OT: All Things Game of Thrones III (The End!?)

Who sits on the Iron Throne?

• Total voters

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
It's not going to be. I'm glad they are not totally trying to copy GOT. Stylisticly similar, but a different tone for sure. Lots of setup so far, but setup/char development is great to tell an interesting story.

The Rhaynera/Alicent contrasting experiences have been awesome, and setting up the brutality to come.
ya i loved that it was different. My friend was saying he was expecting more from the episode because of how intense the buildup was. I loved it and you explained it well. It is really building up to a great story (Already is as well). The suspense, music, char development....all were on display in the episode last night

Reactions: achdumeingute

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ya i loved that it was different. My friend was saying he was expecting more from the episode because of how intense the buildup was. I loved it and you explained it well. It is really building up to a great story (Already is as well). The suspense, music, char development....all were on display in the episode last night
The way they built up the climax last night was great imo. For not knowing the source material, you didn’t know which shoe was dropping

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think I’m having a hard time separating the two shows and I’m treating it as if it were season 0.
It’s heavy on the court politics, as was GOT, but it feels like either GOT had much more going for it or this is just missing something for me.
Well five episodes in to got you had basically the Lannister and starks at war. I'm sure they put the crabfeeder stuff in this to give us some fighting now because the civil war to come is the queen and the princess's kids (like 20 years calendar). But all this precedes the bloodshed. This also doesn't have Peter dinklage or Aidan gillen who are basically the best parts in my opinion of game of thrones

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Well five episodes in to got you had basically the Lannister and starks at war. I'm sure they put the crabfeeder stuff in this to give us some fighting now because the civil war to come is the queen and the princess's kids. But all this precedes the bloodshed. This also doesn't have Peter dinklage or Aidan gillen who are basically the best parts in my opinion of game of thrones
I’m not attached to a single character this season. GOT had a significant amount of characters right off the bat that were instant, if not short lived, fan favorites.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
The way they built up the climax last night was great imo. For not knowing the source material, you didn’t know which shoe was dropping
exactly. Glad I didnt read the books because it really adds to the suspense. I really want to read it tho lol

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I’m not attached to a single character this season. GOT had a significant amount of characters right off the bat that were instant, if not short lived, fan favorites.
Totally. I'm with you on that with HOD. But that was a huge hook in GOT. To think that JS was a main character to the series in the first season....there were 2 to 3 starks higher.

HOD was never going to have that, or be able to do that, because it's just more straightforward. It's basically 2 families and some side players.

At the moment, I'm intrigued to watch Alicent burn it all down. Shes pissed....

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I think the new show doesn't lack intriguing characters. Most of them are grey characters and not straight up good guys like the Starks, but that makes it more interesting, imo.
I honestly don’t think I can name a single character on this show.
The closest character to me to being likable is the current queen.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I think that's by design though. There really isn't a "good" guy vs. a "bad" guy.

The Starks were morally sound & the Lannisters were despicable to begin with. In this story, everyone has their pros and cons instantly.

I actually feel very attached to Viserys, personally. I feel bad for him. He's a good man, but a few wrong decisions has you shake your head at him.

I think the new show doesn't lack intriguing characters. Most of them are grey characters and not straight up good guys like the Starks, but that makes it more interesting, imo.

Exactly. GOT Season 1 was very obvious as to who you should root for. HOTD does not have an obvious choice. They all have problems you can't support.

Also, there's no war, so there's really no rallying point yet. We all wanted the Starks to beat the Lannisters - but now...what side is there to choose? (yet)

Reactions: TCTC

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I think that's by design though. There really isn't a "good" guy vs. a "bad" guy.

The Starks were morally sound & the Lannisters were despicable to begin with. In this story, everyone has their pros and cons instantly.

I actually feel very attached to Viserys, personally. I feel bad for him. He's a good man, but a few wrong decisions has you shake your head at him.

Exactly. GOT Season 1 was very obvious as to who you should root for. HOTD does not have an obvious choice. They all have problems you can't support.

Also, there's no war, so there's really no rallying point yet. We all wanted the Starks to beat the Lannisters - but now...what side is there to choose? (yet)
I’m not looking for good or bad, just someone interesting enough that isn’t annoying to like in the show. I have zero issues rooting for a bad guy, but the show hasn’t given me anyone to care about.

I liked many of the lannisters early on, even after Jamie pushed bran out of the window. They were likable even if they did horrendous things.
No one in this show seems to have any charisma.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I’m not looking for good or bad, just someone interesting enough that isn’t annoying to like in the show. I have zero issues rooting for a bad guy, but the show hasn’t given me anyone to care about.

But there isn't a clearly bad guy, either. Maybe Daemon is the closest, but even then that's not clear.

I'm stunned you don't have anyone you're entertained by at the very least.

This is a weird question maybe, but: Do you *want* to like this show? Like are you closed to it?

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
But there isn't a clearly bad guy, either. Maybe Daemon is the closest, but even then that's not clear.

This is a weird question maybe, but: Do you *want* to like this show? Like are you closed to it?
Yeah ...I mean there is no real dynamic character yet like GoT but I think the actors so far have done a good job. It's easy to try and compare....I mean it was hard last night not to compare the wedding to the Red Wedding.....but it was well played for what is building up. I think people are judging too harshly and too soon.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah ...I mean there is no real dynamic character yet like GoT but I think the actors so far have done a good job. It's easy to try and compare....I mean it was hard last night not to compare the wedding to the Red Wedding.....but it was well played for what is building up. I think people are judging too harshly and too soon.

Pretty much.

I mean, I talk about Game of Thrones a lot. I was a huge fan and I YouTube somewhat successfully about it.

The GOT community largely loves what HOTD is doing. Yeah maybe they aren't in love with anyone like they were with Ned instantly, or hate anyone as easily as Joffrey, but so far there isn't a Ned or a Joffrey...maybe over time it'll develop, but right now every character is flawed in some way. Lots of grey...but a very good story to enjoy.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I think I’m having a hard time separating the two shows and I’m treating it as if it were season 0.
It’s heavy on the court politics, as was GOT, but it feels like either GOT had much more going for it or this is just missing something for me.
ASoIaF covered much more of the world. There was a lot of trying to figure out how things were going to intertwine and what was going to be important. You started out with Dany, Ned, Robert, Cersei, John, Tyrion, etc. all spread out all over the place, coming and going and crossing each other's storylines. The current show is much tighter, everyone basically starts out in King's Landing and it goes from there.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013

I went into it with zero expectations after the last few seasons of GOT. If I didn’t currently have HBO I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to watch it. Hell, for all I know it could be the weekly episode release that’s hurting my enjoyment of the show with so many shows dropping the whole season at once for the past few years.
The queen to be seems to be the main character (so far) but I can’t get past her fish mouth. It irks me to all hell. Her cousin is a brooding mess with no charisma. The king is the most relatable as a father but he does nothing to pull me in past that.
The white cloak can’t talk much as he’s not supposed to freely speak with royalty so his character is currently stalled until im sure future events let him grow more.
It can take me 4-6 episodes to warm up to a show usually, but never that long to find somebody in the show to like regardless of how significant their role is.

On the wire, I could not stand McNulty as a character but nearly immediately loved the supporting cast almost across the board. GOT had a ton of likable characters for different reasons.
The characters on HOD seem too one dimensional so far.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Honestly the one character I think I liked so far was the one suiter in the big room that had killed the dude that was making fun of him. In that brief bit of screen time, with half of it being off screen, I feel like he was a more complete character than most of the important characters.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I went into it with zero expectations after the last few seasons of GOT. If I didn’t currently have HBO I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to watch it. Hell, for all I know it could be the weekly episode release that’s hurting my enjoyment of the show with so many shows dropping the whole season at once for the past few years.
The queen to be seems to be the main character (so far) but I can’t get past her fish mouth. It irks me to all hell.

Really isn't much more to talk about if the shape of her very normal mouth is ruining the show for you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad