All Things Charlotte Checkers II: The Wrath of Boychuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
While I think that most expected more, I was pretty happy with Sergey Tolchinsky this season. He started off incredibly slow, but really came on in the last 40 games or so. 36 points in 72 games for his first full season in the AHL is pretty solid. I would think with another summer of strength building he could be more of a difference-maker for the Checkers next year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
While I think that most expected more, I was pretty happy with Sergey Tolchinsky this season. He started off incredibly slow, but really came on in the last 40 games or so. 36 points in 72 games for his first full season in the AHL is pretty solid. I would think with another summer of strength building he could be more of a difference-maker for the Checkers next year.

While more strength would certainly help, I think it's more about adapting to the AHL game, improving his play away from the puck and utilizing others (from what I've read as I've only seen him play a couple times). Once that came around, his scoring came around (and presumably the coach was giving him more / better ice time).

Quotes from Morris mid season:

“It’s a hard lesson to learn, but the sooner you figure that out, the more ice time you’ll see,†said Morris. “When he starts sharing the puck with more regularity, it’ll certainly add to our team.â€

“We’re making some progress with Sergey,†said Morris. “He’s a little stubborn at times, but he’s a good kid. I think when he figures things out and learns to manage the puck better and defend better, it will only accentuate his playmaking skills.â€

I agree though, he "should" be able to hit the ground running next season as he can draw on what he's learned this past season and it will be his 2nd season in this system.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
While more strength would certainly help, I think it's more about adapting to the AHL game, improving his play away from the puck and utilizing others (from what I've read as I've only seen him play a couple times). Once that came around, his scoring came around (and presumably the coach was giving him more / better ice time).

Quotes from Morris mid season:

I agree though, he "should" be able to hit the ground running next season as he can draw on what he's learned this past season and it will be his 2nd season in this system.

Yeah, that too....which is what I heard happened, he started to realize that his game was better when he used his linemates. If you look at the game reports, he really came on the last 3 months or so...with many more assists (which surprisingly he was effective at in the CHL.)

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Maybe he just didn't like the organizational set up? Who knows, but being happy is is more important to him, obviously. Best of luck to him.

Given how then end of the year went and how drastically differently the team played after Derek Wilkinson weaseled his way back behind the bench while Morris was sick (started playing the old Wilkie ECHL style), it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that had something to do with it. A lot of us long time Checkers fans noticed and feel the same way

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Why couldn't it simply be that the offer was better in college? :dunno: And has nothing really to do with how things transpired in Charlotte or the organization.

I went to a college that had a D1 hockey program and the coach was treated like a "God". He might have better perks with the job as well. Not sure, but I could see that being the case vs. an AHL job in Charlotte. Anyhow, sorry to see him go.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
The Checkers website has announced that Rissanan has signed up with Jokert for the coming year also. Too bad. May look bad on the Canes to potential Euros? I hope not.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
The Checkers website has announced that Rissanan has signed up with Jokert for the coming year also. Too bad. May look bad on the Canes to potential Euros? I hope not.

I wouldn't think so...he's a former 6th round pick who just didn't pan out after 5 years in the AHL

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Won't look bad at all. He just wasn't good enough to play in the NHL so he's going back to play at home. Not unusual and happens to every NHL franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad