All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I have trouble envisioning 3x Stanley Cup champions doing the storm surge. I guess seeing will be believing.

Stanley Cup champions won't take part in the nonsense.

Well, other than Justin Williams (3x), Jordan Staal and Rod Brind'Amour.:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I don't care for the storm surge, but it's pretty benign these days, unlike the early years. I'd be fine if it ended, but don't think it's that big of a deal either in the regular season.

Reactions: Tryamw and ndp

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Skill wise, fine, but he seems so serious for the Canes. I know the human element of performance and chemistry isn’t really valued here over stats but I am trying to picture who he’d buddy up with? Maybe Aho? As he comes across as the one with the most eye on the prize attitude of anyone currently on the team to me.

I have trouble envisioning 3x Stanley Cup champions doing the storm surge. I guess seeing will be believing.
Who does he befriend? Slavin, Andersen, de Haan again. Probably has a lot of good talks with Staal about leadership and timing for putting a boot in their asses.

And it was mentioned above, but the current Storm Surge is rarely more than the Hawks salute to the fans at center ice these days. It’s a clap instead of just a stick raise.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Stanley Cup champions won't take part in the nonsense.

Well, other than Justin Williams (3x), Jordan Staal and Rod Brind'Amour.:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I don't care for the storm surge, but it's pretty benign these days, unlike the early years. I'd be fine if it ended, but don't think it's that big of a deal either in the regular season.
Justin is part of the rebirth of the organization and an ambassador with greater attachment willing to do many non-game related things to turn things around. No surprise, that you choose to overlook that aspect.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Justin is part of the rebirth of the organization and an ambassador with greater attachment willing to do many non-game related things to turn things around. No surprise, that you choose to overlook that aspect.
LOL. I didn't overlook anything. I took your words, verbatim, and provided an example the contradicted your assertion.

Either way, I think the storm surge, particularly in its current fashion has zero to do with anything when it comes to players wanting to come here or not wanting to come here. Like I said, I'd be glad if it goes away, but don't think it's a big deal in its current form in the regular season either.

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
LOL. I didn't overlook anything. I took your words, verbatim, and provided an example the contradicted your assertion.

Either way, I think the storm surge, particularly in its current fashion has zero to do with anything when it comes to players wanting to come here or not wanting to come here. Like I said, I'd be glad if it goes away, but don't think it's a big deal in its current form in the regular season either.
Yes, I forgot they're all Legos with no other motivations that affect any of their decisions or performance.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yes, I forgot they're all Legos with no other motivations that affect any of their decisions or performance.
I think it's fair to say that you made assumptions on Toews motivations based on nothing but your own speculation in a similar manner. In the end, you may be right, but no need to make snide comments when others give examples that contradict that. It's ok to have different opinions.

I realize my first comment was full of sarcasm, so I'm not upset with any snide comments back.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I heard Ottawa was going to pay a good price to dump Zaitsev :naughty:

I was thinking something like Kevin Hayes (and his entire cap hit) for Philly's top-3 protected 1st, because Chuck Fletcher still thinks that the Flyers "can compete" and spend to the cap next year! I would officially change my name to TheReelChuckFletcher if he did anything nearly as incompetent as that.

Reactions: Stickpucker

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I think it's fair to say that you made assumptions on Toews motivations based on nothing but your own speculation in a similar manner. In the end, you may be right, but no need to make snide comments when others give examples that contradict that. It's ok to have different opinions.

I realize my first comment was full of sarcasm, so I'm not upset with any snide comments back.
Fair enough. I guess I read here about how the organization is perceived or even mistreated or undervalued by the league, officials, media, etc. So, if true, I wonder if players also carry those views or misconceptions as well as they are members of the community?

I work in a field where brand, market, relationships, personal preferences count for a lot so I am guilty of looking at situations that way re: behavior and choice.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Fair enough. I guess I read here about how the organization is perceived or even mistreated or undervalued by the league, officials, media, etc. So, if true, I wonder if players also carry those views or misconceptions as well as they are members of the community?

I work in a field where brand, market, relationships, personal preferences count for a lot so I am guilty of looking at situations that way re: behavior and choice.
And I admit that coming from an Engineering background, I probably discount things like relationships, brand and personal preferences more than I probably should. it's why I enjoy our discussions (even if it doesn't come across that way). It's a side that makes me look at a different perspective.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
if it cost you Necas+
isildur-no.gif

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Could re-sign Meier probably?
So they trade Necas, who is having a comparable season to Meier within Carolina's system, who is 2 years younger than Meier, and who is signed for $6M less than Meier will likely be making next year, in hopes they could re-sign Meier after the trade?

Why not just re-sign Necas? Or better yet, move prospects and picks for just Meier and try to sign both?

Necas for Meier is rearranging deck chairs, not stocking up at forward.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
So they trade Necas, who is having a comparable season to Meier within Carolina's system, who is 2 years younger than Meier, and who is signed for $6M less than Meier will likely be making next year, in hopes they could re-sign Meier after the trade?

Why not just re-sign Necas? Or better yet, move prospects and picks for just Meier and try to sign both?

Necas for Meier is rearranging deck chairs, not stocking up at forward.
I really like your roster and I just thought push now would be cool. How much cap space you expecting next year?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I really like your roster and I just thought push now would be cool. How much cap space you expecting next year?
Management is not sacrificing the immediate future for a single year or 2 year push. Everything they have done reads expanding the length of the window over maximizing a specific year.

In terms of cap? Pacioretty, Jordan Staal, Fast, Stastny, Gardiner (LTIR), Kase (LTIR but maybe coming back?) and both goalies come off the books. Staal will likely be re-signed for less, but the rest likely move on. Kochetkov will take Raanta's spot, and either Andersen comes back for a similar salary or someone else is signed for a similar salary to Andersen as a tandem with Kochetkov.

There is space to either bring in another C or another top wing without giving up young roster players.

Reactions: DaveG

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Management is not sacrificing the immediate future for a single year or 2 year push. Everything they have done reads expanding the length of the window over maximizing a specific year.

In terms of cap? Pacioretty, Jordan Staal, Fast, Stastny, Gardiner (LTIR), Kase (LTIR but maybe coming back?) and both goalies come off the books. Staal will likely be re-signed for less, but the rest likely move on. Kochetkov will take Raanta's spot, and either Andersen comes back for a similar salary or someone else is signed for a similar salary to Andersen as a tandem with Kochetkov.

There is space to either bring in another C or another top wing without giving up young roster players.
Yeah I just did an armchair gm. Yep you still got plenty of space. How much will Aho cost? 9-10.5?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Seems like the top teams in the Metro are gearing up for an arms race this deadline.

Out of curiosity, who do Carolina fans expect the Hurricanes to be targeting trade-wise?

From the outside looking in, it seems like Larkin would make a ton of sense now that Horvat is off the board. Not sure if that’s just the Devils fan in me hoping the Hurricanes interest in Meier is just noise to drive up the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad