All Things Charlotte Checkers II: The Wrath of Boychuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I don't recall Carrick being touted as this good of an offensive defenseman. How is he on the defensive side?

Throw 'im into the mix for next year. Need to get his American citizenship ASAP though.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I don't recall Carrick being touted as this good of an offensive defenseman. How is he on the defensive side?

Throw 'im into the mix for next year. Need to get his American citizenship ASAP though.

Carrick has an absolute bomb of a shot. I don't think he's as offensive as some of our other guys like where I believe Pesce and Slavin will be in a couple of years, but he should have an upside that will see him on the powerplay. I think the reason he is somewhat behind the curve as far as getting a call up is that I would imagine that Carolina views Ryan Murphy as significantly better offensively with only a marginal drop defensively. Plus, this is Murphy's year to prove he's still on our individual radar. There are plenty of teams that would claim him if we decided to waive him next season. We need to see what we're cutting bait on. This AHL stint has a lot to do with getting his offensive confidence where it needs to be.

Carrick has some trouble diagnosing the defensive zone, but I don't think it's anything beyond correctable. He's just a year or more younger than Slavin and Pesce. But any time you have a guy that can create his own shots and can zip the puck better than 92 mph or so, you've got a guy that can contribute something eventually. The key for Carrick is going to be showing that he has the footspeed to play up here and additionally making strides in his own zone.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I remember reading an article a couple weeks back where Carrick stated he needed to focus on getting better in his own zone and building an "NHL body" so that he could have a chance at a call-up. He's not small, but still pretty slight for being 6'2" (185 lbs). With the exception of Liles, every single Canes Defenseman is over 200lbs and all of them can skate. I'm guessing those 2 things (D-Zone more than body) are probably limiting his call-up opportunities more than anything. If you struggle in the D-Zone, I can't see Peters playing you (which is why Murphy's in Charlotte also).

Still, it's nice to see him progress and think it will be interesting next year. I'm guessing that Faulk, Hainsey, Wiz, Hanifin, Slavin and Pesce have the inside track on the top 6 next year. Fleury will probably start in the AHL so that could leave Carrick and Murphy for the #7 spot?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Took the wife and a bunch of family to the game tonight for a surprise birthday for my wife, she caught onto what is going on when I got our tickets and then lingered before entering the game.

Tol had a highlight reel goal, but lost 4-1 after a ENG to seal the loss.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
What has happened to the Checkers? They have lost 7 in a row. Did we stunt Altshuller's momentum with the call up?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe he was on a hot streak that was unsustainable? Looks more like scoring has dried up though. In those 7 games, they've only scored more than 2 goals once, and that was an OTL:

1G (L); 4G (OTL); 1G (L); 0G (L); 1G (L); 2G (L); 2G (L)

So 11 goals in 7 games during this streak. Compare that to 27 goals in the 7 games prior to this losing streak.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
From the couple games I've seen recently, Altschuller still played well, but the team around him has regressed to ECHL level of play...seriously, they've been embarassingly awful. They could barely string together 2 passes, never held the puck in the o-zone, mostly made dump-shots, and the defense stood around. Morris has missed several games coaching due to illness, which unfortunately means Derek Wilkinson has been filling in, which pretty much explains why they look like the ECHL team we had under the last few years of his reign. Not sure why we went from points in 17 of 18 games to a 7-game skid...4 of which were to bottom-dwellers Iowa and San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad