All Things Charlotte Checkers II: The Wrath of Boychuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yeah, I was looking at sportsclubstats for this, and they are way, waaay wrong. They're not really equipped to handle leagues where DIFFERENT TEAMS PLAY DIFFERENT NUMBERS OF GAMES.

That's bat**** insane.

So, thanks for the link, Sasky. Very helpful. And also deeply ridiculous.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Appears to be San Jose. Both teams have two games remaining. Charlotte controls their own destiny; win and they're in.

Oh, all of this is making more sense (still weird) with this dialogue. I was taken aback a few weeks ago when I noticed a few teams were wayyy behind in games played but thought the schedule makers were bat**** insane. Turns out the league is the one.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Oh, all of this is making more sense (still weird) with this dialogue. I was taken aback a few weeks ago when I noticed a few teams were wayyy behind in games played but thought the schedule makers were bat**** insane. Turns out the league is the one.

Pretty much...it doesn't quite seem fair because wins/losses hurt/help teams with fewer games. Could be 1 win in or out (changing win %) where having fewer games is the deciding factor.

Right now the Checkers are pulling a Canes, just win and they're in and they keep losing. Both Sat and Sun each they played about 20 min of good hockey, the rest was an atrocious display of constant mistakes and no focus (seen better ECHL hockey). Granted Milwaukee is on fire right now, but we were pitiful for most of both ganes. Even if they make it in, they face Ontario who they're 2-2 against, but they physically dominate and manhandled us, which can wear a team down quickly.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Win and they're in huh?

I like our chances, we do pretty well in that scenario :cry:

Heh.

Charlotte plays Lake Erie two games at Lake Erie back-to-back on Thursday and Friday. Lake Erie is 2nd in the Central.

San Jose plays a home-and-home against Stockton on Saturday and Sunday. Stockton is 6th in the Pacific.

Charlotte's magic number is 4; San Jose's magic number is 5. Which means that if Charlotte gets the same amount of points in the next two games as Lake Erie gets, they're in -- and if San Jose gets one more point than Charlotte does, they're out.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
We called up their best player and broke him. Checkers were 0-6 without Derek Ryan this year, three of which were their last three.

San Jose needs one point to get in. Pretty sure they'll get it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sucks to have another year without playoffs down there. And with some really poor play down the stretch. They did struggle with injuries though, and we had a lot of call ups down the stretch. Even when guys got sent back down, they were playing crazy amounts of games in short times. Not even counting getting hurt up here, but I think Ryan played like 5 games in 6 nights once between the AHL and NHL. That is tough.

As we add depth, and better players, Charlotte should definitely do better. Still a likely disappointing end.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Such a joke this happened again. They also had that stretch in February that killed them.

Can't blame Jeff Daniels for this one. I'm going to blame the Bojangles Coliseum instead.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Such a joke this happened again. They also had that stretch in February that killed them.

Can't blame Jeff Daniels for this one. I'm going to blame the Bojangles Coliseum instead.

I'm going to blame Derek Wilkinson, who somehow weaseled his way behind the bench back in January when Mark Morris was out for over a week with the flu...that's when our "points in 17 of 18" ended and we went on like a 14 game losing streak or something awful like that (can't even remember anymore). Ever since then the team pretty much looked like an ECHL team, with the exception of about 5-6 games after trade deadline trades. We had injuries, yes, call-ups, tons, but that's no excuse for how awful they played down the stretch (i.e. giving up a 2-0 lead for a 5-2 loss tonight).

By my calculations, if San Jose does anything other than get 2 regulation losses in their last 2 games, they're in. Such an organizational thing to do, 1 win out of the last 5 basically secured us a spot...and we dropped them all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad