American Prospect Update Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Neids and Craig Johnson's kid's.

Johnson's kid was by far the best player on that Ducks team this year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team USA U-17 Roster for the Five Nations tournament is out. Team is selected from the Select 16 camp and doesn't include any NTDP guys:

Forwards (x12):

• Jack Randl
  • Gavin Hain
  • Ryan Savage
  • TJ Walsh
  • Matt Gould
  • Jeremy Davidson
  • Blake McLaughlin
  • Jack Drury
  • Devlin McCabe
  • Calen Kiefiuk
  • Ben Helgelson
  • John Malone

Defense (x6):

• Christian Krygier
  • Jacob Semik
  • Stanislav Demin
  • Ethan Frisch
  • Brady Smith
  • Jace Foskey

Goalies (x2):

• Drew DeRidder
  • Isaiah Saville

Some of the notables that were at camp and didn't make the team:
  • Ben Brinkman (hyped MN-HS hockey player who was rumored to have an NTDP offer)
  • Max Ellis (Youngstown tender)
  • Curtis Hall (Youngstown tender)
  • Todd Scott (Youth Olympic Games participant)

Last edited:

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Team USA U-17 Roster for the Five Nations tournament is out. Team is selected from the Select 16 camp and doesn't include any NTDP guys:

Forwards (x12):

• Jack Randl
  • Gavin Hain
  • Ryan Savage
  • TJ Walsh
  • Matt Gould
  • Jeremy Davidson
  • Blake McLaughlin
  • Jack Drury
  • Devlin McCabe
  • Calen Kiefiuk
  • Ben Helgelson
  • John Malone

Defense (x6):

• Christian Krygier
  • Jacob Semik
  • Stanislav Demin
  • Ethan Frisch
  • Brady Smith
  • Jace Foskey

Goalies (x2):

• Drew DeRidder
  • Isaiah Saville

• Ben Brinkman (hyped MN-HS hockey player who was rumored to have an NTDP offer)

Is this a tournament we "try to win"? For instance, my rudimentary way of thinking is that we "try to win" certain tourneys based on the fact that we send development kids; but we dont necessarily "try to win" Hlinka because we dont. How does this tournament fare within that, probably misguided, context?

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Wonder who is going to start in goal. Saville got the start in the all star game but DeRidder had better stats

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Is this a tournament we "try to win"? For instance, my rudimentary way of thinking is that we "try to win" certain tourneys based on the fact that we send development kids; but we dont necessarily "try to win" Hlinka because we dont. How does this tournament fare within that, probably misguided, context?

USAH treats this tournament the same way they treat the Hlinka: the primary goal is for non-NTDP players to gain international experience. The difference is that the Hlinka is a much more prestigious tournament as Canada, Russia, Sweden, and Finland don't participate in this one. Hence why we've won this tournament 6 out of the 8 years despite sending a B team at best.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012

Forwards (x12):

• Jack Randl
  • Gavin Hain
  • Ryan Savage
  • TJ Walsh
  • Matt Gould
  • Jeremy Davidson
  • Blake McLaughlin
  • Jack Drury
  • Devlin McCabe
  • Calen Kiefiuk
  • Ben Helgelson
  • John Malone

Defense (x6):

• Christian Krygier
  • Jacob Semik
  • Stanislav Demin
  • Ethan Frisch
  • Brady Smith
  • Jace Foskey

Goalies (x2):

• Drew DeRidder
  • Isaiah Saville

I mentioned Ethan Frisch on here when he wasn't even really talked about in Minnesota after he stood out to me in 15's district play. A little on the smaller side right now but what a skill set.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Colin Schmidt was a notable to me. Sounded like he did well and figured USA Hockey would want to further develop him with his size and athletic ability.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
USAH treats this tournament the same way they treat the Hlinka: the primary goal is for non-NTDP players to gain international experience. The difference is that the Hlinka is a much more prestigious tournament as Canada, Russia, Sweden, and Finland don't participate in this one. Hence why we've won this tournament 6 out of the 8 years despite sending a B team at best.

Thank you. Youre always helpful.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Wonder who is going to start in goal. Saville got the start in the all star game but DeRidder had better stats

If you look at the box score DeRidder didnt even play in the All Star game. I am guessing his spot was locked up on the 5 nations team and the selection committee was deciding between Saville and Faulkner for the 2nd goalie slot.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
2001 winger Trevor Zingras commits to BU for 2020. Mid-Fairfield Jr. Rangers scorer headed to Avon Old Farms next season.

Priority Selection ‏@PrioritySelect 4h4 hours ago:
>Another huge pickup for BU in the '01 class. Joins Robert Mastrosimone and Case McCarthy as fellow blue-chippers.

Priority Selection @PrioritySelect:
>Zegras still needs to fill out and add strength, but his skill-set is firmly that of 1st round calibre by 2017 #OHLDraft standards.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Yeah, I'd be really surprised if Hockey Canada would put this out there without knowing Cal Foote is eligible for Team Canada this year, even if it's unexplained as far as we're aware.

Not that I doubt their passion for Hockey Canada (USA Hockey writes the same type of fluff pieces), but this made me chuckle:

“I watched my dad at the Olympics and the World Cup for Canada, and ever since then I thought it would be amazing to represent Canada,” says Cal. “Now I get the chance to, so it’s pretty exciting. And same for my brother.”

“I want to follow in my dad’s footsteps in wearing the Maple Leaf,” says Nolan.

They had no shortage of options – the Ontario Hockey League (like their dad, who played in the 1991 Memorial Cup with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds), the Western Hockey League, the NCAA or USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program – but for Cal, the decision was easy.

Except for that part where they both tried to represent USA Hockey first by trying out for the NTDP. Neither was offered a spot. Nolan tried out a few months ago - boy how quickly things change! It just reinforces the common theme for a lot of dual citizens. They're proud of their ties to each country, and maybe some trend one way or the other more so, but they're out for the opportunity for the most part, which is why they answer whoever is calling.

That said, I have no issues with the Footes representing Team Canada, as long as the rules are applied equally.

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Yeah, I'd be really surprised if Hockey Canada would put this out there without knowing Cal Foote is eligible for Team Canada this year, even if it's unexplained as far as we're aware.

Not that I doubt their passion for Hockey Canada (USA Hockey writes the same type of fluff pieces), but this made me chuckle:

Except for that part where they both tried to represent USA Hockey first by trying out for the NTDP. Neither was offered a spot. Nolan a tried out a few months ago - boy how quickly things change! It just reinforces the common theme for a lot of dual citizens. They're proud of their ties to each country, and maybe some trend one way or the other more so, but they're out for the opportunity for the most part, which is why they answer whoever is calling.

That said, I have no issues with the Footes representing Team Canada, as long as the rules are applied equally.

Yep, it's all about opportunity.

Sean Day said a few "not nice" things about the US a few years ago. Tried out for Canada, was cut, got US citizenship, invited to US camp.
We'll see how things go for him.

I was hoping he would fall in the draft and the Leafs get him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yep, it's all about opportunity.

Sean Day said a few "not nice" things about the US a few years ago. Tried out for Canada, was cut, got US citizenship, invited to US camp.
We'll see how things go for him.

I was hoping he would fall in the draft and the Leafs get him.
Same with Logan Brown. They both had terrible camps for Hilinka. Day showed up 20 to 30 pounds overweight, Brown was said to of been the worst player at the camp. Brown they still wanted. I don't think they wanted anything to do with Day, he didn't even get an invite to the U-18 team once Sauga was eliminated.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Who are our top prospects for 2017? Are Mittelstadt and Yams the only 2 projected to go top 10?

I think you are right. But at this point, I think it is more applicable to speculate who could go in the first round.

My guesses are the following have a decent shot at the 1st round: Mittelstadt, Yam, Reedy, Mismash, Chmelevski, and Farrance. With Pastujov, Barratt, Lodnia and Gildon having outside shots at getting in the first round.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Is it still TBD whether Foote will represent the US or CAN?

Looking at the Jake Walman case, I think Foote will have to wait a year to play for Canada. I think Canada is bringing him along for the experience. It is all about opportunity for these dual citizens. Logan Brown over a year ago- was saying how he is proud to represent Canada, and wants to represent Canada in the long-run. Hockey Canada cuts him from the Hlinka Team a year ago, Brown felt that was not warranted since he did enough to make the team- then switches his allegiance back to the USA. I am sure if Foote is given the opportunity to play for USA- he will take it, since he will be ineligible for Canada this year.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Now that Sean Day has been cut from team USA I wonder what he does.

I kind of feel for him as I do think he's got the skill set to be a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad