OT: All Things Game of Thrones III (The End!?)

Who sits on the Iron Throne?

• Total voters

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I don’t think I can say this is a good show but it’s certainly not a bad show. It’s something to put on when I remember there’s a new episode.
I am usually reminded a new episode is out when I see this thread bumped rather than it being Monday.

Reactions: trostol

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I liked the episode. My only real beef was the sound during the funeral scene. The person mixing that absolutely blew it. The dialogue was so low (appropriately so with much of it) and the music would swell up and over it. Annoying as hell, don't make me have to stop and rewatch parts of a scene.

Now we can see all the little pricks battle and I love it.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
So, the only one who isn't a scumbag and deserving enough to die, is the king.
The show does a good job at subverting your expectations. Everytime you're starting to feel sorry for a character or feel sympathy for a character that character becomes an asshole.
The king is the only really likeable character left and he has one foot in the grave.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Anyone else find watching this show absolutely BRUTAL from a picture quality standpoint? You can't see shit in half of the scenes.

I don't know the technical aspect jargon side of things because I'm just some rock nerd, but from my understanding and to put it most simply, the quality was so shit because of the number of viewers. Kind of like sucking up all the bandwidth?

GoT's episode The Long Night featured a similar issue. I remember watching pixilated black blocks all across the screen coupled with a lot of glaring fiery scenes. If you go back and watch The Long Night episode now, it will be much more visually pleasing.

At least... that's the explanation I've come across. I have not rewatched The Long Night because that show is dead to me.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I don't know the technical aspect jargon side of things because I'm just some rock nerd, but from my understanding and to put it most simply, the quality was so shit because of the number of viewers. Kind of like sucking up all the bandwidth?

GoT's episode The Long Night featured a similar issue. I remember watching pixilated black blocks all across the screen coupled with a lot of glaring fiery scenes. If you go back and watch The Long Night episode now, it will be much more visually pleasing.

At least... that's the explanation I've come across. I have not rewatched The Long Night because that show is dead to me.
I don’t watch GOT when it releases and it’s still far too dark to see things clearly.

Reactions: ybnvs

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

The darkness is intentional and it's a "creative decision." The Long Night was directed by Sapochnik and so was this episode.

They're doing it on purpose and it's stupid.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I don’t watch GOT when it releases and it’s still far too dark to see things clearly.
I believe you. I should have been more clear, I have no idea if what I posted is true or not as I have not tried rewatching either episode after their releases. I've been an avid user of Westeros.org for 10+ years and it was something I saw explained in a thread over there, but I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to tech-stuff so I probably misinterpreted it all.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
The darkness is intentional and it's a "creative decision." The Long Night was directed by Sapochnik and so was this episode.

They're doing it on purpose and it's stupid.
Interesting correlation... I'm convinced.

I wonder how much money they save on set designs, make-up, props, attire, etc when they KNOW the end result which will be aired is going to be a black screen of blurry objects, or whatever it is that motivates them to being total jerkoffs with this shit?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think they filmed those scenes in daylight and digitally made it night in post-production. I guess that's cheaper and easier than just film at night. They probably had to make it dark so it doesn't look fake.

Reactions: ybnvs

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Interesting correlation... I'm convinced.

I wonder how much money they save on set designs, make-up, props, attire, etc when they KNOW the end result which will be aired is going to be a black screen of blurry objects, or whatever it is that motivates them to being total jerkoffs with this shit?
I imagine they spend more money to digitally darken a scene shot in the daylight or under bright studio lighting. I don’t think they would do less prep work on anyone halfway important to a scene or it’s background. The extras might get glossed over and have less effort dressing them up.

I think they filmed those scenes in daylight and digitally made it night in post-production. I guess that's cheaper and easier than just film at night. They probably had to make it dark so it doesn't look fake.
Easier, safer to shoot in the day but it has got to add time to a film or shows timetable, but I’d imagine it’s more costly in the short run.

Reactions: ybnvs and TCTC

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I didn't have darkness issues on my end, but I did have an issue with that half hour long funeral scene where everyone just kept looking around at everyone else.
same that darknesss wasnt an issue on my end but I actually liked that funeral scene. It was awkward as hell and you can tell there is a lot of tension being built up.

I love this show so much so far, they have done great. Kinda surprised some aren't that into it!

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
It is a good show but the Targaryan Civil War is a GREAT story. I have my issues with it, but I like it overall
Ya I agree, the story is amazing. I haven’t read the full book (only what has been covered thus far in the series to not ruin anything), but it’s such an amazing storyline. I wish it wasn’t a history lesson and more of an actual novel so we can get more out of the characters. There really isn’t much dialogue but the characters and story are just as good as got.

the time jumps make it seem like, they are in a hurry to get to the end.
To be fair tho, the book does that a lot. Like I said in the above post, it doesn’t go into detail about what happens in between the time lapses which really sucks. The series is slated for 3-4 seasons so they are just hurrying it up until the actual dance (where I’m assuming shit is gunna go crazy) but it would’ve been awesome to see more. Lots more characters going to come into play I think

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Fe1_fWgWAAAtOgk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad