American Prospect Update Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
The Barons have an average group this year. Their best team was about 4 or 5 years ago when Ned was the goalie, Blake Siebenaler was on D, and Sonny Milano led the team on offense. Was another player named Cam Ashley on the team that was drafted by Sarnia and had a year in the USHL but didn't amount to much. This group is small but they have speed and some skill. I like Connor Koncelik on D, Max Helgeson, Andrei Bakanov is a big Russian who can be project to a good player with a few years of the right development. Nobody that was really eye opening though as far as right now though.

Thanks for the response. I saw that team with Milano play. He was second at the time, to Nick Magyar.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just got back from the Edina/Elk River game, with Edina ahead 5-0. ER had some moments of pressure, but Edina always seems to have that ability to score.

Nick Perbix looked really good. Big (6'3" at least?), good skills, can really skate...not much to find fault with. Not gangly in the least...looks like an athlete.

Jax Murray stuck out to me, also. Smaller, but solid forward. Looked dangerous, shifty and fast.

Brinkman was good with a shortie and an assist(deflected shot from point). He was good, but I've seen him play better.

Boltmann as a freshman held his own. Decent size and strength.

Walker was held off the score sheet, but led Edina with 7 shots, and looked fast and good, as always.

Jungels and Crosby, a couple of Edina forwards, scored a couple of points and looked good.

Saw the tail end of the EP/ GR. EP beaten for the second day in a row. Mittelstadt scored once, and showed flashes but was by no means dominant. Grand Rapids is a tough beat.

Good hockey all round. The 5-0 game felt a lot closer.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Mittelstadt didn't score. Jensen in a 3-1 loss. Mittelstadt hasn't been done much by his standards through six games. Can't tell if he's uninterested or trying to do too much.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thought it was 3-2? He actually looked pretty good, and had his trademark(to me) puck handling and quick puck movement down, but the team as a whole didn't seem to be on the same page. Give credit to ER and GR too. There are talented, well coached teams, and not to be compared to the Farmingtons and CDH's that EP was playing earlier.

Hain looked good.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I don't know much about MN HS hockey other than it's very high level. My understanding is they don't have AAA hockey in MN, that the best kids play for their high schools - excluding SSM. Is this correct?

Also, do the MN HS teams ever play the top of the line AAA teams like Compuware, Belle Tire, etc.?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how good these MN high schools are and what their level of talent and depth is.

Thanks!

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
I don't know much about MN HS hockey other than it's very high level. My understanding is they don't have AAA hockey in MN, that the best kids play for their high schools - excluding SSM. Is this correct?

Also, do the MN HS teams ever play the top of the line AAA teams like Compuware, Belle Tire, etc.?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how good these MN high schools are and what their level of talent and depth is.

Thanks!

There is a few AAA teams in MN but they dont play the whole season. Once HS hockey, bantam, and so on starts the teams stop playing together and go to their local organizations. I don't think they play teams like Compuware although in the Minnesota Elite League which is like select teams from a certain area they include Team Wisconson, SSM, and some other prep schools.
Just to give a quick example of the spring AAA teams in Minnesota the Minnesota Blades u14 and u16 both competed in some tournaments with the top teams in the country. The u14s won their tournaments and would have likely won nationals while the u16s won the USHL fall showcase and would have a very good shot at winning nationals.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
There is a few AAA teams in MN but they dont play the whole season. Once HS hockey, bantam, and so on starts the teams stop playing together and go to their local organizations. I don't think they play teams like Compuware although in the Minnesota Elite League which is like select teams from a certain area they include Team Wisconson, SSM, and some other prep schools.
Just to give a quick example of the spring AAA teams in Minnesota the Minnesota Blades u14 and u16 both competed in some tournaments with the top teams in the country. The u14s won their tournaments and would have likely won nationals while the u16s won the USHL fall showcase and would have a very good shot at winning nationals.

Thanks for the response! Interesting.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Thanks!

Yes, your HS hockey team is dependent on where you live, except if you play for a private school.

There is only AA, A, B1, B2 and C hockey during the winter. Typically MN hockey is a tier above everywhere else in the U>S>, i.e. a MN "B" team could play in a WI "A" and do very well, especially if it's a strong B team.

In the summer, players form AAA squads, some of which are very strong(others are AAA in name only), and can compete with the top teams in the continent, whether it be Chicago Mission, The Detroit teams, or Don Mills Flyers,etc..

It is hard for MN teams to compete in season with teams from anywhere else, as they a have a weird eligibility date.

Some of the top HS teams are very good, but the drain on them by the private schools(i.e. Shattuck) and Junior hockey, whether it be the USHL or CHL, can dilute them. I know of a local HS team that has lost 4-5 top players (would all make the NHL "player to watch" list...one of them a likely first rounder).

There is a wide variance in how good the HS are. The top 8-10 or so are very good, and can beat one another up on a regular basis, and the top 20 are all quite competitive. The smaller schools play in a lower division (according to student enrollment) as do many of the privates(which causes some consternation, as some privates recruit students/hockey players from out of the ranks of the regular HS teams). Some of those teams can still be quite good, however, if you see some unusually high stats from some MN HS prospects, it might be against some weaker teams(ranked below 80th or so.) Typically, the higher ranked teams don't play those teams.

The top 5 HS teams will often try to schedule a game against Shattuck in season. They lose more often than not, but usually have competitive games.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I know the Edina PWAA(good hockey suburb of Minneapolis...about 45,000) went to Detroit and played the Detroit teams, Honeybaked, Compuware, Belle Tire, or something like that a few years ago. I think they went 2-1-1. They were an unusually strong team, though. Again, it's not Apples to Apples because of the birthdate situation.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yes, your HS hockey team is dependent on where you live, except if you play for a private school.

There is only AA, A, B1, B2 and C hockey during the winter. Typically MN hockey is a tier above everywhere else in the U>S>, i.e. a MN "B" team could play in a WI "A" and do very well, especially if it's a strong B team.

In the summer, players form AAA squads, some of which are very strong(others are AAA in name only), and can compete with the top teams in the continent, whether it be Chicago Mission, The Detroit teams, or Don Mills Flyers,etc..

It is hard for MN teams to compete in season with teams from anywhere else, as they a have a weird eligibility date.

Some of the top HS teams are very good, but the drain on them by the private schools(i.e. Shattuck) and Junior hockey, whether it be the USHL or CHL, can dilute them. I know of a local HS team that has lost 4-5 top players (would all make the NHL "player to watch" list...one of them a likely first rounder).

There is a wide variance in how good the HS are. The top 8-10 or so are very good, and can beat one another up on a regular basis, and the top 20 are all quite competitive. The smaller schools play in a lower division (according to student enrollment) as do many of the privates(which causes some consternation, as some privates recruit students/hockey players from out of the ranks of the regular HS teams). Some of those teams can still be quite good, however, if you see some unusually high stats from some MN HS prospects, it might be against some weaker teams(ranked below 80th or so.) Typically, the higher ranked teams don't play those teams.

The top 5 HS teams will often try to schedule a game against Shattuck in season. They lose more often than not, but usually have competitive games.

Personally I don't like the idea of them continuing to play alot of hockey in the summer, they should recharge for a few months at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad