American Prospect Update Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think the time has come to really look at the NTDP more closely. In following many teams in the last several years I would really question the "development" part of their name. They really only develop 2 lines who are rarely off the ice, they seemingly do this to pad stats for their studs but this is at the expense of the team. Danton Cole who coaches the 17 team is known to be abusive and does not trust or develop his team. Last year he took a solid 18 team to the U 18 tourney that did not even have to play Russia ( who were disqualified) and lost to Finland, why? He did not play his kids he shorted his bench and lost. He did not trust his team. He most definitely had the talent to win.

I think parents and kids have to really evaluate if joining this team will end up,hurting them vs USHL teams. I know of several agents and advisors who no longer will consider this route for top prospects.

USA Hockey should evaluate their coaches and what development is supposed to really mean if they want to attract top prospects. They should definitely address the abuse that has occurred under Danton Cole.

Jesus, I had no idea. I think coaching is definitely a problem for this U17 team, even purely on-ice.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think the time has come to really look at the NTDP more closely. In following many teams in the last several years I would really question the "development" part of their name. They really only develop 2 lines who are rarely off the ice, they seemingly do this to pad stats for their studs but this is at the expense of the team. Danton Cole who coaches the 17 team is known to be abusive and does not trust or develop his team. Last year he took a solid 18 team to the U 18 tourney that did not even have to play Russia ( who were disqualified) and lost to Finland, why? He did not play his kids he shorted his bench and lost. He did not trust his team. He most definitely had the talent to win.

I think parents and kids have to really evaluate if joining this team will end up,hurting them vs USHL teams. I know of several agents and advisors who no longer will consider this route for top prospects.

USA Hockey should evaluate their coaches and what development is supposed to really mean if they want to attract top prospects. They should definitely address the abuse that has occurred under Danton Cole.

I've heard rumors that Cole is generally unliked by players and visionless as a coach, but who knows how true that is.

I don't think the NTDP is necessary, especially if those kids head to the USHL/CHL at 16. It helps win some dual citizen battles (helps lose some too though), but I don't think it's really needed for optimal player development.

This current U17 team is a real mystery even after a half dozen viewings, plus a lot of the players at the YOG. Tons of talent, but I've never seen a more disorganized NTDP team that I can remember. Their passing is horrendous, but even more so each player seems to be playing a different system. They're so disjointed that it's jarring to watch and given that it's not surprising they've struggled. Cole has rolled all 4 lines all year but he's been scrambling combinations all year as well. Wise, Wilde, and Farabee have been the best players, and if the team ever gels they'll be fine, but a few players are a lot better than their stats would indicate. Some of the players (Janicke, Ullan, etc.) are in over their heads at this point, while others (DeBoer, Jenkins) look really overhyped.

Last edited:

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
I've heard rumors that Cole is generally unliked by players and visionless as a coach, but who knows how true that is.

I don't think the NTDP is necessary, especially if those kids head to the USHL/CHL at 16. It helps win some dual citizen battles (helps lose some too though), but I don't think it's really needed for optimal player development.

This current U17 team is a real mystery even after a half dozen viewings, plus a lot of the players at the YOG. Tons of talent, but I've never seen a more disorganized NTDP team that I can remember. Their passing is horrendous, but even more so each player seems to be playing a different system. They're so disjointed that it's jarring to watch and given that it's not surprising they've struggled. Cole has rolled all 4 lines all year but he's been scrambling combinations all year as well. Wise, Wilde, and Farabee have been the best players, and if the team ever gels they'll be fine, but a few players are a lot better than their stats would indicate. Some of the players (Janicke, Ullan, etc.) are in over their heads at this point, while others (DeBoer, Jenkins) look really overhyped.

Danton Cole is definitely a big part of the problem. he is a horrible communicator and kids have said that he coaches by telepathy so that may be a big part of the problem for the 17 team. I agree with you that the NTDP is not really necessary. I have not seen the 17s play but know that they have a talented roster so you have to look at the leadership at USA hockey. if they do not make some meaningful changes I would think that it will be increasingly difficult to recruit kids to the team in the future. They put all of their chips on the U 18 tournament and last year they took Bronze and looking at the 18's this year not sure how that goes or really how many kids on that team that go.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013

The 17's lost to in the quaters to Sweden, no medals, the NTDP is really going backwards. Danton Cole is on quthe losing streak.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
The 17's lost to in the quaters to Sweden, no medals, the NTDP is really going backwards. Danton Cole is on quthe losing streak.

Have not had the chance to see any live games this year, only video. It does appear that Bode Wilde is coming into his own and the only player that has so far lived up to his billing. The rest of the D is quite a step below that of previous years and the forward group is beginning to look as nondescript as last year's squad. Their play and subsequent result at the U-17 was not a surprise.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm in Michigan for the U18 5 Nations. This is my third live viewing of Team USA (4th is tomorrow) in just under 2 months. They crushed the Czechs 6-2 and it could have been worse.

Of note is defenseman Max Gildon, who disappointed me in previous viewings. He had a big bounceback game and was paired with Knoepke at even strength. He was crisp with his passes, accurate with his shots and played with an edge. He's too big, mobile and skilled to take nights off, and he would be a top-10 talent if he found a way to combine all three on a nightly basis.

Defenseman David Farrance had yet another strong game. Kid has a pro-level noggin. He's this year's Adam Fox. He had a beautiful stretch pass to spring Seah Dhooghe for a breakaway goal and was hammering the puck all night. He and Tommy Miller are tied for the team lead among defenseman with 7 points.

We'll do a full tournament recap on Monday

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Edina sophomore Ben Brinkman (MIN) with a nice goal vs Wayzata in today's 4-1 win. The RHD he beat there at the blue line is this year's youngest draft eligible Grant Anderson (UNO) who's C-rated IIRC.

ThirdDistantIndri-size_restricted.gif

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Edina sophomore Ben Brinkman (MIN) with a nice goal vs Wayzata in today's 4-1 win. The RHD he beat there at the blue line is this year's youngest draft eligible Grant Anderson (UNO) who's C-rated IIRC.

ThirdDistantIndri-size_restricted.gif
Are these game being filmed? Any idea how he did against Holy Family yesterday?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brinkman has it all. He might not get to be more than 6'1 or 6'2", but he's built thick and strong. Tree trunk legs. Even though he has all kinds of offensive talent, he can also be a solid defender with a nasty edge to him. Again, he's got a couple years to go till his draft, and all sorts of things can happen, but everything I've heard about him is positive personality wise....good home, good kid, etc..

Can hit a baseball a LONG way, as you can imagine.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I read he got burned multiple times on goals this weekend, so it's not like he's perfect. He's dang good for his age right now, though.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Are these game being filmed? Any idea how he did against Holy Family yesterday?
You can watch the third place game vs Wayzata --> https://livestream.com/NWCT12/events/6647093

I read he got burned multiple times on goals this weekend, so it's not like he's perfect. He's dang good for his age right now, though.
Underclassmen out of position? Never, hehe, but yes, Brinkman was on-ice for the first two of the three Edina GA this weekend, aka both HF goals. His man got inside position to pot a rebound on a point shot that the goalie should've swallowed up, while he then took himself out of the play with a sliding block attempt on the 5v3 PK on the eventual winner.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Edina is not going to be as good as in years past. Too many people leaving.

Phillips, Copeland, Mismash, Tabor, Jensen, Silianoff, Lagerstrom, would all be Sophomores, Juniors, or Seniors.

Last edited:

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Landon Langenbrunner? When was he in the Edina system? Are you thinking Hankinson?

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Edina is not going to be as good as in years past. Too many people leaving.

Phillips, Copeland, Mismash, Tabor, Jensen, Silianoff, Langenbrunner would all be Sophomores, Juniors, or Seniors.

I'm pretty sure Jensen moved programs because his parents literally moved. Your point is most likely the case though. Looking at their bantam team it's much weaker than normal even when Boltmann was still playing it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm pretty sure Jensen moved programs because his parents literally moved. Your point is most likely the case though. Looking at their bantam team it's much weaker than normal even when Boltmann was still playing it.

Well, there's more to the Jensen thing, but the main point is that the players are no longer there from a pretty extraordinary group, besides Brinkman and Walker....maybe a couple?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Not sure where this might fit in here but two weeks ago I went to go see the Cleveland Barons 16U vs Buffalo Jr Sabres 16U and there's a D man on Buffalo named Case McCarthy who's a 2001 born and is already committed to BU. He's a big kid that moves very well. Makes smart plays and can handle the puck in tight situations especially when being pressured on the blue line. There was a play where he intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and moved laterally through two Barons D men to get a shot on net. He's really hard to beat 1 on 1 and didn't make a bad pass in the two games I saw him play. He's an NTDP candidate for next year. Just thought I'd share since this thread hasn't gotten any updates lately.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Not sure where this might fit in here but two weeks ago I went to go see the Cleveland Barons 16U vs Buffalo Jr Sabres 16U and there's a D man on Buffalo named Case McCarthy who's a 2001 born and is already committed to BU. He's a big kid that moves very well. Makes smart plays and can handle the puck in tight situations especially when being pressured on the blue line. There was a play where he intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and moved laterally through two Barons D men to get a shot on net. He's really hard to beat 1 on 1 and didn't make a bad pass in the two games I saw him play. He's an NTDP candidate for next year. Just thought I'd share since this thread hasn't gotten any updates lately.

Any good prospects on the Barons team? Any kids who can play NCAA hockey one day?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Any good prospects on the Barons team? Any kids who can play NCAA hockey one day?

The Barons have an average group this year. Their best team was about 4 or 5 years ago when Ned was the goalie, Blake Siebenaler was on D, and Sonny Milano led the team on offense. Was another player named Cam Ashley on the team that was drafted by Sarnia and had a year in the USHL but didn't amount to much. This group is small but they have speed and some skill. I like Connor Koncelik on D, Max Helgeson, Andrei Bakanov is a big Russian who can be project to a good player with a few years of the right development. Nobody that was really eye opening though as far as right now though.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
The Barons have an average group this year. Their best team was about 4 or 5 years ago when Ned was the goalie, Blake Siebenaler was on D, and Sonny Milano led the team on offense. Was another player named Cam Ashley on the team that was drafted by Sarnia and had a year in the USHL but didn't amount to much. This group is small but they have speed and some skill. I like Connor Koncelik on D, Max Helgeson, Andrei Bakanov is a big Russian who can be project to a good player with a few years of the right development. Nobody that was really eye opening though as far as right now though.
Bakanov is an 02 correct?

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Has anyone noticed the stats on Parker Gahagan, goalie for Army? Is he a legitimate prospect or a product of playing in the AHA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad