All Things AHL Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Any word on these two for avs fans who know nothing about that tier of your prospect pool?

As others have said, these 2 guys are ECHL caliber for the most part. Out of our 33 prospects I have then ranked 29 and 31.

The guys you're going to want to head to San Antonio instead of the Wolves are guys like Dunn, Walman (one of those 2 are likely to make the Blues IMO), Blais, Thompson, Husso, Schmaltz (he could make the Blues too) and Musil.

Those are our quality pro prospects. Barbashev too but I'd be shocked if he didn't make the Blues.

I would imagine the Rampage won't have room for all of these top guys that'll get sent down but the guys in that group are the ones that'll most help your team.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Do you guys know where Bennett, Butler and the other guy on waivers are going?
a mixture between Chicago and San Antonio, depending on the position and which team has an opening.

I definitely see Butler going to Chi due to him being the Cap last year if I remember correctly.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Butler to San Antonio

Bennett and Lindbohm to Chicago.

I'm guessing Lindbohm's assignment means whichever of Dunn and Walman that is sent down will go to San Antonio

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Interesting to see Butler headed to San Antonio but regardless, he's a solid vet any rookie can learn from. Lindbohm needs a massive 2017-18. Took too many steps back last season

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Butler to San Antonio

I'm guessing Lindbohm's assignment means whichever of Dunn and Walman that is sent down will go to San Antonio
No surprise there. The Blues need to send as many of their top farmhands to The Rampage, so they can have the best chance to get as many minutes as possible, and to play together, and get to know each other's tendencies. Any players yet to be sent down, should be going to San Antonio.

Last edited:

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Colorado is having a major announcement tomorrow (Monday) at their ECHL team's arena. It's expected that they will make their move from San Antonio official.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Butler to San Antonio

Doesn't it feel like sending players to Chicago is a death sentence of sorts? A relegation? An acknowledgement by management of their inferiority?

With that said, Vannelli stinks, so why is he in SA?

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Doesn't it feel like sending players to Chicago is a death sentence of sorts? A relegation? An acknowledgement by management of their inferiority?

Vannelli will likely be in the ECHL after the Blues and Avs are done sending their last remaining prospects down

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Eh, Im not so sure, there are probably other considerations as well. Like limits on the # of vets on AHL rosters, and we probably have different agreements with both teams (like on how many players, positions, cost sharing, etc we are expected to maintain with them). Chicago has always tried to be competitive because they are independently run, they might prefer guys like Bennett and Lindbohm who have 3+ professional seasons under their belt (plus there is a better chance they will be there for a full season).

Silly question, but will the Blues move players between the two AHL teams without a trade occuring? Like can they move Husso to Chicago for nothing if Chicago's goalie was to get hurt (if all teams agreed to it)? I kind of remember the "loaning" of players down there in the past but havent seen it in awhile.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Eh, Im not so sure, there are probably other considerations as well. Like limits on the # of vets on AHL rosters, and we probably have different agreements with both teams (like on how many players, positions, cost sharing, etc we are expected to maintain with them). Chicago has always tried to be competitive because they are independently run, they might prefer guys like Bennett and Lindbohm who have 3+ professional seasons under their belt (plus there is a better chance they will be there for a full season).

Silly question, but will the Blues move players between the two AHL teams without a trade occuring? Like can they move Husso to Chicago for nothing if Chicago's goalie was to get hurt (if all teams agreed to it)? I kind of remember the "loaning" of players down there in the past but havent seen it in awhile.

Not a silly question at all.

This is an excellent question and I wondered the same thing.

I think what you are referring to is the agreement between the NHL and AHL regarding loaning players on NHL contracts. Rather, it is the CONTRACT that is being loaned, which makes sense because that is the financial tool. Parsed language, for sure, but the 2013 CBA is a legal instrument that demands precision.

Here is the section to which you are referring:

It is mutually agreed that the Club shall have the right to Assign or to Loan this SPC [i.e. Standard Player's Contract] and the Player agrees to accept and be bound by such Assignment or Loan, and will faithfully perform and carry out this SPC with the same purpose and effect as if it had been entered into by the Player and such other club.

It is further mutually agreed that in the event that this SPC is Assigned, or the Player's services are Loaned, to another club, the club shall by notice in writing delivered to the Player advise the Player of the name and address of the club to which he has been Assigned or Loaned, and specify the time and place of reporting. If the Player fails to report to such other club, he may be suspended by such other club and no Paragraph 1 Salary shall be payable to him during the period of such suspension.

A cursory Google search yielded nothing regarding AHL-to-AHL loans.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Not a silly question at all.

This is an excellent question and I wondered the same thing.

I think what you are referring to is the agreement between the NHL and AHL regarding loaning players on NHL contracts. Rather, it is the CONTRACT that is being loaned, which makes sense because that is the financial tool. Parsed language, for sure, but the 2013 CBA is a legal instrument that demands precision.

Here is the section to which you are referring:

A cursory Google search yielded nothing regarding AHL-to-AHL loans.

Brett Sterling was he guy I was thinking of, but he was traded between AHL teams, but the Blues retained his rights.

Could be interesting. Like if Chicago is good, and San Antonio is awful, could they "reassign" its good players? Or "trade" like Lindbohm for any combo of Dunn/Walman/Husso/Thompson/etc- anyone that made Chicago better? I think the AHL trade deadline is around the same time as the NHLs, so one team or the other would have to really be out of it for it to make sense.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Brett Sterling was he guy I was thinking of, but he was traded between AHL teams, but the Blues retained his rights.

Could be interesting. Like if Chicago is good, and San Antonio is awful, could they "reassign" its good players? Or "trade" like Lindbohm for any combo of Dunn/Walman/Husso/Thompson/etc- anyone that made Chicago better? I think the AHL trade deadline is around the same time as the NHLs, so one team or the other would have to really be out of it for it to make sense.

I don't see any restrictions barring AHL teams from trading their players to another AHL team, even if they are under NHL contract. It appears that the agreement is between GMs and that the player pretty much has no legal recourse in the transaction.

I would hypothesize that San Antonio and Chicago could swap Blues' prospects, as guided by Blues' management, without any compliance violation. As long as both GMs are in agreement, then it should be treated as a regular trade.

I would imagine, however, that if SA and CHI take advantage of this inherent flexibility, that the AHL will step in before the start of next season to clarify some rule and regs, not for the purpose of restriction, but of regulation and League-wide fairness.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Walman was sent down to Chicago, where he can't get to play with the better Blues' farmhands. I guess that was due to no room left for high-level defencemen on The Rampage, but The Wolves want him for their power play, and to play in their Top 4.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Walman was sent down to Chicago, where he can't get to play with the better Blues' farmhands. I guess that was due to no room left for high-level defencemen on The Rampage, but The Wolves want him for their power play, and to play in their Top 4.
Walman will get plenty of ice time. Wolves want to win more then anything. He's too good to be sat.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Wolves kick off their season tonight against the Texas Stars while our new affiliate the Rampage start tomorrow night against the Ontario Reign. Going to be watching almost every game for both teams giving updates on the Baby Blues.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Calvin Pickard cleared waivers and is on the Wolves now. I guess Binnington is screwed after all. Neal was activated from IR, but Ship, Tuch, and Theodore are still Wolves at the moment. McPhee stinks.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Calvin Pickard cleared waivers and is on the Wolves now. I guess Binnington is screwed after all. Neal was activated from IR, but Ship, Tuch, and Theodore are still Wolves at the moment. McPhee stinks.
There’s going to have to be some sort of loan elsewhere. Last season when the Wolves had three goalies Binnington went almost a month without playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->