American Prospect Update Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Now that Sean Day has been cut from team USA I wonder what he does.

I kind of feel for him as I do think he's got the skill set to be a good player.

I doubt it changes much. His odds will again be better with Team USA next year compared with Team Canada, but I'm not counting on much.

Hopefully for his sake this is an actual wakeup call. It's not just Hockey Canada as USA Hockey and the NHL have had similar assessments of his game. I'm not sure a wakeup is the solution, or if there is even a solution, but if a revelation is what he needs and this past year isn't it, I doubt it ever comes.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Update on Cal Foote:

Craig Button just said it's his understanding that Cal Foote isn't eligible for Team Canada this WJC.

We've suspected this to be the case, and that will make it really interesting come December if true. Will Foote be willing to possibly turn down a Team USA invite and chance at the WJC to stay home, especially when the Team USA defense is thin this year?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Update on Cal Foote:

Craig Button just said it's his understanding that Cal Foote isn't eligible for Team Canada this WJC.

We've suspected this to be the case, and that will make it really interesting come December if true. Will Foote be willing to possibly turn down a Team USA invite and chance at the WJC to stay home, especially when the Team USA defense is thin this year?

There ya go, the speculation on these boards was right. Let's see if he's at AAPG

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have a hard time believing Foote is going to pass up a shot to play at the WJC if team USA asks him to come in December. This is his draft year, and not going to this tournament might not be the best choice for him if he wants to wait until next year. I am still surprised by his choice, but that is his right...we will have to wait and see when draft stock and $$$ starts really being talked to him in December for the chance to play for team USA.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Christian Krygier (Lincoln Stars) committed to Wisconsin. I really liked his game at the Youth Olympics and was surprised he was left off the NTDP squad.

Wisconsin has recruiting momentum with the new staff.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I have a hard time believing Foote is going to pass up a shot to play at the WJC if team USA asks him to come in December. This is his draft year, and not going to this tournament might not be the best choice for him if he wants to wait until next year. I am still surprised by his choice, but that is his right...we will have to wait and see when draft stock and $$$ starts really being talked to him in December for the chance to play for team USA.

Who knows how this will play out but helpful to remember not everybody shares the American dream.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Who knows how this will play out but helpful to remember not everybody shares the American dream.

Tell that to all the Canadian born players who have played (some even briefly) for American based teams and after retiring stay in the states.
Seems like the Hulls, Howes, Gretzkys, Lemieuxs, Orrs and many more share the American dream. They all had the opportunity to come home and declined.
Two star players played out their contracts in 2012 and left the team that drafted them to sign with their boyhood teams...both players American. One actually a dual citizen:laugh:

This summer a star Canadian player had the option to sign with his boyhood team and move back to Canada and he declined.

If the Foote brothers had been offered spots with the NTDP they would have jumped at the chance.

If USA hockey offers Cal Foote a spot come December I think there's a good chance he takes it. Even over Canada if he is somehow able to play for Canada.

The only reason Jacob Chychrun is playing for Canada and not the US is USA hockey's refusal to allow him to join the USHL as an underager.

Canada's dominance at the world juniors is long over. Logan Brown was invited to both under 18's this year and joined the US team. Looking at the results, he made the right decision.

The US team this year should be a better team than Canada's.
The NTDP and the emphasis they put on skating and puck control is ahead of what we're doing in Canada. Hockey Canada is kind of like the Edmonton Oilers, old boys club and slow to adapt.

I don't think the NTDP has had one rejection from a dual citizen in their history.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Tell that to all the Canadian born players who have played (some even briefly) for American based teams and after retiring stay in the states.
Seems like the Hulls, Howes, Gretzkys, Lemieuxs, Orrs and many more share the American dream. They all had the opportunity to come home and declined.
Two star players played out their contracts in 2012 and left the team that drafted them to sign with their boyhood teams...both players American. One actually a dual citizen:laugh:

This summer a star Canadian player had the option to sign with his boyhood team and move back to Canada and he declined.

If the Foote brothers had been offered spots with the NTDP they would have jumped at the chance.

If USA hockey offers Cal Foote a spot come December I think there's a good chance he takes it. Even over Canada if he is somehow able to play for Canada.

The only reason Jacob Chychrun is playing for Canada and not the US is USA hockey's refusal to allow him to join the USHL as an underager.

Canada's dominance at the world juniors is long over. Logan Brown was invited to both under 18's this year and joined the US team. Looking at the results, he made the right decision.

The NTDP and the emphasis they put on skating and puck control is ahead of what we're doing in Canada. Hockey Canada is kind of like the Edmonton Oilers, old boys club and slow to adapt.

I don't think the NTDP has had one rejection from a dual citizen in their history.

Spoken like a true Canadian lol. Come home to what? Parry Sound, Floral Saskatchewan, to friends in the hometown that they left at 15.

As you point out Canada does not have an U18 national team however Logan Brown is certainly happy that he is playing in Ottawa.

One thing that Hockey Canada does better than anybody else is make money.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Nothing too crazy in your post other than the bolded.

Canada's dominance at any level of hockey will never be 'long over'.

With regards to Cal Foote, hopefully wherever he ends up works out well for him. It would be cool to see him drafted and play for the Avalanche.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
I agree its long over and has been for awhile, no longer will Canada show up and everyone else is playing for second. Other countries are getting better all the time. The gap is closed for good, we will still be in the hunt and in the top 4. My kids both played as we call it here "over the river" and the American game is like the European game. Speed and puck handling, most of there rinks are big.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

I have a hard time believing it would be such a simple decision. Cal Foote's interviews on the subject evoke disappointment that he probably won't be eligible and hope that something will change by December. You're assuming he makes a decision based on what can easily end up being a minor career enhancing move instead of personal reasons.

Yes players sometimes make these decisions based on practical career oriented reasons, several players who have played for the US in recent years have done just that (Galchenyuk the most notable current example) but if you approach this from a neutral perspective you can easily see him sitting out. He essentially has said he feels Canadian. If he turns down a USA offer, no one should criticize him or even be surprised.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I have a hard time believing it would be such a simple decision. Cal Foote's interviews on the subject evoke disappointment that he probably won't be eligible and hope that something will change by December. You're assuming he makes a decision based on what can easily end up being a minor career enhancing move instead of personal reasons.

Yes players sometimes make these decisions based on practical career oriented reasons, several players who have played for the US in recent years have done just that (Galchenyuk the most notable current example) but if you approach this from a neutral perspective you can easily see him sitting out. He essentially has said he feels Canadian. If he turns down a USA offer, no one should criticize him or even be surprised.

I wouldn't say it's an easy decision, but it's also not a minor choice either. Would Foote be willing to miss out on a major opportunity to impress during his NHL draft year? Maybe, maybe not. If he wants to permanently represent Team Canada, I hope he pursues that route.

Context also matters though on those interviews. He's being asked by Canadian media about Team Canada while representing Team Canada. What do you expect him to say: "Well, you know I hope they find a way to bend the rules, but if not I'm happy to represent Team USA"? Of course he wouldn't say anything like that, even if it's possibly true. But considering the fact that both Footes have already tried to represent Team USA, I'd venture to say it may not be an easy choice come December.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Adam Foote is moving the family back to Canada after many years in the US. Holy **** when was the last time (if ever) that happened.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Adam Foote is moving the family back to Canada after many years in the US. Holy **** when was the last time (if ever) that happened.

I don't think that's a shocker given that his sons are going to be spending the next few years playing junior there.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Fortunato from BU transfers to Quinni. will sit out this year.
Is this common? Can't see how it makes sense to sit out a full year just to switch schools, especially after 2 years. Will he play in the USHL or something?

DSuttersface

Dec 28, 2014
SoCal
Is this common? Can't see how it makes sense to sit out a full year just to switch schools, especially after 2 years. Will he play in the USHL or something?

It's somewhat common among NCAA athletes. He still has two years of NCAA eligibility. My understanding is that he will be at Quinnipiac this year taking classes then will be allowed to play next year. I guess he felt that BU has a lot of incoming defensemen who will automatically be above him on the pecking order and therefore his minutes will be reduced. There may be other factors at play, but playing time probably has something to do with it.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/eca...-brandon-fortunato-transferring-to-quinnipiac

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team USA took silver at the Hlinka. They got screwed in the third period by the refs with one of the worst calls, ever.

Overall though, a few prospects showed pretty well at the tournament. Chmelevski, Phoeling, and Pastujov did most of the heavy lifting for the team. Hopefully they can build on this tournament and improve their standings as they head towards the 2017 draft. Lodnia played well too but it didn't translate to points like the others. McManus was the other forward to watch and he had a very disappointing tournament. Primeau in net played pretty well. He made some big saves at times, but also gave us some awfully weak goals throughout the tournament. That's not surprising at this age though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad