been struggling to translate that vs better opponents, his plays usually lead to nowhere.

I think the time has come to really look at the NTDP more closely. In following many teams in the last several years I would really question the "development" part of their name. They really only develop 2 lines who are rarely off the ice, they seemingly do this to pad stats for their studs but this is at the expense of the team. Danton Cole who coaches the 17 team is known to be abusive and does not trust or develop his team. Last year he took a solid 18 team to the U 18 tourney that did not even have to play Russia ( who were disqualified) and lost to Finland, why? He did not play his kids he shorted his bench and lost. He did not trust his team. He most definitely had the talent to win.

I think parents and kids have to really evaluate if joining this team will end up,hurting them vs USHL teams. I know of several agents and advisors who no longer will consider this route for top prospects.

USA Hockey should evaluate their coaches and what development is supposed to really mean if they want to attract top prospects. They should definitely address the abuse that has occurred under Danton Cole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad